Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
aeichhor

Collins getting called up

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

That’s fine but doesn’t it make you lose some faith in your GM when it comes to free agency when he decided to give these bums any sort of money?

no, because they were just cheap agers to fill out the MLB roster until the real prospects and players are ready. these players weren't acquired to be long term.

this year was all about Anderson, mo.cada, giolito, Lopez bummer and players for the future to show progress. Most have.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Yes and no. Some hits but a lot of misses especially this year with the FA market and of course the Alonso trade.

Considering we have several players outproducing both Machado and Harper for about 1/300th of the price, I agree, Hahn killed it in FA too. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Not really.

Eloy's still only 22 and playing his first 46 games in MLB, all while getting hurt. In 24 games since coming back from the IL he has a 264/319/585 line. Since coming back from injury that's a .905 OPS, with a .322 ISO. wRC+ at 137. He averages a HR once every 15.45 ABs this season. Over 600 ABs that would come out to around 39 HRs. Again from a 22 year old rookie. If he stays healthy he's got a pretty decent chance to get to 30 HRs as a rookie, which has only been done 28 times in MLB history (since 1871). Since 2000 a rookie has hit at least 30 HRs 7 times. Those players are Trout, Judge, Pujols, Abreu, Braun, Bellinger, and Chris Young. Pretty good company. If he gets to 500 ABs this season, he would be on pace to hit 32.5 HRs.  

As for Collins, even if he K's a ton he is going to get on base. In every MILB stop where he had over 100 PAs, he has never had an OB% below .365. In AA and AAA it's been .422 and .382 over the last 182 games. Castillo with the Sox had a .304 OB% last year and currently has a .289 OB%. Zavala in AAA has had a .267 and .282 OB% that last 2 seasons. 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

What does it say though where the only guys the Sox seem to be able to get are "dumpster dives" three years into a rebuild.Not trying to be sarcastic but if that is what they had to resort to, what does that say about the minor league system? 

it says that the best prospects for. the rebuild aren't quite ready.  the end of this year into next year is when the prospects from the last few drafts should be ready.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ptatc said:

no, because they were just cheap agers to fill out the MLB roster until the real prospects and players are ready. these players weren't acquired to be long term.

this year was all about Anderson, mo.cada, giolito, Lopez bummer and players for the future to show progress. Most have.

I guess I just don’t see the free agency strategy changing at all.  They have shown that they aren’t going to spend on top free agents.  So we will be seeing more signings like this going forward.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Considering we have several players outproducing both Machado and Harper for about 1/300th of the price, I agree, Hahn killed it in FA too. 

Like I said, Hahn makes good trades but he has proven himself to be clueless in free agency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I guess I just don’t see the free agency strategy changing at all.  They have shown that they aren’t going to spend on top free agents.  So we will be seeing more signings like this going forward.

that could be true.  however I don't think the group you stated has any bearing on that.

the machado/harper fiasco is a different story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Yoan is also way better looking than both Harper and Machado, so the ladies are probably liking the rebuild too. 

My eyes cry constantly at the lack of exposure to Kopech's beauty.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I don’t know what’s so funny.  Add it to the other money he wasted this past offseason.

Herrera ($18M)

Alonso ($9M)

Jay ($4M)

 I don't disagree with you. I still believe the jury is out on Herrera though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

My eyes cry constantly at the lack of exposure to Kopech's beauty.

Kopech's a meathead though. Major turn off. 

Have you ever looked into Yoan's eyes? The man is fuckin beautiful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

What about Alonso? He’s totally redundant with Collins here. 

Agreed.  Perfect time to cut Hahn’s $9 million dollar mistake.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to Collins getting a shot.

It is interesting that Machado is having a somewhat disappointing season thus far, even adjusting for park factor. Might be we dodged a bullet on that one. My biggest problem with that entire fiasco was the approach, which ultimately made the Sox just look cheap and half-assed. I would have preferred they either ponied up $300M right away or said “nah we’re good”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Have you ever looked into Yoan's eyes? The man is fuckin beautiful. 

I’m happy for you getting turned on and all, but I really just want fewer strikeouts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Sir said:

I’m happy for you getting turned on and all, but I really just want fewer strikeouts.

Then rest assured. Yoan has 14 fewer k's than Harper this year... and he's way better looking. 

 

He has 15 more k's than Machado, but in about 25 fewer PA's. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Considering we have several players outproducing both Machado and Harper for about 1/300th of the price, I agree, Hahn killed it in FA too. 

This is false.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Then rest assured. Yoan has 14 fewer k's than Harper this year... and he's way better looking. 

