Despaigne called up; Delmonico released; Fry to IL

ChiSox59

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hi grammar police here. You and many others use " would of", or "could of" or "should of". Did your English teachers not teach you about contractions ? That's when you take 2 words and contract them into one word by deleting a few letters of the 2nd word and connect the 2 words using an apostrophe, For example: would have becomes would've.Used in a sentence,  " Cease would've been called up by now". Somewhere along the way would've, should 've, and could've, have been bastardized into would of, should of ,and could of, I assume because when you say it that's how it sounds.

God only knows I don't use perfect grammar and I am constantly editing my posts because of typos but I see that mistake so often it always made me wonder how or why it happens.

Good for you to mention this.  You might think of yourself as Grammar Police, but you are actually doing folks a favor.  If a business letter goes out with this style of prose, the recipient might think that the sender is uneducated at best, or just lazy at worst.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

You know, he was able to get a lot of time in the major leagues whereas had he been claimed by most other teams he would have never had the chance. This is a happy story even if he didn't produce at the level he wishes he could have.

I remember how hard his mom cried when he scored his first run. 

Even though the release sounds cold, they actually didn't hurt him at all. He still gets paid. He can re-sign or pick another place. It's not like he was going to be able to improve his postion any time soon. So he either re-signs or gets a head start on a new team with their rehab program.

26 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Good for you to mention this.  You might think of yourself as Grammar Police, but you are actually doing folks a favor.  If a business letter goes out with this style of prose, the recipient might think that the sender is uneducated at best, or just lazy at worst.

yea but this is an internet forum.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Even though the release sounds cold, they actually didn't hurt him at all. He still gets paid. He can re-sign or pick another place. It's not like he was going to be able to improve his postion any time soon. So he either re-signs or gets a head start on a new team with their rehab program.

He's guaranteed 34K a year plus medical for the rest of his life.  His big league dream might be over for a year (or forever) but he's fine.   On another club he might never have seen a single day in MLB.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Covey, Fulmer, Frare, Marshall, Osich, and Ruiz say you are nuts.

And Juan Minaya, Viera, and Aaron Bummer would say they think too much...

When the run disparity is as extreme as it is between MLB and the IL and PCL this year, all that matters is league runs. The best pitcher in the IL has an ERA of 3. The best pitcher in the MLB is under 2. The amount of runs scored in the league tells you how hard it is to prevent runs there. Good for Covey and Fulmer for being better there.

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hi grammar police here. You and many others use " would of", or "could of" or "should of". Did your English teachers not teach you about contractions ? That's when you take 2 words and contract them into one word by deleting a few letters of the 2nd word and connect the 2 words using an apostrophe, For example: would have becomes would've.Used in a sentence,  " Cease would've been called up by now". Somewhere along the way would've, should 've, and could've, have been bastardized into would of, should of ,and could of, I assume because when you say it that's how it sounds.

God only knows I don't use perfect grammar and I am constantly editing my posts because of typos but I see that mistake so often it always made me wonder how or why it happens.

Officer Phillips from the Grammar Police Department reporting in with additional violations:

Constant improper use of the 3 forms of the word "there".  "There" is a place, such as I'm going over there.  "Their" is a possessive, such as their house.  And the last one is the most common error:  "They're" is a contraction for "they are", such as they're coming.  It's hardly ever used correctly--most people use the other versions when this is the correct one.

Another frequent misuse is "to" instead of "too" when used in place of the word also.

I know a lot of you guys hate these grammar police comments, and you will probably b**** about it, but if you're going to post something, nothing wrong with doing it correctly. 

I suggest the Sox save everyone time and energy and place the entire pitching staff on the IL with "sore shoulders."

Again you wonder what these guys are doing in the off season conditioning wise or possibly what they aren't doing.

Fry, Burr and Hamilton are getting as bad as the days of Putnam and Petricka.

22 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I suggest the Sox save everyone time and energy and place the entire pitching staff on the IL with "sore shoulders."

Again you wonder what these guys are doing in the off season conditioning wise or possibly what they aren't doing.

Fry, Burr and Hamilton are getting as bad as the days of Putnam and Petricka.

Wasn't Hamilton's from a car accident?

52 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

And Juan Minaya, Viera, and Aaron Bummer would say they think too much...

When the run disparity is as extreme as it is between MLB and the IL and PCL this year, all that matters is league runs. The best pitcher in the IL has an ERA of 3. The best pitcher in the MLB is under 2. The amount of runs scored in the league tells you how hard it is to prevent runs there. Good for Covey and Fulmer for being better there.

That is implying the pitchers with ERAs in the 2s in MLB would not have them if they played in AAA, and the guys with 3.00 eras in AAA might be I the 2s facing better hitters. That is pretty laughable.

I'll give you two reasons why we should bring Cease up now 1) The difference between Giolito this year and Giolito last year.  2) The difference between Moncada this year and Moncada last year. 

Sox did the same thing with both guys: brought them up for a brief time in August of 2017. Going through September, everything looked peachy. But for both guys, 2018 was a huge let down, using the word terrible (less for Moncada) is not off base. 

