Rick Hahn and his Trades

It will be fascinating to observe how the reflexive negativity displayed in this thread, and on this board generally, will try to hold up if this core takes shape and the evidence of the rebuild's success becomes undeniable.  I wonder if there will still be a soldier firing "....but Tatis!" bullets out of his cave while the rest of the board discusses pitching matchups for the ALCS.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

It will be fascinating to observe how the reflexive negativity displayed in this thread, and on this board generally, will try to hold up if this core takes shape and the evidence of the rebuild's success becomes undeniable.  I wonder if there will still be a soldier firing "....but Tatis!" bullets out of his cave while the rest of the board discusses pitching matchups for the ALCS.

Of course they will, some people are never happy. The curmudgeons will still be out in full force until the final out of the Sox next WS win. 

3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

There 1,000,000% will be. 

'We could have had 3 rings instead of 2!!'

And God forbid Tim Anderson ever makes an error in a September game that means something. 

On 6/16/2019 at 7:01 PM, whitesoxbrad said:

Great post the 40 man drafts of 2016, 17, and 18 I would give a D for a grade

Someone somewhere recently posted a spread sheet showing all our draft picks for several years.  Does anyone have that link available?

• 1 month later...

Sitting at the game yesterday I couldn't help but remember that Oaklands pitcher Chris Bassitt was once  a member of the White Sox organization. He was traded by Hahn with Marcus Semien for jeff Samardzlia.  Bassitt would sure look good in the White Sox rotation. This trade was another bad  one by Hahn.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Sitting at the game yesterday I couldn't help but remember that Oaklands pitcher Chris Bassitt was once  a member of the White Sox organization. He was traded by Hahn with Marcus Semien for jeff Samardzlia.  Bassitt would sure look good in the White Sox rotation. This trade was another bad  one by Hahn.

And Montas, and Phegley...

59 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

The small sample size lovers would have shot him into the sun four years ago.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 11:00 AM, 35thstreetswarm said:

Let's make it to the ALCS first. Tatis Jr's success is much more guaranteed than an ALCS run at this .point.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Bassitt is 30 years old and has amassed a total of 3.8 fWAR since being traded from the Sox in 2014.  Would I prefer him in the rotation over Detwiler/Covey - yah, for sure.  But he's definitely not worth losing sleep over.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2

On 6/14/2019 at 10:24 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It looks like Hahn has traded his assets for the exact right pieces. Kudos.

Yes his big 3 dispersal trades were good; some very good.  But he had a lot to trade, including an elite pitcher.  All under LT contracts.

His work otherwise has been largely terrible.  

Edited by GreenSox

Hahn’s trades have been good for the most part.  The Samardzija trade was obviously bad but not the end of the world.  However, the Tatis Jr. trade for a broken down starter will never be topped.  Tatis Jr. at 20 years of age is currently a better player than anyone in the Sox organization.  Unless the Sox win a WS with this current youth movement, he will never live that trade down.

Meanwhile, Hahn’s free agent acquisitions overall have been about as bad as anyone could do.  A monkey throwing a dart at a wall of free agent names written on paper could likely do better.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Yes his big 3 dispersal trades were good; some very good.  But he had a lot to trade, including an elite pitcher.  All under LT contracts.

His work otherwise has been largely terrible.  

Yeah, but its almost seems hard to give him credit for the Sale deal. Who wouldn't be demanding Moncada and Kopech-like prospects for a player of that magnitude? Definitely give him kudos on the Eaton return and for being patient on waiting for the Q deal.

On 6/16/2019 at 2:05 PM, greg775 said:

That is true but Eloy is so special it puts Hahn in a special class of GM. Probably will go down as one of the biggest mistakes Cubs ever made in dealing him.

You need to look at players outside of Eloy, Abreu, and the Sox roster.  What Tatis Jr. is doing at age 20 is far more special than anything Eloy has done thus far at age 22.

9 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Hahn’s trades have been good for the most part.  The Samardzija trade was obviously bad but not the end of the world.  However, the Tatis Jr. trade for a broken down starter will never be topped.  Tatis Jr. at 20 years of age is currently a better player than anyone in the Sox organization.  Unless the Sox win a WS with this current youth movement, he will never live that trade down.

Meanwhile, Hahn’s free agent acquisitions overall have been about as bad as anyone could do.  A monkey throwing a dart at a wall of free agent names written on paper could likely do better.

I'd go so far as to say that under Rick Hahn the big league level acquisitions they've made, whether by trade or FA, look awful overall. When he goes after a big leaguer he overpays and trades away guys he shouldn't for guys that underperform. When he goes for a free agent he gets mostly guys that underperform. 

His minor league deals...well they're at least better than the big league work.

8 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Semien, in my mind, is a bigger indictment on player dev. I don't think they'd ever get out of in what the A's have. 

10 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

This is a great point.  Does he develop the same way with the Sox if he wasn’t traded?

If the amount of credit he gives to Ron Washington is to be taken seriously, then doubtful. And I believe a lot of his defensive value is helped by playing next to chapman, not that he hasn't greatly improved.

Edited by mqr