He has 15 more k's than Machado, but in about 25 fewer PA's. 

Eh, Bryce Harper is the most overrated player in baseball. I don’t care how Moncada compares to him.

Everyone acts like I think Moncada sucks, but I don’t. There’s just a clear flaw in his game and working on that flaw will make him significantly better. He’s gotten a small boost from his BABIP this year (not surprising, because of the quality of his contact), but his OPS has increased dramatic because he’s reduced his K-rate by 18%. However, it’s still high at 27.7%. If he could get that down to 20%, he’d be entering superstar mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I don’t know what’s so funny.  Add it to the other money he wasted this past offseason.

Herrera ($18M)

Alonso ($9M)

Jay ($4M)

Can you please post their salaries again because there may be a poster or two who joined the site in the past 24 hours who hasn’t seen you reach the double digits yet in terms of mentioning this.

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Can you please post their salaries again because there may be a poster or two who joined the site in the past 24 hours who hasn’t seen you reach the double digits yet in terms of mentioning this.

Will do.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to Zack, a huge accomplishment on its own.

I do believe that Collins elite batting eye will lead to more power and walks than most would expect from his poor hitting tool. Especially with the trend of an increase in breaking / offspeed pitches. 

Take Castillos job and don’t look back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Congrats to Zack, a huge accomplishment on its own.

I do believe that Collins elite batting eye will lead to more power and walks than most would expect from his poor hitting tool. Especially with the trend of an increase in breaking / offspeed pitches. 

Take Castillos job and don’t look back.

Here here.  I wouldn’t mind seeing the tandem of McCann and Collins take over now and in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Because people still have hope the Sox will actually go after some big names in free agency.  I won’t fall for that again.  It’s not happening.  They will continue to dumpster dive.

So your expert opinion is that the Sox will operate with a payroll under $80M moving forward? 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Because people still have hope the Sox will actually go after some big names in free agency.  I won’t fall for that again.  It’s not happening.  They will continue to dumpster dive.

Now you’re just being ridiculous.  This offseason’s goal was whale or bust.  Two of the moves you can’t stop citing where highly (or in Yonder’s case entirely) based on improving their chances of landing Machado.  Rip them for the strategy all you like, but those moves have no bearing whatsoever on our go forward strategy for free agency.  

Adding Herrera wasn’t dumpster diving as he’s a highly paid, highly qualified setup man (whether the move works or not).  McCann was a dumpster dive that has actually worked out.  Nova was a bizarre acquisition (no idea how they thought his stuff would play up in the AL) but he wasn’t exactly a dumpster dive given his $9M salary.  Santana was the one true dumpster dive that didn’t work out and I’m all for ripping it in hindsight, although even there Hahn had a get out of jail free card.

I’m still not sure how you don’t get they simply didn’t want to commit long-term dollars for 30+ year old free agents a year before they felt they were ready to compete.  I actually wish they were more aggressive, but alas they decided to be conservative given their assessment of where the team was at.  That by no means suggest they will go cheap moving forward and rock sub $100M payrolls as you are suggesting.  You are making giant, irrational leaps based on the anger you have over this past offseason.  They likely won’t get Cole or Rendon, but “the money will be spent” on quality players this offseason and likely many of them.  And when that happens, I hope you apologize to the rest of the board for bringing down its overall quality with your repetitive, nonstop whining.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

Eloy's still only 22 and playing his first 46 games in MLB, all while getting hurt. In 24 games since coming back from the IL he has a 264/319/585 line. Since coming back from injury that's a .905 OPS, with a .322 ISO. wRC+ at 137. He averages a HR once every 15.45 ABs this season. Over 600 ABs that would come out to around 39 HRs. Again from a 22 year old rookie. If he stays healthy he's got a pretty decent chance to get to 30 HRs as a rookie, which has only been done 28 times in MLB history (since 1871). Since 2000 a rookie has hit at least 30 HRs 7 times. Those players are Trout, Judge, Pujols, Abreu, Braun, Bellinger, and Chris Young. Pretty good company. If he gets to 500 ABs this season, he would be on pace to hit 32.5 HRs.  

As for Collins, even if he K's a ton he is going to get on base. In every MILB stop where he had over 100 PAs, he has never had an OB% below .365. In AA and AAA it's been .422 and .382 over the last 182 games. Castillo with the Sox had a .304 OB% last year and currently has a .289 OB%. Zavala in AAA has had a .267 and .282 OB% that last 2 seasons. 

 

Amazing how some here diminish the accomplishments of a rookie on pace for 30 homeruns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×