Trade for Clint Frazier?

KnightsOnMintSt

17 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Does Frazier even have much trade value at this point? He’s a DH that has been a pretty good but not great hitter thus far in MLB. He has a net 0 WAR across parts of three seasons. I just don’t see the big appeal outside of the fact that he was once thought of as a top prospect but with his defense he’s limited to AL teams only.

Yes, I think teams will value hitting an .850 OPS as a 24 year old and forgive his .715 ops as a 22 year old.

He will get a good bit of value back.

17 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Hahn would have been laughed out of the room by Cashman if he proposed this trade a year ago. I think Giolito could turn back into a pumpkin at any minute. Frazier solves your RF problem for the next 5 plus years and Adams is having a good year at AAA and is ready to join the rotation now. 

There are legitimate reasons that Giolito has improved. He changed his mechanics, his training regimen, his pitch usage, etc. The results have been a huge improvement. It's not just a mirage, he found a working formula.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Yes, I think teams will value hitting an .850 OPS as a 24 year old and forgive his .715 ops as a 22 year old.

He will get a good bit of value back.

Even with his OPS this year he’s been worth a modest 0.4 fWAR due to his horrific defense. As has been discussed ad nauseam over the past few years, it seems the league doesn’t place high value on DH types unless they are absolutely raking like JDM.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Even with his OPS this year he’s been worth a modest 0.4 fWAR due to his horrific defense. As has been discussed ad nauseam over the past few years, it seems the league doesn’t place high value on DH types unless they are absolutely raking like JDM.

His speed is fine. If, through shifting or improvement, he gets closer to below average as a defender, he is a cost-controlled offensive outfielder with room to improve.

But the market will show his worth soon enough.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

His speed is fine. If, through shifting or improvement, he gets closer to below average as a defender, he is a cost-controlled offensive outfielder with room to improve.

But the market will show his worth soon enough.

We’ll see. Between the poor defense, below average baserunning, high BABIP, and relatively high strikeout rate, I think he’s overrated personally. He’s also arb eligible starting in 2021 and free agent after 2023 season (same as Moncada).

22 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Sell high on Gio and flip him for Frazier and a guy like Chance Adams? 

At risk of anarchy, I like the idea of selling high on Giolito, but not for this return. I'd probe Houston about Yordan Alvarez, Forrest Whitely and Seth Beer . 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bmags said:

A system with a dearth of pitching and just drafted Andrew Vaughn trades a young, good starter for two DHs and a pitcher coming off TJS with an ERA of 12.

Cool cool cool coool.

This thread is full of great ideas!!!! 

32 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Frazier apparently did not report to SWB yesterday. He has until tonight to do so but he’s clearly taking his sweet ass time getting there. Also read he unfollowed a lot of Yankees IG accounts.  Pretty apparent he’s trying to send a message to the Yankees.

Maybe the Yankees will repay the favor to the Sox from several years ago, when they were able to buy low on Nick Swisher simply because the Sox wanted to rid themselves quickly of a player they perceived as having a bad attitude.  

3 hours ago, Fan O'Faust said:

Maybe the Yankees will repay the favor to the Sox from several years ago, when they were able to buy low on Nick Swisher simply because the Sox wanted to rid themselves quickly of a player they perceived as having a bad attitude.  

I don't think the Sox have anything the Yankees would want. I'd be shocked if they move him for anything other than a MLB caliber starter.