But this year?!!! Given a full year, then an off season to ferment and correct things, the White Sox have two very special players now. Since we saw what happened with both of them when they were brought up in August and how the next year was a lost year, why repeat that mistake with Cease?

I say don't follow that formula. Bring Cease up now, give him more than 8 or 6 weeks in the majors to learn and (yes) struggle. I say give him the end of June, then July, August, and September; whatever he can take for pitched innings, but let it be facing major league pressure and major league bats. Giolito and Moncada had to struggle first, let's get that struggle over with Cease now. Why waste next year? 

Here's a crazy idea (and I know I keep putting this out there), but let's try to win. Let's try to win now, and absolutely, let's try to win next year. Is Cease great? Is he perfect? I don't know, but he's a hell of a lot better than the guy we're throwing against the Nats tonight. Pitch Cease in the majors and let him start taking his lumps and learning, just like Lucas and Yoan did last year, but let's get that out of the way so that the Sox can start winning for real next year. 

• Like 2

If Delmonico isn't upset with us, seems reasonable to think we might sign him to a minor league deal. He's a good guy, I hope he gets healthy and finds his way back to the show somewhere.

I'm kind of intrigued by Despaigne. He's shown an ability to be a competent starter in the past and when I look at his numbers I can't help but wonder if he might be more effective if he simplified his repertoire. He has all these different pitches and some are better than others. With the data available now, he might want to stick with the ones that work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

I'll give you two reasons why we should bring Cease up now 1) The difference between Giolito this year and Giolito last year.  2) The difference between Moncada this year and Moncada last year. 

Sox did the same thing with both guys: brought them up for a brief time in August of 2017. Going through September, everything looked peachy. But for both guys, 2018 was a huge let down, using the word terrible (less for Moncada) is not off base. 

But this year?!!! Given a full year, then an off season to ferment and correct things, the White Sox have two very special players now. Since we saw what happened with both of them when they were brought up in August and how the next year was a lost year, why repeat that mistake with Cease?

I say don't follow that formula. Bring Cease up now, give him more than 8 or 6 weeks in the majors to learn and (yes) struggle. I say give him the end of June, then July, August, and September; whatever he can take for pitched innings, but let it be facing major league pressure and major league bats. Giolito and Moncada had to struggle first, let's get that struggle over with Cease now. Why waste next year? 

Here's a crazy idea (and I know I keep putting this out there), but let's try to win. Let's try to win now, and absolutely, let's try to win next year. Is Cease great? Is he perfect? I don't know, but he's a hell of a lot better than the guy we're throwing against the Nats tonight. Pitch Cease in the majors and let him start taking his lumps and learning, just like Lucas and Yoan did last year, but let's get that out of the way so that the Sox can start winning for real next year. 

Nobody should be rushed beyond what they can handle but I'm not sure how much more Cease is going to improve going against AAA hitters.   As you noted there is development that needs to occur for almost every player at the MLB level for 2-3 years after becoming a full time MLB player.  We've seen it with Gio and Moncada and Anderson and to a lesser extent (lesser talent) with Yolmer and Leury.

Robert is going to be in the same boat next June when he's slashing something like 300/330/550 in Charlotte.  How much more developing can he do down there?

3 hours ago, oldsox said:

Well it's the internet and there are times when I have to catch myself from typing  "U R" instead of "you are" and others things we use to make messaging faster . Contractions I probably learned in 4th or 5th grad so I think it just bothers me a little bit thinking is it the education or just messaging in general for the reason people use "of" instead of  've since its been over 50 years since I was in 4th grade.

20 minutes ago, Jake said:

If Delmonico isn't upset with us, seems reasonable to think we might sign him to a minor league deal. He's a good guy, I hope he gets healthy and finds his way back to the show somewhere.

I'm kind of intrigued by Despaigne. He's shown an ability to be a competent starter in the past and when I look at his numbers I can't help but wonder if he might be more effective if he simplified his repertoire. He has all these different pitches and some are better than others. With the data available now, he might want to stick with the ones that work.

If he is upset, so be it. He was going to be a 40 man roster casualty had they waited until October anyway. 

Did anybody else just watch "Sports Talk Live", literally just five minutes ago. The consensus of all four sport writers was bring Cease up now. One guy even quoted Frank Thomas as saying it's time to bring him up. Sorry, I don't know the various writers' names, but one said there's nothing wrong with letting Cease come up and learning from whatever mistakes he makes. The writer followed with the idea that he's heard that Cease is really mentally tough and confident and he can deal with it. They all agreed that sooner or later, he has to face the big leagues, why not now. 

Come on White Sox!!!! Bring Cease up. Let the excitment begin. 

They also went on a rave about Eloy's homeruns over the weekend and finished with how scary it is to think that Luis might be the best of all the White Sox prospects considering how good Eloy, Moncada, and Giolito are looking. 

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Entertain your friends with the hit new craze: White Sox pitcher or Democratic Presidential candidate?

Michael Bennet
John Osich
Seth Moulton
Evan Marshall
Ryan Burr
Eric Swalwell
Wayne Messam
Caleb Frare
John Delaney

I like it. Both have a number of names that come and go and won't last long.