The 2020 Rotation - What’s Your Plan?

Chicago White Sox

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I think it's painfully obvious we need bullpen help next offseason also, so in addition to signing a guy who can be an opening week rotation starter for us, a swing guy/long reliever is a solid need on the FA market also. 

Totally agree. In fact I think you'll need a few decent bullpen arms to go along with starting pitching help. That's a damn tall order for one off-season.

In my book you take six "starters". The five who perform best in spring training get the ball to begin. The 6th person goes to the pen as the long man / spot starter when DH pile up or unless somehow gets hurt or badly stinks.

Giolito

Jake Odorizzi

Strasburg

Kopech

Cease

lopez as a filler and potentially to start season if kopech or cease have a hiccup.

if they can't get Strasburg I go for Keuchel. There is Zero percent chance of getting Cole with the Yankees in play.

also Rodon moves to Bullpen to play out his contract

Edited by EloyJenkins

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Because of how things worked out, we also have a rotation that profiles as so right handed that it would benefit us substantially to think about Bumgarner and Keuchel specifically to give at least one left handed arm. 

Depending on how they perform the rest of the year, Bumgarner might be more expensive, cost a draft pick, and whether he could co-exist with Tim Anderson's bat flips is an open question. 

He would find Anderson bat flips more endearing when done on his behalf.

• Like 1

I’d also like the Sox to use Kopech similar to how Seattle uses Kikuchi in order to limit his innings. They use him as an opener every fifth start, not letting him pitch more than an inning. I’d like to see the Sox do that with Kopech or they could just skip him every fourth or fifth start to start the season 

55 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I’d also like the Sox to use Kopech similar to how Seattle uses Kikuchi in order to limit his innings. They use him as an opener every fifth start, not letting him pitch more than an inning. I’d like to see the Sox do that with Kopech or they could just skip him every fourth or fifth start to start the season 

No thank you. I'd rather just have him start the season late if we are gonna take 25 innings away. 

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Totally agree. In fact I think you'll need a few decent bullpen arms to go along with starting pitching help. That's a damn tall order for one off-season.

In my book you take six "starters". The five who perform best in spring training get the ball to begin. The 6th person goes to the pen as the long man / spot starter when DH pile up or unless somehow gets hurt or badly stinks.

I don't think it is that tall of an order. We can definitely find two solid starters and 2 bullpen arms. We can also put Rodon and Lopez in the pen for all I care. 

I don’t know who I’d target yet (Kuechel hasn’t even thrown a pitch this year) but it would be criminal not to spend the money to add at least one top flight starter to the rotation.  Probably a second depth piece too like Nova (with hopefully better results).  Our window to compete is starting to open next year, the organization better show it is serious.  

40 minutes ago, bighurt574 said:

I don’t know who I’d target yet (Kuechel hasn’t even thrown a pitch this year) but it would be criminal not to spend the money to add at least one top flight starter to the rotation.  Probably a second depth piece too like Nova (with hopefully better results).  Our window to compete is starting to open next year, the organization better show it is serious.  

Stras or Bum need to be signed to stabilize our rotation. Cole, Grienke, or Kuechel also need to be acquired to give us a true contending rotation. 

2 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I'd rather see Kopech start in AAA, pitching 3-4 inning outings to start, slowly making his way up to 5 innings.  Give him some extra rest here and there.  Call him up this time next year, with 45-50 IP in AAA under his belt.  And hopefully let him go another 100-120 in the bigs without much restriction.  The bonus carrot is the Sox get a year of control back.  It makes wayyyyyyy too much sense. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I would trade for Zack Greinke and sign Alex Wood as a free agent. This probably moves Lopez to the bullpen which they won't do but this would be my move. 

1. Greinke

2. Giolito

3. Wood

4. Kopech

5. Cease 

What do you think it would take to get Greinke? He still has two years of control left after this year. 

One thing is clear going into next season, the White Sox will need to be flexible and employ different rotations throughout the year given their young arms and injuries.

If I am them, I sign Alex Wood and Michael Wacha. Leave camp with the following.

April: 1) Giolito 2) Wood 3) Cease 4) Kopech 5) Wacha/Lopez

May-August 1) Giolito 2) Wood 3) Cease 4) Kopech 5) Dunning/Wacha/Lopez

September: 1) Giolito 2) Wood 3) Rodon 4&5) Cease/Kopech/Dunning/Wacha/Lopez

They have to be ready for: 1) Cease/Kopech having innings limits 2) Lopez continuing to suck. 3) Normal injuries 4) Depth for a playoff run down the stretch.

23 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I keep asking: Why all of the love for Wheeler? He throws 100 but he sucks. I'm fine on a buy low but nothing more than that. 

His FIP is a full run + lower than his ERA. He strikes out over 10/9 and walks less then 3/9. You get his HR/FB% and LOB% in line with his career averages he's a solid #3. 

This is my "realistic" 2020 rotation; I don't think the sox are going to pursue Cole at anything more than cursory.

SP - Giolito
SP - Lopez
SP - Gonzales (Trade with Seattle) 
SP - Cease
SP - Kopech

CL - Rodon*
SU - Bummer*
SU - Burr
MR - Herrera
MR - Burdi
LO - Fry*
LR - Fulmer

5 minutes ago, beautox said:

This is my "realistic" 2020 rotation; I don't think the sox are going to pursue Cole at anything more than cursory.

SP - Giolito
SP - Lopez
SP - Gonzales (Trade with Seattle) 
SP - Cease
SP - Kopech

CL - Rodon*
SU - Bummer*
SU - Burr
MR - Herrera
MR - Burdi
LO - Fry*
LR - Fulmer

So your thought is that the Sox are going to have a payroll below $60M?  

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Fill in the blank:

The largest contract the Sox have given to a pitcher was _________ years and ______ dollars to ___________.  This contract worked out ______________.

The Sox have broken several of their previous norms in recent seasons.  I don't doubt that they'd prefer not to go over 4 years on a SP; I would assume most teams are in that school of thought.  I am far from convinced that they're going to refuse to go over 4 years on SP in the next couple seasons, because if they don't they're just going to burn the cheap years from the young core.  

The Sox just offered 2 players over a quarter billion dollars to play for them mere months ago.  When is the last time that happened?  I will answer it for you: NEVER.  

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox have broken several of their previous norms in recent seasons.  I don't doubt that they'd prefer not to go over 4 years on a SP; I would assume most teams are in that school of thought.  I am far from convinced that they're going to refuse to go over 4 years on SP in the next couple seasons, because if they don't they're just going to burn the cheap years from the young core.  

The Sox just offered 2 players over a quarter billion dollars to play for them mere months ago.  When is the last time that happened?  I will answer it for you: NEVER.  

And they may as well have offered them 20 bucks.  Making an offer doesn't get you credit.  Especially when there was a very small chance that the offer would have ever been accepted.  

I don't see any reason to expect that this team will spend on a premium free agent.  Because even though they tell us how "hard they try" they haven't done anything to show they will spend money like a big boy team.  I find it even more difficult to believe that this team will spend big money on a pitcher.  

I have every expectation of 

Giolito/Kopech/Cease/Lopez as the first 4.  With maybe 2 low cost veterans for depth.

Edited by turnin' two
  • Thanks 1