And that's a Eloy Jimenez Coming Out Party White Sox Winner

chitownsportsfan

16 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Dont make generalities because one person views it that way. While my age is not the same as his, you've never heard utter anything close to that.

However, if you want to generalize should I say that based on your comments young people think they should get paid regardless of results? It's the everyone gets a trophy generation where they expect to be paid regardless if they get results. At least I tried. Does that generalization work for you?

I don't necessarily believe that, but I do believe that younger people are rebelling somewhat against a toxic work environment and aren't willing to put up with abuses by employers anymore. Some of us have a broader definition of human rights and a lot of older people feel threatened by it. Those people are claim to be all about accountability but when they're held accountable themselves they are up in arms. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The participation trophy knock always cracks me up because it was actually the boomers who wouldnt stop crying that their kids didnt get a reward that created that culture. 10 year old kids were not demanding trophies. 

That said, the boomer generation also has had no issues giving absurdly big bonuses to countless executives who have driven companies into the ground... my favorite thing in my finance life is hearing the excuses for giving out these massive bonuses to executives at companies who are hemorrhaging money and cutting labor. Its comical and so widespread it hurts.

That said, I agree with you that generalizations are poor and people should be judged individually. I just think the "millenials or lazy or privileged" cliche is absolutely absurd. 

You might think the cliche is absurd just as I think your previous comments were absurd. This is why the generalizations are wholly inaccurate. Sure there are some that it applies to but it usually doesn't apply to the majority.

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't necessarily believe that, but I do believe that younger people are rebelling somewhat against a toxic work environment and aren't willing to put up with abuses by employers anymore. Some of us have a broader definition of human rights and a lot of older people feel threatened by it. Those people are claim to be all about accountability but when they're held accountable themselves they are up in arms. 

This isn't the place for the discussion but your view from a small sample size, again, isn't generalizable to everyone.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This isn't the place for the discussion but your view from a small sample size, again, isn't generalizable to everyone.

I wasn't generalizing, I was poking at those who feel that way in a general sense, without pointing fingers and naming names. The people who I was referring to in my original post know who they are. You're not one of them so I apologize if you took offense. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

You make a trade like that ... you never lose your job. They don't make hitters like Eloy often. Cubs had rocks in their heads to trade that guy.

Look...

No one is denying Eloy's raw power and ability. It is special and COULD help him develop into a special player. 

However, right now he's a corner outfielder with a -0.5 WAR hitting .239 with a sub .300 OBP and .741 OPS. He's had two big days in a row, for crying out loud. Would ya relax? Overall, he's been a slightly below average corner outfielder (who is a circus act defensively) and that's an undisputable fact. 

You really need to bring this hot take of yours down many notches pertaining to the current potential of the 2019 White Sox. If you think this team is ready for a run with this rotation - I would love to get some of what you are smoking. Not to mention the fact that they are also in the bottom half of the league in nearly every major offensive category.

Let's also say that Eloy RIGHT NOW is one of the best hitters in baseball. There's all kinds of fantastic hitters who have spent a LONG time on horrible teams. This isn't like football or basketball where having a LeBron type of superstar or elite QB guarantees you contention. 

No one here is happy with losing. However, compromising a part of the TRUE window of contention which lays ahead of us beginning just next year? Only to do what? Attempt to win a little over 80 games instead of 75ish? It makes no Earthly sense. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Of course...

That's why it's called a "generalization"

The word itself implies that it does not apply to EVERY single individual. Just that "generally speaking" this statement holds true to a particular group/section of people, on the whole. 

He never said "ALL older people" feel a certain way. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I wasn't generalizing, I was poking at those who feel that way in a general sense, without pointing fingers and naming names. The people who I was referring to in my original post know who they are. 

Ok. I was just reading you "a lot of old people" comment and thought you meant a larger population.

This is nothing new by the way. Every generation think the older one is wrong and rebels against it. It's all cyclical.  Right now we are reliving the 60s where the man is putting us down, weed is the way to go and give peace a chance. Your kids will be back to climbing the corporate ladderand proving you wrong

4 minutes ago, Richie said:

Of course...

That's why it's called a "generalization"

The word itself implies that it does not apply to EVERY single individual. Just that "generally speaking" this statement holds true to a particular group/section of people, on the whole. 

He never said "ALL older people" feel a certain way. 

He said that older people feel a certain way in his first post. That certainly implies all of them. I just wanted him to clarify that be was generalizing and didnt mean all of us as he was implyingl

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Ok. I was just reading you "a lot of old people" comment and thought you meant a larger population.

This is nothing new by the way. Every generation think the older one is wrong and rebels against it. It's all cyclical.  Right now we are reliving the 60s where the man is putting us down, weed is the way to go and give peace a chance. Your kids will be back to climbing the corporate ladder and proving you wrong

Personally, I was born in the mid-80s and I feel like I have a hell of a lot more in common with my older cousins that were born in the 70s(Gen Xers) than I do with my younger sister that was born in the 90s. The main difference is that I didn't have the same economic opportunities that my older cousins did because I happened to graduate college into the teeth of the great recession, which has had a profound effect on how I view economics. I have talked to a lot of people born in the 80s and we feel that we're kind of misplaced. We're more tweeners when it comes to the generation gap. We're also the group that got screwed the most by the great recession, so that is another story. 

