Rick Hahn and his Trades

14 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Hahn said that if they don't make the Tatis deal, they probably stay the course with Sale/Q/Eaton in 2017. He said that the Tatis trade is what directly lead to the rebuild happening in the first place. 

Jack, I never heard this before, and I don't understand it.  Giving up Tatis (or anyone) for a broken down, expensive pitcher who had trouble getting anyone out for San Diego was a precursor to the re-build??  Why couldn't we not make that trade and still do the re-build?  Or, is Hahn saying that because of his huge gaffe, he now had to do the re-build?  This makes Hahn look even more incompetent.  Please let me know your thoughts.

17 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Jack, I never heard this before, and I don't understand it.  Giving up Tatis (or anyone) for a broken down, expensive pitcher who had trouble getting anyone out for San Diego was a precursor to the re-build??  Why couldn't we not make that trade and still do the re-build?  Or, is Hahn saying that because of his huge gaffe, he now had to do the re-build?  This makes Hahn look even more incompetent.  Please let me know your thoughts.

He said that they never considered a rebuild until they realized what they traded for Shields. They asked themselves why they did it. It caused them to re-examine their methods and led to the decision to change course in 2017. In that sense, if they don't trade Tatis they probably never trade Sale/Q/Eaton. It caused them to exit the perpetual win now mode they had been in for 15 years. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

The rebuild is starting to take shape, and there has been nice crowds for the Yankee series. But the team still has a long way to go. At one point, the franchise is going to have spend some real money. Okay, I can live with not getting Machado and Harper, but there has to come a time when a risk has to be taken and money has to be spent. Not all of the young players are going to make it, and young teams don't win championships anyway. This next off-season is important. Sitting on their hands and hiding behind the rebuild isn't going to make it. And fans have to realize they can't depend on Cease and Kopech-yet.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gusguyman said:

As of a few weeks ago, Yolmer Sanchez still had the second highest WAR since 2017 of any position player on the team, behind Jose Abreu. Yolmer is better suited as a utility player than a starter, but that is a useful piece, not something to just toss in the garbage. He is not the problem. Maybe you should get your eyes checked, they seem to be telling you the wrong shit.

Every wining team has some Yolmer / Leury types.  They help get you through DL stints and the long hot days of summer.  

5 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

The rebuild is starting to take shape, and there has been nice crowds for the Yankee series. But the team still has a long way to go. At one point, the franchise is going to have spend some real money. Okay, I can live with not getting Machado and Harper, but there has to come a time when a risk has to be taken and money has to be spent. Not all of the young players are going to make it, and young teams don't win championships anyway. This next off-season is important. Sitting on their hands and hiding behind the rebuild isn't going to make it. And fans have to realize they can't depend on Cease and Kopech-yet.

I don't think that anyone disagrees. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

He said that they never considered a rebuild until they realized what they traded for Shields. They asked themselves why they did it. It caused them to re-examine their methods and led to the decision to change course in 2017. In that sense, if they don't trade Tatis they probably never trade Sale/Q/Eaton. It caused them to exit the perpetual win now mode they had been in for 15 years. 

Hahn is so full of shit. Even if what he says is true it was a trade that in and of itself was remarkably misguided. When the Shields trade was announced hardly anyone here wanted him The board was overwhelmingly against it and that was not really from knowing much about Tatis but because we knew so much about Shields. He was just a bad pitcher who wasn't getting any better and thinking he would help some magical 2nd half run was nonsense. All Hahn is doing is spinning a negative into a positive to make the FO mistake not seem like such a big mistake. Every time he open his mouth I can see his forked tongue,

They should've asked themselves why they thought a bad pitcher who was just blasted by the owner could become a good pitcher and why they wanted him for 3 years when if they truly wanted to win that year they could have targeted a better pitcher for just that particular year.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hahn is so full of shit. Even if what he says is true it was a trade that in and of itself was remarkably misguided. When the Shields trade was announced hardly anyone here wanted him The board was overwhelmingly against it and that was not really from knowing much about Tatis but because we knew so much about Shields. He was just a bad pitcher who wasn't getting any better and thinking he would help some magical 2nd half run was nonsense. All Hahn is doing is spinning a negative into a positive to make the FO mistake not seem like such a big mistake. Every time he open his mouth I can see his forked tongue,

They should've asked themselves why they thought a bad pitcher who was just blasted by the owner could become a good pitcher and why they wanted him for 3 years when if they truly wanted to win that year they could have targeted a better pitcher for just that particular year.

