A fair and balanced soliloquy about Jose Abreu, by ron

ron883

Love Hibbard's advanced stats about Abreu. Haters ignore Hibbard proving Abreu is not only productive to the non Sabes lovers (me, who loves his HRs and RBIs) as well as advanced stat lovers. I wish people would let Abreu be and let him be Abreu. His batting average will sink (don't know why stat lovers are looking at BA anyway) and it will go up. He knocks in a lot of runs; I'm still not sure why stat lovers hate the traditional RBI stat. It seems a sign of production to me.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Love Hibbard's advanced stats about Abreu. Haters ignore Hibbard proving Abreu is not only productive to the non Sabes lovers (me, who loves his HRs and RBIs) as well as advanced stat lovers. I wish people would let Abreu be and let him be Abreu. His batting average will sink (don't know why stat lovers are looking at BA anyway) and it will go up. He knocks in a lot of runs; I'm still not sure why stat lovers hate the traditional RBI stat. It seems a sign of production to me.

Abreu and McCann will both improve as Eloy protects them instead of an automatic out in Alonso.

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Since this thread went up, Jose is 10/17 with 2 doubles and a homer but I’m sure it’s extraordinarily concerning to Ron that he hasn’t been able to elevate his pathetic .588 batting average to a higher obp with any walks over that timeframe 

Nice post! I get a kick out of seeing people pick one advanced stat and mock the traditional stats when they dislike a player. And then with Gio suddenly they cite wins and losses cause he's so good in wins and losses right now. I mean I worship Gio like Abreu, but it's funny how the advanced stat people know exactly what they are doing. Long live HRs and RBIs Mr. Abreu.

Jose has earned the right of a sit down with GM and Jose's agent now not after the season.  It needs to be explained that it is likely more and more dhing is in the plan.  If he does not agree/understand this then you move him.  If he is agreeable and you can get decent prospects, cough cough Astros, you trade him with a gentleman's agreement of an off season resigning.  Yes there is a risk of him not coming back but his actual production can probably be replaced cheaper.  If he is adamantly against a trade then you get a fair or discounted resign which if you can't reach an agreement upon, you trade him.

Edited by BamaDoc

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Figured this was a relevant thread to post this: Astros, Rockies Had Interest In Edwin Encarnacion.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/astros-rockies-had-interest-in-edwin-encarnacion.html

Edwin was basically traded for a bag of balls. That shows you how the league values these player types.

Giving Abreu a qualifying offer or some proposals here like offering him 3/45 are utter insanity.

2 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Edwin was basically traded for a bag of balls. That shows you how the league values these player types.

Giving Abreu a qualifying offer or some proposals here like offering him 3/45 are utter insanity.

Yea a short season level guy with some upside.  Offer Jose a 2 year 20 million dollar extension.  If he turns it down he's silly.

I am an Abreu fan to an extent and believe we need him for 2020 and possible 2021 but not beyond that. If Jose ever learned how to lay off the breaking ball out of the zone he would be so much better. Even though his power numbers are good he has to be one of the most frustrating players to watch hit because you just know he could be so much better with some damn patience.

Edited by BigHurt3515

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea a short season level guy with some upside.  Offer Jose a 2 year 20 million dollar extension.  If he turns it down he's silly.

Either this or a 1/14. No need to offer him the QO. Sox really have the upper hand with him. I think he wants to be here and the market won't value him. 

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Either this or a 1/14. No need to offer him the QO. Sox really have the upper hand with him. I think he wants to be here and the market won't value him. 

1/14 seems unnecessarily rich, honestly. May be harsh, but Sox have all the leverage and frankly could probably get Abreu as cheap as 2/$18M. 

6 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I'd like him back at that price as long as it's with an understanding that 5 days a week he's the DH, not 1B.

If someone wants to overpay in a trade for him so be it but given the market for guys like Bruce and Encarnacion that's not going to happen.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd like him back at that price as long as it's with an understanding that 5 days a week he's the DH, not 1B.

If someone wants to overpay in a trade for him so be it but given the market for guys like Bruce and Encarnacion that's not going to happen.

Encarnacion, while a better bat, was due a decent amount more than Abreu. $5M opt out alone is significant on Encarnacion. 

6 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

Jose has earned the right of a sit down with GM and Jose's agent now not after the season.  It needs to be explained that it is likely more and more dhing is in the plan.  If he does not agree/understand this then you move him.  If he is agreeable and you can get decent prospects, cough cough Astros, you trade him with a gentleman's agreement of an off season resigning.  Yes there is a risk of him not coming back but his actual production can probably be replaced cheaper.  If he is adamantly against a trade then you get a fair or discounted resign which if you can't reach an agreement upon, you trade him.

I favor your idea of a discounted extension.  If that is not in the cards.. I trade him with our best wishes for his future success.

6 hours ago, raBBit said:

Agreed.  Abreu is getting older, has all of his Cuban buddies here, and may not want to move elsewhere to finish his career.  There is a huge benefit to going year to year with him.  If he tanks, you can let him go.  If he’s willing to accept team friendly deals, he could probably finish up his career as the Sox DH.

6 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Why? I'd go three years 36 million. Sox have the money and three years is about right if he's lied about his age. Nobody's probably going 3/45. I'd go 3/36 or maybe even 3/39. Do it now. Why not?

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Why? I'd go three years 36 million. Sox have the money and three years is about right if he's lied about his age. Nobody's probably going 3/45. I'd go 3/36 or maybe even 3/39. Do it now. Why not?

Cuz you likely won’t need to pay him that much so why do it?  Let’s not overpay for his past performance.  He’s not a .900 OPS guy these days and he’s not very good with the glove.  Pay Abreu for what he is worth now.

26 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Cuz you likely won’t need to pay him that much so why do it?  Let’s not overpay for his past performance.  He’s not a .900 OPS guy these days and he’s not very good with the glove.  Pay Abreu for what he is worth now.

I can buy that. I'm not against the Sox trying to pay the going rate for Jose. Is that 3/27? That'd be fine with me, too.

Just now, greg775 said:

I can buy that. I'm not against the Sox trying to pay the going rate for Jose. Is that 3/27? That'd be fine with me, too.

The key is bringing him back for 1 maybe 2 years at the most.  Abreu is turning 33 over the offseason and we don’t need to watch his decline into his retirement years.

17 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The key is bringing him back for 1 maybe 2 years at the most.  Abreu is turning 33 over the offseason and we don’t need to watch his decline into his retirement years.

If you control him for 2 or 3 years you still have the trade ability.  At this point he is still one of our best bats.  No reason to move Jose until he is in the way of Vaughn.  I think 3yrs/27 mil. is about right for both parties.  

Just now, poppysox said:

If you control him for 2 or 3 years you still have the trade ability.  At this point he is still one of our best bats.  No reason to move Jose until he is in the way of Vaughn.  I think 3yrs/27 mil. is about right for both parties.  

Abreu really hasn’t held much trade value and it won’t get any better as he ages.  If you want to keep him around until Vaughn is ready, it makes more sense to only keep him around for as short term as he will agree to.  Why go 3 years if he would take 1-2 years?