White Sox vs Nationals 7:10 CT Despaigne vs Anibal Sanchez

Kyyle23

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Agreed.

What makes you say that? (re: Anderson)

I would've agreed with you last year but the quality of his PAs is awesome this year, way better than Leury's IMO. 

Anderson sees a lot fewer pitches per at bat than Garcia,  actually fewer than most everyone on the team.

46 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Leury will be a FA following 2020.  I agree he'd be great in a super utility role, but unless the Sox go balls deep in FA this offseason, he's pretty much guaranteed to be used as an everyday OF next season.  

Robert.

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Agreed.

What makes you say that? (re: Anderson)

I would've agreed with you last year but the quality of his PAs is awesome this year, way better than Leury's IMO. 

Timmy has a career OBP of .294.  Sure he's doing much better this year, but he has still only taken 7 walks all season.  You want you lead off hitter to get on base a lot and make the pitcher throw as many pitches as possible.  He has gotten on base at a nice clip this year due to his very strong BABIP, but really the only "lead-off" characteristic he has is speed and stolen bases.  Timmy will be a very good bottom of the order hitter for this team in the future, and I have no problem batting him there now.  I do suspect Jay will lead off when he arrives and Leury will move down.  

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Robert.

I don't think we'll see Robert until late May, but yah he'll be the CF when he arrives.  I have Leury in RF for next season right now once Robert comes up.  The OF bats I was interested in in FA next offseason make far less sense for the Sox now that the 1B/DH situation is very crowded with Vaughn in the fold.  Ozuna would have been fine in RF for a season then shifting to DH, but that may be tough if the Sox actually want to keep Abreu around.  

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Timmy has a career OBP of .294.  Sure he's doing much better this year, but he has still only taken 7 walks all season.  You want you lead off hitter to get on base a lot and make the pitcher throw as many pitches as possible.  He has gotten on base at a nice clip this year due to his very strong BABIP, but really the only "lead-off" characteristic he has is speed and stolen bases.  Timmy will be a very good bottom of the order hitter for this team in the future, and I have no problem batting him there now.  I do suspect Jay will lead off when he arrives and Leury will move down.  

I agree with that until the last two sentences, but the walking issue plagues Leury as well. I don't want either of them leading off for the long-term, but I want Tim leading off now because he's a better hitter and because I want him getting the PAs. 

When Jay is back, I'm guessing they'll go with Jay 1st, Leury 6th-8th, which I guess I would be fine with. Jay really serves no purpose anymore but whatever 

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I agree with that until the last two sentences, but the walking issue plagues Leury as well. I don't want either of them leading off for the long-term, but I want Tim leading off now because he's a better hitter and because I want him getting the PAs. 

When Jay is back, I'm guessing they'll go with Jay 1st, Leury 6th-8th, which I guess I would be fine with. Jay really serves no purpose anymore but whatever 

I agree Jay serves no purpose, but they're going to run him out there for a few weeks, and he'll likely be on another team by the end of July.  I am pretty sure we know Tilson and Cordell aren't future everyday OF.  I'd probably prefer to just keep playing those guys over Jay, but I am not going to lose any sleep over it.  

Leury is most definitely not the leadoff hitter of the future and I am not claiming him to be.  I just think he's the most logical option on the roster. To be clear, I wouldn't be outraged if the Sox flipped Anderson and Leury in the order, I just don't really have an issue with it.  

8 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'm probably totally wrong, but I have a feeling Despaigne is going to be somewhat effective for a while before crashing and burning. 

I think he’ll be fine. He’s been quite good in AAA this season. 

3 hours ago, fathom said:

I predict this is the end of the road for Yonder with another bad game

I know that's an incredibly stupid reason to keep a guy rostered, but I can't see the Sox cutting ties with him until his event is over. 

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/charities/support/basebowl-tournament

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS