White Sox ratings: up 40% on TV and streaming up over 100%

chitownsportsfan

Fans appreciate a better product.

the Sox’ ratings on NBC Sports Chicago are up, according to Nielsen Research. Through Tuesday, the team’s season average was a 1.06 househould rating (1.0 in the Chicago market equals about 32,514 households). That’s up 41 percent from the Sox’ 2018 average of 0.75.

The Sox’ game June 8 against the Royals made NBCSCH the highest-rated network in the market for the length of the game (1 to 3:45 p.m.). It’s probably no coincidence that Lucas Giolito was on the mound, and he delivered with a stellar outing in a 2-0 victory.

To provide context, the Cubs’ season average on NBCSCH was a 3.99 rating through Tuesday, which was down 9 percent from a 2018 average of 4.38. But as far as the Sox are concerned, up is up.

Live streaming of Sox games is way up. According to NBCSCH, the average of unique viewers per game on NBCSportsChicago.com and the MyTeams app is up 104 percent from last season. And the network’s ancillary Sox content, such as its “White Sox Talk” podcast, has seen huge increases, as well.

“We work with the Sox on this a lot,” said Kevin Cross, NBCSCH senior vice president and general manager. “We’ve gone out of our way on all of our platforms to educate the fan base as to what’s coming. Now it’s coming.”

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Still amazing the Cubs draw 4x the ratings.

I think if you go back and look at ratings, this number was much closer together before the recent demise of the Sox and escalation of the Cubs. I imagine this will grow closer together, again, as the Sox continue to improve.

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think if you go back and look at ratings, this number was much closer together before the recent demise of the Sox and escalation of the Cubs. I imagine this will grow closer together, again, as the Sox continue to improve.

Hope so.  In 2005 it appeared the Sox could make permanent inroads on the relative sizes of the fanbases but obviously things went another way.  It appears the Cubs' window is closing and the Sox' is opening perhaps the next few years can create some new Sox fans.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Good to show Jerry what could happen with a quality / winning team.

Given his lease agreement and the money pouring in from MLB properties and deals MLB cut with streaming services, I honestly don't think he cares much about attendance / ratings as much as say when he bought the team in January 1981. They are a factor but not as much as they used to be.

7 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Agree on both points. 2008 was peak year in Cubs vs. Sox rivalry. Cubs swept Sox at Wrigley, and next week Sox swept Cubs at Cell, with 3rd game on Sunday night. Was not unusual for Sox to play Sunday night back then.  Was a Cubs town but Sox with their stars were always in the conversation. That Cubs are now years ahead of Sox in attendance and TV ratings and Sox struggling to be relevant again says more about Sox FO failure in last decade than Cubs' success.

Frankly I'm surprised. I wonder if it has a lot to do with cost of actually attending a game? People realize they can't really afford to go to a game or maybe 1-2 a season and instead have become accustomed to watching on big screen HD TV? (I realize you can get tix in the nosebleeds for cheap and can do the secondary market thing for cheap, but baseball fans are old and they aren't the type of folks to be playing the secondary market for tix.

Just a thought. I'm a little surprised more fans are tuning in. The team is a bit better but still overall a noncontender.

3 hours ago, Donaldo said:

I wonder what those numbers will look like next year with that Premium Cubs network?

If they go deep in the playoffs this season probably astronomical. Expected to pull in 30 million more per year than they are getting right now minimum from TV money

I think part of it was Sox fans were just ready to start paying attention again. For me that hit hard, I just wanted baseball so much more again. 2017 was surprisingly fun for me, but 2015 and 16 were brutal. I want a fun team and Anderson/Giolito/Moncada almost by themselves are delivering. Baseball is so awesome when it’s good.

9 hours ago, TBrown54 said:

Agree on both points. 2008 was peak year in Cubs vs. Sox rivalry. Cubs swept Sox at Wrigley, and next week Sox swept Cubs at Cell, with 3rd game on Sunday night. Was not unusual for Sox to play Sunday night back then.  Was a Cubs town but Sox with their stars were always in the conversation. That Cubs are now years ahead of Sox in attendance and TV ratings and Sox struggling to be relevant again says more about Sox FO failure in last decade than Cubs' success.

In a year or two the Sox will be a hot ticket.  

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

Frankly I'm surprised. I wonder if it has a lot to do with cost of actually attending a game? People realize they can't really afford to go to a game or maybe 1-2 a season and instead have become accustomed to watching on big screen HD TV? (I realize you can get tix in the nosebleeds for cheap and can do the secondary market thing for cheap, but baseball fans are old and they aren't the type of folks to be playing the secondary market for tix.

Just a thought. I'm a little surprised more fans are tuning in. The team is a bit better but still overall a noncontender.

