Trade Idea: Andrew Cashner

bmags

I've talked about this a few times.

This rotation is difficult right now.

Cashner is not good, he's not terrible, he's that right kinda bad. He's that "what Ivan Nova should have been" kinda bad.

He's owed money, he has a vesting option he will not get based on last years work load, and so he should come cheap.

And if he does not come cheap than you don't trade for him.

Also, this is a great opportunity to mention the James Shields trade. Everyone will be extremely proud of your reference to that trade, and how you are still upset about Tatis, so please do that. Nobody is tired of it.

Anyway prove me wrong.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Cashner is not good, he's not terrible, he's that right kinda bad. He's that "what Ivan Nova should have been" kinda bad.

He's owed money, he has a vesting option he will not get based on last years work load, and so he should come cheap.

Also, this is a great opportunity to mention the James Shields trade. Everyone will be extremely proud of your reference to that trade, and how you are still upset about Tatis, so please do that. Nobody is tired of it.

Anyway prove me wrong.

Sure, I'd do it for like a Trey Michalczewski type. Not sure why Baltimore would even bother with that though. 

They have to do something though. The rotation situation is insulting to the fans, and more importantly, the guys that you want to go out there and, ya know, give a shit.

At this point, it appears the Sox are not going to end the season over .500, with or without Cashner due to the entire pitching staff.  I know everyone wants to see development and an improved record but I’d rather have one more high’ish draft pick.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, Whitesox27 said:

I hate the Sox current starting rotation situation as much as anyone, but trading for half a year of Andrew Cashner doesn't make much sense to me. The guy has a 4.73 ERA. While that's better than pretty much everyone the Sox currently have other than Giolito, it's not like Cashner would make that much of an impact. 

That’s 1.5 runs better than 2 of our starters and 3 runs better than today’s.  

8 hours ago, bmags said:

Anyway prove me wrong.

Didn't Cashner say that he liked Baltimore so much if he was traded he'd consider retiring? (Guess he likes losing too...)

4 hours ago, bmags said:

That’s 1.5 runs better than 2 of our starters and 3 runs better than today’s.  

First question — What do you think Cashner’s WAR is for the rest of the season?

Second question — Is that even worth bothering to acquire?

Third question — Cashner has a $10 million dollar team option for 2020.  Do you really want to leave it up to Hahn to not waste more money on yet another bad starter with an ERA over 5 next offseason?  Nova and Santana were enough for me.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

5 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

First question — What do you think Cashner’s WAR is for the rest of the season?

Second question — Is that even worth bothering to acquire?

Third question — Cashner has a $10 million dollar team option for 2020.  Do you really want to leave it up to Hahn to not waste more money on yet another bad starter with an ERA over 5 next offseason?  Nova and Santana were enough for me.

see how I made a thread 

It’s a vesting option for an innings amount he will not hit. See first post.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

see how I made a thread 

It’s a vesting option for an innings amount he will not hit. See first post.

Okay, I checked Cot’s and confirmed the option information.  I was wrong there.  But your reply of .6 WAR answers questions one and two, doesn’t it?

9 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Okay, I checked Cot’s and confirmed the option information.  I was wrong there.  But your reply of .6 WAR answers questions one and two, doesn’t it?

Do you understand how bad our pitchers are? 

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

Do you understand how bad our pitchers are? 

Yes, but what is barely over half a win going to do to improve this team for the rest of the season?  Why bother if it isn’t going to make them a contender?  Bring the next chump in line up from the minors.

If they were decently over .500 and you had one massive hole in the rotation, Cashner would make sense, but the Sox aren’t that close this year.

Or are you of the opinion that the Sox still have a shot at the Wild Card?

Edited by Moan4Yoan