The 2020 Rotation - What’s Your Plan?

Chicago White Sox

3 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Fill in the blank:

The largest contract the Sox have given to a pitcher was _________ years and ______ dollars to ___________.  This contract worked out ______________.

The only thing Jerry Reinsdorf hates spending market value money on more than on position players is pitching.  

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

You didn't blatantly say it, but if you don't think they're going to sign anyone but "low cost veterans", then they're going to be in the bottom tier of payrolls moving forward. 

The Sox need pitching help bad.  Gio, Kopech and Cease isn't going to be enough to actually be a good.  

The first paragraph isnt true. They can sign lower guys and have an average payroll. They won't sign premium talent but they will load up on bad contracts and mid tier guys. They will also have to pay Mocada and Gio big deals in 4 years. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Dude, they were never serious on Harper or Machado. If they were serious they never would have dragged out the contract negotiations with Machado the way they did. JR didn't mess around when gave Albert Belle his big contract back in the day. He knew he wanted Belle and got the deal done early in the offseason. The pussyfooting around with Machado showed an organization that wasn't serious.

The Sox will spend some this offseason but it won't be on a guy like Bumgardner, Cole, or Rendon. They will spread the $80 million or so that they do spend on guys like Grandal, Puig, and Alex Wood. 

I’m with you on this.  Except for maybe Grandal.  If Collins can show any skills behind the plate, I think they will go with a McCann / Collins platoon.  I definitely see Puig as the big offseason signing and a guy like Wood would make sense as well.  But they will be signing second tier guys, not the cream of the crop like Cole, Bumgarner, Rendon, and Ozuna.

Puig and Wood would still be good acquisitions but the Sox just don’t ever sign top tier talent.  They always go for quantity over quality with their money instead of signing a couple top tiers guys.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

21 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The first paragraph isnt true. They can sign lower guys and have an average payroll. They won't sign premium talent but they will load up on bad contracts and mid tier guys. They will also have to pay Mocada and Gio big deals in 4 years. 

Lol “they will load up on bad contracts” but won’t sign premier talent. Classic Sox fan mentality. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow, that would suck if that was our rotation next year.  Who’s filling in for Rodon during the first half of the season?

Yep, I was wondering what magical wizard healed Rodon to be ready for the beginning of the season.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol “they will load up on bad contracts” but won’t sign premier talent. Classic Sox fan mentality. 

You think it’s a crazy thought that the Sox don’t sign Cole, Bumgarner, Rendon, and Ozuna, and end up signing Puig, Wood, and some relievers?  Why?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fan O'Faust said:

The only thing Jerry Reinsdorf hates spending market value money on more than on position players is pitching.  

He is correct in doing this. Giving contracts to a pitcher who you know the entire medical history like Danks or Buerhle is fine. I dont blame him for not giving long term deals to other organizations pitchers. It usually doesnt work out.

37 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

You think it’s a crazy thought that the Sox don’t sign Cole, Bumgarner, Rendon, and Ozuna, and end up signing Puig, Wood, and some relievers?  Why?

Lol, I haven’t once mentioned Bumgarner, Rendon, Cole and Ozuna all being signed. In fact, I’ve clearly stated that Rendon doesn’t make much sense for the Sox as theyre not going to move Moncada again, Ozuna is awful defensively and doesn’t really work with Eloy in LF so I’d pass and I haven’t suggested Bumgarner once all offseason, so you must have me confused with someone else. 

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, I haven’t once mentioned Bumgarner, Rendon, Cole and Ozuna all being signed. In fact, I’ve clearly stated that Rendon doesn’t make much sense for the Sox as theyre not going to move Moncada again, Ozuna is awful defensively and doesn’t really work with Eloy in LF so I’d pass and I haven’t suggested Bumgarner once all offseason, so you must have me confused with someone else. 

What players are you suggesting or even expecting the Sox to sign then?

2 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

You have to look at long term. It’s Covey or Nova

Nova is a free agent after this year and if Hahn is dumb enough to re-sign him after this putrid season he should lose his job.  Also, there is nothing long-term about Rodon.  Even if he comes back in the second half of next season, he is only under control through 2021.  He will be pitching at most another season and a half more in a Sox uniform and that’s if his rehab goes well and he doesn’t get injured again, which I wouldn’t bet a dollar on.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

A 2nd tier guy who could be interesting.  Rick Porcello has had an up and down career. Would not be a #1 but an interesting fact is he has pitched really well against the Twins in his career. Coming off making $20 mil contract w Boston so I doubt they reign him.  Has had a very healthy career and could be a solid 2/3 starter.  Will be 31 next year. 

21 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

As the great Hawk would say, "right idea, wrong cost". 

21 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Stras or Bum need to be signed to stabilize our rotation. Cole, Grienke, or Kuechel also need to be acquired to give us a true contending rotation. 

These two posts in combination don't make much sense. In the first, you essentially say Strasburg and Keuchel are too expensive. In the second, you list five pitchers, two of which are Strasburg and Keuchel, and say that two of them are needed to "give us a true contending rotation". So which is it?

29 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

These two posts in combination don't make much sense. In the first, you essentially say Strasburg and Keuchel are too expensive. In the second, you list five pitchers, two of which are Strasburg and Keuchel, and say that two of them are needed to "give us a true contending rotation". So which is it?

My first post implies the Sox won't spend the money. The second post is what they should do. 

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

And you don't think there is a better chance for them to sign lower tier players instead of the premium talent? I'd love to be wrong but we just don't win these 150 million to 300 million dollar battles. 

I do not see the Sox spending their money by “loading up on bad contracts”, presumably via trade, like you said.

I do think they’ve shown a willingness to do things differently this time, and I suspect that will include being more fiscally responsible via trade, and instead acquiring higher paid players via signing a premier FA or two. They don’t necessarily need to be the the 2 greatest FAs in a decade plus like Machado and/or Harper. 

I understand that history is on your side. But as I’ve said a few times in this thread, Sox have been making a habit of breaking their track records in recent seasons, and I expect that to continue. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I do not see the Sox spending their money by “loading up on bad contracts”, presumably via trade, like you said.

I do think they’ve shown a willingness to do things differently this time, and I suspect that will include being more fiscally responsible via trade, and instead acquiring higher paid players via signing a premier FA or two. They don’t necessarily need to be the the 2 greatest FAs in a decade plus like Machado and/or Harper. 

I understand that history is on your side. But as I’ve said a few times in this thread, Sox have been making a habit of breaking their track records in recent seasons, and I expect that to continue. 

When I say bad contract, I don't mean bad player. We may sign Wheeler to a deal that pays him 60 to 80 million for instance. I'd call that a bad contract compared to what is out there. If we pay Puig 20 million a year I'd call that a bad contract compared to what we could have had last year. Those are guys I think we will go after and have to overpay. The Sox have changed up over the years but not with spending money on big names. We saw this last year when we finally believed as fans that they would get it done. The Sox operate like the Bulls, and they don't get top talent either. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

12 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

When I say bad contract, I don't mean bad player. We may sign Wheeler to a deal that pays him 60 to 80 million for instance. I'd call that a bad contract compared to what is out there. If we pay Puig 20 million a year I'd call that a bad contract compared to what we could have had last year. Those are guys I think we will go after and have to overpay. The Sox have changed up over the years but not with spending money on big names. We saw this last year when we finally believed as fans that they would get it done. The Sox operate like the Bulls, and they don't get top talent either. 

In what world is Puig getting anything close to $20M/year?