Maybe they thought "Coop will fix 'em!" LOL

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JuliusO1274 said:

I don't really give credit to Hahn for the Sale, Eaton, and Q trades. Any GM can trade players like that and get great prospects back. We are doing okay this season but we could have been much better if Hahn spent money more wisely and kept Avi.

What I hate is that Hahn seems to have punted this season no matter the results. Even if we were 6 games over he would punt this season. There truly is no excuse for not upgrading this team this offseason to compete. I don't want to hear the team isnt ready BS anymore. 

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I agree wholeheartedly with this post, but what Hahn says is all we know. 

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

What I hate is that Hahn seems to have punted this season no matter the results. Even if we were 6 games over he would punt this season. There truly is no excuse for not upgrading this team this offseason to compete. I don't want to hear the team isnt ready BS anymore. 

I agree with that. He's part of the advanced stat crowd that is trying to build a team that is so powerful that it will run away with division titles and be overwhelming favorite to win the WS rather than have teams that can simply win it. However you shouldn't really hate anything about Hahn cause of one word: Eloy. He was not part of the Sox organization and Hahn was able to steal him away from the Cubs.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I agree with that. He's part of the advanced stat crowd that is trying to build a team that is so powerful that it will run away with division titles and be overwhelming favorite to win the WS rather than have teams that can simply win it. However you shouldn't really hate anything about Hahn cause of one word: Eloy. He was not part of the Sox organization and Hahn was able to steal him away from the Cubs.

He also gave away Tatis, so he still loses some grace. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

He also gave away Tatis, so he still loses some grace. 

That is true but Eloy is so special it puts Hahn in a special class of GM. Probably will go down as one of the biggest mistakes Cubs ever made in dealing him.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, NWINFan said:

An astonishing nearly $66M of the existing $92M payroll comes off the books after this season, which includes potentially Abreu, but most certainly includes Nova, Herrera, Alonso, Jay, Colome, Banuelos, and Nate Jones.  

So they will have the money to spend, and we have Hahn’s claim that the “money will be spent”, sooooooooo...I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens!  What could go wrong!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

An astonishing nearly $66M of the existing $92M payroll comes off the books after this season, which includes potentially Abreu, but most certainly includes Nova, Herrera, Alonso, Jay, Colome, Banuelos, and Nate Jones.  

So they will have the money to spend, and we have Hahn’s claim that the “money will be spent”, sooooooooo...I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens!  What could go wrong!

Herrera is on the books for next year, but I don't know if he's actually going to be here. Should he continue to pitch well, they could dump him on waivers or just salary dump him. 

Hahn is good at going after the talent of other organizations. That doesn't take much of a skillset.  

GM's reputations are built on who they draft not who they trade for.

From that perspective, I'm not very impressed with Hahn. The White Sox stars of the near future are going to be comprised of ex Red Sox and Cubs farmhands.

When Hahn starts DRAFTING the likes of Moncanda, Cease, Giolito, Kopech and Jimenez, I'll change my mind.

But I'm not holding my breath.

They get credit for signing Robert but he wasn't an unknown. They won a bidding war.

Ironically he hit on Tatis Jr but promptly traded him away and spent tens of millions of dollars too boot for broken-down Shields.

This guy will never get another opportunity to be a GM.

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

Hahn is good at going after the talent of other organizations. That doesn't take much of a skillset.  

From that perspective, I'm not very impressed with Hahn. The White Sox stars of the near future are going to be comprised of ex Red Sox and Cubs farmhands.

When Hahn starts DRAFTING the likes of Moncanda, Cease, Giolito, Kopech and Jimenez, I'll change my mind.

They get credit for signing Robert but he wasn't an unknown. They won a bidding war.

Ironically he hit on Tatis Jr but promptly traded him away and spent tens of millions of dollars too boot for broken-down Shields.

Great post the 40 man drafts of 2016, 17, and 18 I would give a D for a grade

2 hours ago, GradMc said:

Are u serious? He will be a GM forever after stealing Eloy. Again ... it would be like acquiring Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Dave Winfield when they were 23. When you make a special trade you stick around.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fan O'Faust said:

I have a strange feeling you haven't seen the last of Nate "Mr. Glass" Jones in a White Sox uniform.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GradMc said:

2 of these players were never drafted by anyone. 

On 6/16/2019 at 2:05 PM, greg775 said:

That is true but Eloy is so special it puts Hahn in a special class of GM. Probably will go down as one of the biggest mistakes Cubs ever made in dealing him.

And Tatis isn't special? We got Shields in a trade that may go down as the worst in Sox history.