Does Ricky deserve manager of the year?

ron883

I didn't start the thread. But if we remain .500 at the all star break, a lot of people assess grades at that point. The grade, folks, for Rick Renteria would be A if we are .500 at the break. I don't even see how you would give him an A-minus if we are .500. Every manager makes tactical errors that anger the smarter fans. In Rick's case, the W/L's are very important considering the roster. A .500 record in this specific case would give him an A.

OK, manager of the year contender may be going a little far. I sense some don't even want to say that at this point he deserves an A for his work this season.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 6:26 PM, bubba phillips said:

So, in a space of 2 weeks, we've gone from two-thirds of the people thinking that Renteria is the worst Sox manager EVER, that's EVER.  Now, some think he should be manager of the year.  In-friggin'-credible!!! 

A very flexible group don't you think?

On 6/14/2019 at 7:28 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

Let's see how close to .500 the Sox are at the end of the season. If they are, he should get some votes but no he is not Manager of the Year barring a miracle.

The final record may be meaningless. If the Sox are sellers at the deadline, their record at that point is a realistic number. If they trade bullpen arms or Abreu then they will probably promote AAA talent much earlier than normal.  

On 6/15/2019 at 7:27 PM, greg775 said:

I didn't start the thread. But if we remain .500 at the all star break, a lot of people assess grades at that point. The grade, folks, for Rick Renteria would be A if we are .500 at the break. I don't even see how you would give him an A-minus if we are .500. Every manager makes tactical errors that anger the smarter fans. In Rick's case, the W/L's are very important considering the roster. A .500 record in this specific case would give him an A.

OK, manager of the year contender may be going a little far. I sense some don't even want to say that at this point he deserves an A for his work this season.

As ever I am interested by your opinions but until the bunting stops I cannot agree to this one. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 2:27 PM, greg775 said:

Like others I'm not a fan of some lineups, bunting situations and constant play of Alonso.  That said...his won/loss record says he is doing OK.  Players seem to respond/like him and our clubhouse is being lauded as very close knit group.  Manager of the year is a stretch but he's OK.  In todays baseball I like that he is Spanish speaking.  Communication is a big part of the job.

2 hours ago, Colinski said:

As ever I am interested by your opinions but until the bunting stops I cannot agree to this one. 

Thanks Colinski. I like all the new blood on the board. The new blood has a few people that tolerate/like Greg very well. I've been pretty much despised much of the time in the past. 

You make a great point about the bunting obviously. I'm not a fan of it. When I see it I freak out like the rest of the board. Not a fan of giving up the out. And a lot of times we can't even get the bunt down. Bunt truly is a 4 letter word, but I'd be OK with keeping Ricky if he keeps this up.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Thanks Colinski. I like all the new blood on the board. The new blood has a few people that tolerate/like Greg very well. I've been pretty much despised much of the time in the past. 

You make a great point about the bunting obviously. I'm not a fan of it. When I see it I freak out like the rest of the board. Not a fan of giving up the out. And a lot of times we can't even get the bunt down. Bunt truly is a 4 letter word, but I'd be OK with keeping Ricky if he keeps this up.

Not sure what you mean by "keeps" this up.

I don't conclude that managers "win" a lot of games, but Ricky does things quite often that in my estimation increase the chance of losing.

This thread is based soley on the win loss record,,, most us know manager assessment isn't simply based on win loss record.

47 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

Not sure what you mean by "keeps" this up.

I don't conclude that managers "win" a lot of games, but Ricky does things quite often that in my estimation increase the chance of losing.

This thread is based soley on the win loss record,,, most us know manager assessment isn't simply based on win loss record.

No sir. My assessment is based on W/L record and reports players like him and he speaks Spanish. For instance, why hire Omar (I'm convinced he'll be the replacement)? Rick is experienced. He did not just learn baseball yesterday. True he loves the bunt but that can be solved if the front office analysts and GM Hahn order him to cut it out. So except for the bunt, he's fine and dandy. Speaks Spanish, players love him, has a .500 mark with a very very blah roster. Again, his grade for this season is A. Not A-minus. But A. I wish fans would at least give him that.

His weakness? The bunt, pure and simple. As far as picking the wrong relievers, etc., do u not think Cooper talks to Ricky all the time and suggests moves all the time? Why do we blame RR for the reliever decisions. Coop is a hands on pitching coach. Coop runs the damn staff. Blame Coop.

I will not cry if Rick R is fired. But I will shake my head when he's fired for Omar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

No sir. My assessment is based on W/L record and reports players like him and he speaks Spanish. For instance, why hire Omar (I'm convinced he'll be the replacement)? Rick is experienced. He did not just learn baseball yesterday. True he loves the bunt but that can be solved if the front office analysts and GM Hahn order him to cut it out. So except for the bunt, he's fine and dandy. Speaks Spanish, players love him, has a .500 mark with a very very blah roster. Again, his grade for this season is A. Not A-minus. But A. I wish fans would at least give him that.

His weakness? The bunt, pure and simple. As far as picking the wrong relievers, etc., do u not think Cooper talks to Ricky all the time and suggests moves all the time? Why do we blame RR for the reliever decisions. Coop is a hands on pitching coach. Coop runs the damn staff. Blame Coop.

I will not cry if Rick R is fired. But I will shake my head when he's fired for Omar.

So your inferring that Cooper has authority over the manager? Not saying that's not possible it is the White Sox remember but if that is the case then Ricky should be ashamed of himself. He's the manager, he has 51% of the vote, it is his ass on the line not Cooper's.

Ricky's fault's are bunting in the wrong situations with the wrong people, bizarre lineup construction and bad bullpen management (especially in season's past). He is not the guy to get you to a championship in my opinion but these are the White Sox, he's part of "the Family" and regardless if the Cubs fire Maddon or Joe Girardi expresses interest in the job he's not going anywhere. Good or bad he isn't.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Juschill said:

Citation needed.

Ste

31 minutes ago, Juschill said:

Citation needed.

Steve Stone was making this point over the weekend.  Words to the effect that you couldn't find a clubhouse where the players like each other this much.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, poppysox said:

Ste

Steve Stone was making this point over the weekend.  Words to the effect that you couldn't find a clubhouse where the players like each other this much.

Hometown announcers always be talking about how "these guys really like each other"  winning record, losing record, a common go to.

They do appear to like each other - however to me that has nothing to do with the manager.