Possible long-term SP trade targets for 2019 TDL?

Jack Parkman

Too bad they didn’t pursue Lance Lynn like I pushed for this past offseason, although admittedly I wouldn’t have gone three years for him.

I just don’t see the point of trading for a starter unless someone is willing to just unload a contract and take nothing in return.  Greinke would sort of fit the bill but I’m guess they’d expect something of value for him.  Otherwise, I just don’t know what’s out there that won’t require the standard trade deadline premium.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Too bad they didn’t pursue Lance Lynn like I pushed for this past offseason, although admittedly I wouldn’t have gone three years for him.

I just don’t see the point of trading for a starter unless someone is willing to just unload a contract and take nothing in return.  Greinke would sort of fit the bill but I’m guess they’d expect something of value for him.  Otherwise, I just don’t know what’s out there that won’t require the standard trade deadline premium.

I am so glad we don’t have lance lynn for two more years.

Anyway I think the only pitchers that could be okay are blue jays, there is a real difficult line in matching finding a decent pitcher and affordability. 

Nats are most interesting and they likely are not selling.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am so glad we don’t have lance lynn for two more years.

If I knew he’d put up 2.9 fWAR by June 15th and only make $20M after this season I’d be perfectly fine with it.  Just didn’t know what you’d actually get out of him this past offseason, but he was always intriguing given his quality stuff and steady production when healthy.

I would look to acquire bulk young pitching like the Eaton deal.  We have had a lot of injuries and after Cease, the cupboard is almost completely bare of even back of the rotation possibilities.  I would be willing to package minor league position players to do it.  Sadly, not a lot of guys are having appealing years.

21 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I would look to acquire bulk young pitching like the Eaton deal.  We have had a lot of injuries and after Cease, the cupboard is almost completely bare of even back of the rotation possibilities.  I would be willing to package minor league position players to do it.  Sadly, not a lot of guys are having appealing years.

We have no one we’d be willing to trade that would return “pitching like the Eaton deal”. Sox received the former #1 overall prospect in the game, a top 50 prospect and a recent first rounder that could move quick and probably just outside most top 100s. 

The days of adding young talent like that via a single trade is over for the time being. 

41 minutes ago, Pal said:

Strasburg 

He has 4/100 left and will be 31 next year. he has an opt out after this season. It is arguable if he uses it, because he's having a good season and I think he could get the Sale(5/150)  deal if he opts out. You'd have to be sure he was opting in to trade him, or be willing to tear up his deal and give him an extra year such as 5/125. Should he opt out, he'd be on my offseason wish list. If he's going to opt in, sure, trade for him. If not, wait until this offseason and get him for free. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Wouldn't have to give up anything but money for him.  I'd take Stras on a 1 year.  2021 FA SP class is better imo.

I don't think so. Have you seen the year he's having? If all you'd have to do is take his contract, I'd be on that yesterday. 

You don't get it, you'd have him for the remainder of the 2019 season and that is it if he opts out. If the cost was minimal, I'd do it regardless. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I’ve mentioned this name before but I kinda like Joe Palumbo from the rangers. He’s more of a stable 4/5 type, and it’s unclear how Texas views themselves since they are equally pitching deprived, however, these are the kinda things I’m more inclined to look for. Depth over frontline.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’d be more inclined for bounce back / salary clearing trades like Pomeranz from SFG. I am still a bit weary of sending out significant value unless a major piece becomes available.

Would you trade for Strasburg if all it cost was something like Rutherford/Adolfo+ a lotto ticket from the AZL/DSL? Know that you're risking being on the hook for 4/100 or him opting out at the end of the season? 

Strasburg is a really interesting idea, pending Washington getting back into the race. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Would you trade for Strasburg if all it cost was something like Rutherford/Adolfo+ a lotto ticket from the AZL/DSL? Know that you're risking being on the hook for 4/100 or him opting out at the end of the season? 

Strasburg is a really interesting idea, pending Washington getting back into the race. 

Yeah I’d take that risk probably.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah I’d take that risk probably.

So would I. 

If Strasburg opts in I'd explore a deal for him in the offseason, pending Washington missing the playoffs by a fair margin again. It probably wouldn't cost that much because of his injury history and the $100M on his deal. 

I'd prefer to get him on the 4/100 rather than having to give him an extra year on the FA market and give up  the 2nd round pick, but I think he'd be a good fit for a rotation stabilizer. he's good for 130-180 IP each year, even with the injuries. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

29 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Who wouldn’t do that deal?  If he stays great, if he opts out then we get a pick if he leaves. Don’t see the Nats taking so little for him.