Collins getting called up

Whisox05

5 minutes ago, Whitesoxa6 said:

People are going to be really disappointed when they realize that Collins is Yonder Alonso bad at the plate. Guy has never hit for much of anything in the minors and even Keith Law has said that he kind of has a fake OBP down there. Don’t expect much from him. He kind of sucks 

I do think he will struggle with strikeouts and his AVG as he did in the minors but what is fake OBP?

13 minutes ago, Whitesoxa6 said:

People are going to be really disappointed when they realize that Collins is Yonder Alonso bad at the plate. Guy has never hit for much of anything in the minors and even Keith Law has said that he kind of has a fake OBP down there. Don’t expect much from him. He kind of sucks 

I hope him the best but I am afraid you are correct, and Collins is the guy Hostetler said he would have drafted him 1-1 in the draft that year, hence 1 of this organizations  major problem in this rebuild, poor drafting.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I think Castillo goes on the DL and when he is ready to return, Alonso gets released.

Could be. Either way, I don’t see a scenario where Collins is glued to the bench. Barring injury or a major struggle, he probably doesn’t play in AAA again this year.

5 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

I hope him the best but I am afraid you are correct, and Collins is the guy Hostetler said he would have drafted him 1-1 in the draft that year, hence 1 of this organizations  major problem in this rebuild, poor drafting.

You're bad at poker, aren't you?

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

He may only hit .230 or so, but his OBP should be around .360+. That would put him 2nd behind McCann on this team.

Based on his AAA numbers, if his average is .230 his OBP will be around .340 ( still high on this team).  I do hope he has worked at 1B enough where he can get some games there as well as DH and C. 

I hope he can hit .230. The White Sox prospects usually don't do too well when they are called up, but they really haven't called up a guy like this. Even Moncada, with as selective as he was, didn't draw walks like Collins. It will be interesting to see how he does. I'm sure a lot of strikeouts, but take the good with the bad. Get on base and hit some homers. I am thinking more like an old Adam Dunn. An average hovering around .200 with a k rate at about 220 a season, and an on base about .320-.330 and some homers.

Edited by Dick Allen

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I hope he can hit .230. The White Sox prospects usually don't do too well when they are called up, but they really haven't called up a guy like this. Even Moncada, with as selective as he was, didn't draw walks like Collins. It will be interesting to see how he does. I'm sure a lot of strikeouts, but take the good with the bad. Get on base and hit some homers.

Yea for sure.  It’s a unique skill set with a lot of possible outcomes.  Color me curious as well.  Maybe he’s one of those guys that will take off with more balls around the zone

50 minutes ago, Quin said:

You're bad at poker, aren't you?

He may not be lying. Moniak and Senzel were the only two guys I would pick over Collins at one that year, and maybe the Sox preferred a power Catcher over them. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

23 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't care about strikeouts or high average with him. Just give me an OBP of .340 to .350 with power and I'm good with him. I just don't want to see our typical stiff of a LH power bat hitting .180 with meh power numbers. 

I'll admit I was excited but then @Dick Allen mentioned Dunn.

yuck. 

• Like 1

I really like Collins and I have said this before, but I think if baseball goes to an electronic strike zone, it will make him so much better. As a hitter he will be able to control the strike zone better, and it would make him a good catcher defensively. According to Keith Law, he calls a good game and controls the baserunning well with his arm. His main problem it sounds like is receiving and framing.

2 hours ago, Whitesoxa6 said:

Well that is why you bring him up and give him a couple of hundred at bats this year to get his feet wet. If he looks completely overmatched at the plate then the Sox may have to pivot and divert some $ towards a catcher in the offseason. Let's hope Mr. Collins holds his own and can become a fixture on the roster for years to come. 

11 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Merkin has said on Twitter that Collins is here to stay, and Hahn has said many times that when a prospect is called up, he'll be getting plenty of reps. If anything, I think Castillo has played his last game for the White Sox. 

I don't know how many times this bears repeating, but the Sox didn't call up Collins to be McCann's backup.  They are both going to be in the lineup most days.  The only way that is possible on more than an occasional basis is there is a third catcher on the team.  Castillo isn't going anywhere, frankly, nor should he.  He serves a purpose as a platoon catcher / DH with McCann and Collins.

If Castillo gets DFA'd or traded for a pack of gum, Collins is now your backup and you can't DH him everyday against RHP. 

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I am thinking more like an old Adam Dunn. An average hovering around .200 with a k rate at about 220 a season, and an on base about .320-.330 and some homers.

Completely agree but at the catcher position, I'll take that. I think in his prime he'll put up a higher average and such across the board.

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

It won't be long until we see Robert, Cease and maybe Madrigal in the same way.  I think RH will want to get the rookie jitters out of the way so 2020 is the start of competing for the playoffs.  There is something to be said for this group growing up together.  Probably just after July 31st would be my guess.

Dude, Robert and Magridal are not appearing this season, nor should they.  You can stop wishing.  

I do think folks are underrating the possibility that Collins is indeed being called up to be McCann's backup for a short time. Seby Zavala looked so bad last time that it's quite plausible the Sox felt their hands were tied and had no choice but to call up Collins.

4 minutes ago, Jake said:

I do think folks are underrating the possibility that Collins is indeed being called up to be McCann's backup for a short time. Seby Zavala looked so bad last time that it's quite plausible the Sox felt their hands were tied and had no choice but to call up Collins.

Merkin straight up said he's here to stay.  I don't think he makes that definitive of a comment of the org didn't tell him that was the plan.  

• Thanks 1