Collins getting called up

Whisox05

3 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Let Collins platoon with McCann..... Castillo Ped boy can go

Castillo will be back after his DL stint. That allows McCann to catch most days with Collins DHing against RHP and Castillo either catching or DHing against LHP.

alonso will be the one to go when Wellington is back. 

5 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Umm,that would put McCann on the bench for like 70% of the games.  I like Collins and hope he does well, but he's not going to be the #1 catcher.  I predict he takes both Castillo and Alonso's at bats as back-up catcher/DH.

Ugh. Collins is a top prospect. I totally understand that catchers don’t play 162, but when he’s not catching, he should be the DH as much as possible. If he’s up for the rest of the year, he should play 75 games minimum. If we’re calling him up to be a backup, this FO sucks more than I thought.

• Like 1

Haven’t read what others have posted here, but my ideal preference would be to kick Yonder/Castillo to the curb and have Collins rotate between 1b/dh/backup catcher.

I’m guessing he will probably struggle. I’m not really that high on him, personally. But might as well see what we have with him rather than waste at bats on washed up duds. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Castillo will be back after his DL stint. That allows McCann to catch most days with Collins DHing against RHP and Castillo either catching or DHing against LHP.

alonso will be the one to go when Wellington is back. 

I guess it depends on what the Sox plan on doing with Collins.  If they want him to get a lot of time behind the plate, your plan doesn’t help that.

4 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Ugh. Collins is a top prospect. I totally understand that catchers don’t play 162, but when he’s not catching, he should be the DH as much as possible. If he’s up for the rest of the year, he should play 75 games minimum. If we’re calling him up to be a backup, this FO sucks more than I thought.

I think he’s going to get full time at bats, just not 50% of the reps behind the plate.  

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I guess it depends on what the Sox plan on doing with Collins.  If they want him to get a lot of time behind the plate, your plan doesn’t help that.

He can split DH / catching duties with McCann. Get 2 or so starts at catcher a week. I highly doubt he catches more than that. It forms a pretty solid DH / catcher rotation as the Welington does hit LHP well. 

• Like 1

Just now, Timmy U said:

I think he’s going to get full time at bats, just not 50% of the reps behind the plate.  

That’s totally fine. When I set my 75 games benchmark, implicit is the fact that it won’t be all at catcher (not even mostly). But those reps are important, and has been said, he needs to shadow McCann constantly. C is where he has the most value.

I think this is the plan with regard to catching: 

Collins and McCann in the lineup every day vs RHP With McCann catching Giolito. One at C and one DH. 

McCann and Castillo vs LHP, with Castillo catching the scrubs and McCann DHing. 

They're carrying 3 C, and Alonso will be DFA when they  need a roster spot. 

7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

He’s going to get way less at bats if Castillo isn’t around because he’ll need to be the backup catcher. 

17 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Yup. You don't play a career backup more than one of your top prospects/future of the team. With that being said, I'd absolutely ease him in as far as receiving and learn his pitchers and such. But the bat absolutely is in.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Congrats to Zack, a huge accomplishment on its own.

I do believe that Collins elite batting eye will lead to more power and walks than most would expect from his poor hitting tool. Especially with the trend of an increase in breaking / offspeed pitches. 

Take Castillos job and don’t look back.

I think it's going to take awhile though. Just like Moncada was last year, he is currently too passive. I do think he will learn.

1 hour ago, The Sir said:

Merkin has said on Twitter that Collins is here to stay, and Hahn has said many times that when a prospect is called up, he'll be getting plenty of reps. If anything, I think Castillo has played his last game for the White Sox. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think this is the plan with regard to catching: 

Collins and McCann in the lineup every day vs RHP With McCann catching Giolito. One at C and one DH. 

McCann and Castillo vs LHP, with Castillo catching the scrubs and McCann DHing. 

They're carrying 3 C, and Alonso will be DFA when they  need a roster spot. 

I think you're absolutely right. Alonso will be cut when the time comes. Collins is going to be one of those C/1B/DH hybrid players similar to how the Astros used Evan Gattis, which I'm perfectly fine with. I'm curious to see how he holds up against MLB pitching. He's not the worst thing to bury in the 7th or 8th spot in a lineup, and can't be any worse than Alonso's sorry ass. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him hit a HR in his first game. Seems like the type of guy where that power stroke could be noticeable immediately. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I think you're absolutely right. Alonso will be cut when the time comes. Collins is going to be one of those C/1B/DH hybrid players similar to how the Astros used Evan Gattis, which I'm perfectly fine with. I'm curious to see how he holds up against MLB pitching. He's not the worst thing to bury in the 7th or 8th spot in a lineup, and can't be any worse than Alonso's sorry ass. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him hit a HR in his first game. Seems like the type of guy where that power stroke could be noticeable immediately. 

He better hit a home run in his first game now or I'm going to be disappointed

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Merkin has said on Twitter that Collins is here to stay, and Hahn has said many times that when a prospect is called up, he'll be getting plenty of reps. If anything, I think Castillo has played his last game for the White Sox. 

I think Castillo goes on the DL and when he is ready to return, Alonso gets released.

8 hours ago, ptatc said:

I think it's going to take awhile though. Just like Moncada was last year, he is currently too passive. I do think he will learn.

Well have to see when he’s up.

my impression is they will be different circumstances.

Moncada needed to make contact more because his exit velos and speed led to a higher sustainable BABIP.

Collins has less of that, I think he does need to maximize what he gets out of plate discipline, and focusing on getting s pitch he can drive even in the zone while getting walks.

It won't be long until we see Robert, Cease and maybe Madrigal in the same way.  I think RH will want to get the rookie jitters out of the way so 2020 is the start of competing for the playoffs.  There is something to be said for this group growing up together.  Probably just after July 31st would be my guess.

• Haha 1

People are going to be really disappointed when they realize that Collins is Yonder Alonso bad at the plate. Guy has never hit for much of anything in the minors and even Keith Law has said that he kind of has a fake OBP down there. Don’t expect much from him. He kind of sucks