I remember going through job postings in from 2010-2013 and seeing the words "New college grads need not apply" on almost everything except for jobs you'd get in HS, and on those they'd say HS students need not apply. When the job market finally picked up again, I had to battle the time gap. Forgive some of us for being bitter about it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

19 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is nothing new by the way. Every generation think the older one is wrong and rebels against it. It's all cyclical.  Right now we are reliving the 60s where the man is putting us down, weed is the way to go and give peace a chance. Your kids will be back to climbing the corporate ladderand proving you wrong

Yes, just as every group of old people throughout the history of the planet are (generally speaking) entirely convinced time and time again that "young people are p*ssies" "young people are lazy" and that the world is coming to an end. "Oh, can you believe these kids!". "Millennials! WAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!" Generation after generation... old people REALLY are under the impression that the young people they currently occupy the world with are "so terrible". Oh, but this time... with millennials... they MUST be right. This time is CERTAINLY special! 

Okay... if they say so. lol

Do you know why old people always think that the world or their section of society is coming to an end? Or at least on the brink of some sort of modern dark age? It's because THEIR world IS ABSOLUTELY coming to an end around them. The foundations of society from which they know and understand how to operate within are crumbling all around them. However, the reality of that is far too heavy for most to accept. So, they blame the younger generation who is breaking new ground and reject their new ways of operating. Why? Because it renders them obsolete. The next step after that? Is death. And oh boy... does that ever scare the shit out of human beings. 

Your kids will be back to climbing the corporate ladderand proving you wrong

First off, that is already happening. The millennial generation is undoubtedly subscribing to the principles with which you mentioned. However, post-millennials... kids in college now? There's a very real movement of conservatism happening. Really, kids throughout their 20's are starting to trend this way. 

For what it's worth, I am a 27 year old conservative who would have no problem climbing the corporate ladder and thinks most of this social revolution is utter nonsense.

I also tend to identify much more with middle aged people than I do with those aged 18-35.

Edited by Richie
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Richie said:

Look...

No one is denying Eloy's raw power and ability. It is special and COULD help him develop into a special player. 

However, right now he's a corner outfielder with a -0.5 WAR hitting .239 with a sub .300 OBP and .741 OPS. He's had two big days in a row, for crying out loud. Would ya relax? Overall, he's been a slightly below average corner outfielder (who is a circus act defensively) and that's an undisputable fact. 

You really need to bring this hot take of yours down many notches pertaining to the current potential of the 2019 White Sox. If you think this team is ready for a run with this rotation - I would love to get some of what you are smoking. Not to mention the fact that they are also in the bottom half of the league in nearly every major offensive category.

Let's also say that Eloy RIGHT NOW is one of the best hitters in baseball. There's all kinds of fantastic hitters who have spent a LONG time on horrible teams. This isn't like football or basketball where having a LeBron type of superstar or elite QB guarantees you contention. 

No one here is happy with losing. However, compromising a part of the TRUE window of contention which lays ahead of us beginning just next year? Only to do what? Attempt to win a little over 80 games instead of 75ish? It makes no Earthly sense. 

He's actually had more than 2 big days. He's been really good over the last 12 games or so

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

You might think the cliche is absurd just as I think your previous comments were absurd. This is why the generalizations are wholly inaccurate. Sure there are some that it applies to but it usually doesn't apply to the majority.

Yes, but sadly in the financial world the people whom it does apply to have an inordinate amount of power and wealth regardless of results. 

The definition of success in big business has evolved so much in the past two decades - nearly all of the evolutions and changes have come at the expense of the vast majority of the working class. I will do much more work at my job today than I am likely to do in 10 years when my salary is 250% greater. That structure is broken in my opinion and I'll save the remainder of those thoughts to remain on topic.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

You make a trade like that ... you never lose your job. They don't make hitters like Eloy often. Cubs had rocks in their heads to trade that guy.

And now the Cubs have rocks on their fingers. I don't think they'd undo the trade.

52 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

He's actually had more than 2 big days. He's been really good over the last 12 games or so

Oh, without a doubt and I referenced his 10 day run prior to the previous two days in a prior thread. I was more just speaking to the sudden spike in Eloy hype after the two big games.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Dont make generalities because one person views it that way. While my age is not the same as his, you've never heard utter anything close to that.

However, if you want to generalize should I say that based on your comments young people think they should get paid regardless of results? It's the everyone gets a trophy generation where they expect to be paid regardless if they get results. At least I tried. Does that generalization work for you?

Getting a trophy was encouraging to my son who turned out to be very competent in his chosen field but not an athlete. 

11 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

And now the Cubs have rocks on their fingers. I don't think they'd undo the trade.

Eloy and Cease for Quintana? Who has largely been a league average pitcher and has contributed to zero world series runs? I doubt it. There is zero doubt that Eloy/Cease still have uncertain futures. However, they gave up a Chris Sale type of haul for a guy who hasn't done much to write home about. 

1 minute ago, pcq said:

Getting a trophy was encouraging to my son who turned out to be very competent in his chosen field but not an athlete. 

Do you really think that receiving participation trophies was an integral part of your son growing into a competent and respectable adult? 

21 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Apologies for derailing the thread, lets get back on topic. 

I think it's safe to say that we can be more than optimistic about Eloy. We can even be somewhat optimistic about the team as a whole. Yet both have a long way to go.

About those who like to vent Iike I do: the team's performance during this decade will make anyone a cynic. The rebuild is doing better than I ever thought it would do. Now it's time to finish the job and that means no more trading for prospects.

• Like 1