Possible long-term SP trade targets for 2019 TDL?

Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who wouldn’t do that deal?  If he stays great, if he opts out then we get a pick if he leaves. Don’t see the Nats taking so little for him.

Neither do I, it completely depends on whether they want to salary dump him or not. 

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Neither do I, it completely depends on whether they want to salary dump him or not. 

Ar that price I dont think they can expect a haul. Probably more than that though. He's intriguing at this stage. 

With the Mariners seemingly trading any/everyone I wonder if they would trade Marco Gonzales? He’s dirt cheap so they have no real reason to trade him, but he’s 27 and pretty far from an ace. Possibly they’d prefer to gamble on a high upside prospect. Gonzales is a lefty would could comfortably slot into the #4 starter for a few years to come 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bmags said:

I’d be more inclined for bounce back / salary clearing trades like Pomeranz from SFG. I am still a bit weary of sending out significant value unless a major piece becomes available.

As am I . I'd rather just sign a lefty like Bumgarner. Career wise he mirrors Lester in a lot of ways. Hate to say it but Strasburg is a loser and Bumgarner is a winner just as Lester was. It's all so clear.  Jon Lester is a lefty who won a WS with the Red Sox then switched leagues signed as a FA with a Chicago team and won another WS. Bumgarner is a lefty who won a few WS for SF will then switch leagues and sign as a FA with a Chicago team and win another WS. It's karma repeating itself in a Chicago cycle.

Spend the money. No need to trade. Let the assets who were once considered assets become assets. We have developed some guys at the ML level but that doesn't mean they will all follow a similar path. Hang onto the minor leaguers. Give them time to recover and make adjustments

Brent Honeywell Pitcher Right February 27, 2018 [124]
Alex Dickerson Outfielder   March 2018 [73]
Rafael Montero Pitcher Right March 2018 [173]
David Phelps Pitcher Right March 2018 [196]
Joe Mantiply Pitcher   March 9, 2018 [157]
José De León Pitcher Right March 13, 2018 [69]
Jharel Cotton Pitcher Right March 21, 2018 [58]
Dinelson Lamet Pitcher Right April 2018 [144]
J. C. Ramírez Pitcher Right April 2018 [201]
Ben Heller Pitcher Right April 6, 2018 [117]
Travis d'Arnaud Catcher Right April 17, 2018 [65]
Taijuan Walker Pitcher Right April 25, 2018 [257]
Jay Groome Pitcher   May 2018 [109]
Corey Seager Shortstop Right May 4, 2018 [219]
Keynan Middleton Pitcher Right May 22, 2018 [169]
Anthony Banda Pitcher Left June 2018 [19]
Kevin Shackelford Pitcher   June 2018 [220]
Ryan Sherriff Pitcher Left June 5, 2018 [222]
Jordan Montgomery Pitcher Left June 7, 2018 [174]
Sam Carlson Pitcher Right July 2, 2018 [44]
John Lamb Pitcher Left July 10, 2018 [143]
Brent Suter Pitcher Left July 31, 2018 [238]
Daniel Gossett Pitcher Right August 1, 2018 [105]
Johnny Cueto Pitcher Right August 2, 2018  

This is a list of every pitcher who had Tommy John surgery in 2018 up until the time Kopech had his. There are also a few position players in there. I picked the Kopech cut off date because I assume most on them will be back before Kopech is. A few might be back already. I haven't checked. Might find a few candidates on this list since they may come cheaper after surgery.

I haven't gone over the list but Honeywell Jr. would be interesting. Had had TJ and has had a few setbacks and just had another surgery for a fractured elbow during a side session. He was once a top rated prospect and hasn't pitched since 2017. During the elbow surgery they checked on the integrity of his TJ surgery and found everything OK.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2019/06/08/rays-prospect-brent-honeywell-out-for-season-after-fracturing-elbow-throwing-a-pitch/

Jordan Montgomery might be another guy. He is likely to start pitching for the Yankees some time in the 2nd half of the season unless he has a set back. However if you could get him for Colome do you do it ?