Most games (but probably not this weekend) the $8 nosebleed tix get you 100 level access; no Sox ushers/guards are stationed at 100 level entrances to check tickets.         

1 hour ago, TBrown54 said:

Most games (but probably not this weekend) the $8 nosebleed tix get you 100 level access; no Sox ushers/guards are stationed at 100 level entrances to check tickets.         

That is really minor league pricing for distant areas since they usually don't have nosebleed. I attended numerous Tampa Bay games and their 3rd deck used to be $10 behind home plate. But I think it is closer to $20 now. 

Kind of on-topic question for the cord cutters. I just bought a place and decided I want to pay for only internet. Sling had a deal where if you paid for 3 months of Sling (it was slightly discounted at $115 for both Orange and Blue), you would get an antenna (I think $40 on Amazon and I was going to get one anyway) and an Air TV player (have not touched it yet). Figured it was a good deal to at least try for 90 days. Does anyone who uses Sling notice a split second delay in sound? Like when you see the catcher catch the ball, about a split second later you hear the pop of the mit or crack of the bat. It appears to only be the games on NBC sports. When I watched a game on ESPN the other day, I noticed there was no delay. It's not a huge deal most of the time since I'm usually only half paying attention when I have games on (looking at my phone, talking to whoever is over, making food, etc.).

Anyway, I guess another question would be which streaming service do you guys think is best for watching games?

The battle is for the casual fan. What we will pejoratively call bandwagon jumpers when the team is winning. The family that goes to one game a year and will decide that is the year to see a Sox game. Who will tune in to see what the excitement is.

As hardcore Sox fans, we could help the team by making them feel welcome and hopefully convert them. 

54 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

That is really minor league pricing for distant areas since they usually don't have nosebleed. I attended numerous Tampa Bay games and their 3rd deck used to be $10 behind home plate. But I think it is closer to $20 now. 

This year I believe they completely closed their upper level, but they do offer like $5 tix for certain games to get people to come out.

4 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Kind of on-topic question for the cord cutters. I just bought a place and decided I want to pay for only internet. Sling had a deal where if you paid for 3 months of Sling (it was slightly discounted at $115 for both Orange and Blue), you would get an antenna (I think $40 on Amazon and I was going to get one anyway) and an Air TV player (have not touched it yet). Figured it was a good deal to at least try for 90 days. Does anyone who uses Sling notice a split second delay in sound? Like when you see the catcher catch the ball, about a split second later you hear the pop of the mit or crack of the bat. It appears to only be the games on NBC sports. When I watched a game on ESPN the other day, I noticed there was no delay. It's not a huge deal most of the time since I'm usually only half paying attention when I have games on (looking at my phone, talking to whoever is over, making food, etc.).

Anyway, I guess another question would be which streaming service do you guys think is best for watching games?

Hulu live carries the NBC chicago station for the Sox, if you are local. The only local station you don't get is WGN so I have an antenna for that. It's 55 per month.

I mentioned this in today's game thread, but it feels like everyone I know is going to the game tonight. The excitement around a mediocre team is wild and it's obvious that Sox fans were/are desperate for good baseball. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Vue on PS4 is the best I've found but amazingly you can only "authorize" one device at a time on Vue so if you want to watch say at your office and at home you're SOL.  At least that's how it was last year when I was looking into it.  

Sling is OK but once the discount period ends to get the good sports package you might as well sign up for cable again imo.

49 minutes ago, mqr said:

I mentioned this in today's game thread, but it feels like everyone I know is going to the game tonight. The excitement around a mediocre team is wild and it's obvious that Sox fans were/are desperate for good baseball. 

People have been asking me all week if I can get them reasonably priced tickets for Sunday (Fathers Day). I had to buy my wife and MIL tickets to join us on Sunday and for the first time in as long as I can remember I had to pay over $110 per ticket and when I asked my guy about just giving me 2 extra, the only thing he could do is upper deck tickets. It's a good thing, even though itll be a lot of yankee fans too.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

16 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Vue on PS4 is the best I've found but amazingly you can only "authorize" one device at a time on Vue so if you want to watch say at your office and at home you're SOL.  At least that's how it was last year when I was looking into it.  

Sling is OK but once the discount period ends to get the good sports package you might as well sign up for cable again imo.

I use DirectvNow but when they are on WGN you dont get the game. Dtv now has some great deals and discounts and is a better streaming service than the others out there right now imo.

Honestly though - reddit.com/r/mlbstreams if you want to stream and not pay.

16 hours ago, greg775 said:

Can't afford a White Sox game?

Unless it's the Cubs or Yanks... A homeless person could panhandle enough for a couple of tickets down the line in the outfield or in the bleachers. He could dig for change and find enough for the nosebleeds. 

Edited by Richie