Keynan Middleton is another intriguing arm.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Possible reclamation, but it would be a huge risk:  Chris Archer.  Pirates insist everyone throw their sinker, but his is getting killed.  If you don’t give up much of value but eat his salary, I could see getting him to throw 4 seam, lots of sliders, and the change and maybe he bounces back.  Obviously, they’re never getting close to what they gave up to get him.  Yet another cautionary tale, do not trade with Tampa.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Possible reclamation, but it would be a huge risk:  Chris Archer.  Pirates insist everyone throw their sinker, but his is getting killed.  If you don’t give up much of value but eat his salary, I could see getting him to throw 4 seam, lots of sliders, and the change and maybe he bounces back.  Obviously, they’re never getting close to what they gave up to get him.  Yet another cautionary tale, do not trade with Tampa.

Not the worst idea honestly.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Timmy U said:

That is the exact type of guy I'd like to see the Sox go after if he could be had for a Rutherford/Walker/Gonzalez level piece. Other names I'd be interested in are Kyle Freeland, Aaron Sanchez, Dylan Bundy, and Michael Wacha. I think if you're going after someone this deadline the best bet is to try to come up with a struggling pitcher that has a chance to be a competent starter. I'd go after a big fish in free agency this off-season, which would give you two quality options with whoever that is and Giolito and then you'd fill out a rotation with Kopech, Cease, Lopez, Rodon (when he returns) and maybe one of these reclamation projects. Unless you're willing to trade Robert or Madrigal I don't see how you get anything more than back of the rotation fodder right now.

2 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

That is the exact type of guy I'd like to see the Sox go after if he could be had for a Rutherford/Walker/Gonzalez level piece. Other names I'd be interested in are Kyle Freeland, Aaron Sanchez, Dylan Bundy, and Michael Wacha. I think if you're going after someone this deadline the best bet is to try to come up with a struggling pitcher that has a chance to be a competent starter. I'd go after a big fish in free agency this off-season, which would give you two quality options with whoever that is and Giolito and then you'd fill out a rotation with Kopech, Cease, Lopez, Rodon (when he returns) and maybe one of these reclamation projects. Unless you're willing to trade Robert or Madrigal I don't see how you get anything more than back of the rotation fodder right now.

I would be interested in selling Wacha on a bullpen role personally. Seeing him a few times this year, he can’t maintain his repertoire.

Frankly, I have no interest in trading for anyone unless the acquisition cost is very low, or they are long term solutions.  I have very little interest in giving up top 10 prospects for a guy like Stroman who is only going to be around for 14 months.  

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Frankly, I have no interest in trading for anyone unless the acquisition cost is very low, or they are long term solutions.  I have very little interest in giving up top 10 prospects for a guy like Stroman who is only going to be around for 14 months.  

I was actually going to say Stroman, but yeah, it'd have to come with some sort of promise that he would sign an extension

7 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

South Side Sox has an interesting story / suggestion today on this issue: Kenta Maeda of the Dodgers for the rest of this season and beyond.

It makes zero sense for the Dodgers to trade Maeda while they are looking like a World Series contender and he is pitching for chump change.  The Dodgers are paying him a base salary of $3 million a year until 2023.  His bonuses are all based on games started and innings pitched.  If the Dodgers moved him to the bullpen, they could essentially have a stud reliever for $3 million a year.

Even if he isn’t in their postseason rotation, they can stick him in their bullpen and he is lights out for 3 innings.  That was an unrealistic story and likely not worth the time it took to write since it is not going to happen.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

10 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Tht's why I made that list of TJ pitchers above. I was trying to think like Tampa Bay and find some longer term but damaged guys. The best one is the most damaged but also with the most upside and already is a TB Ray, Brent Honeywell, Jr.

12 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I was only considering long term solutions, sorry if I wasn't clear in the OP. 

Edit:  I guess I did say long term in the OP. Will edit thread title accordingly 

Edited by Jack Parkman