Hawk on Wrigley

Moan4Yoan

I was last at Wrigley for the Winter Classic between the Hawks and Detroit in 2009....my first visit there since '89.  I had forgotten how cramped the seats and concourse areas are in that ballpark.  Hard to get around in that place especially when there's a big crowd. 

Wrigley has been over-hyped for years. It has that stupid basket, and it is just plain old. I have no desire to go there.

Fenway's "Green Monster" is absurd. Routine flyballs get turned into hits. Line drive hitters are robbed of home runs because of that 37 foot piece of idiocy. Bill Melton used to say he hated playing in Fenway because the monster ruined his swing.

Some on the newer stadiums are too big and fans sit far away from the field.  So many call Wrigley a "shrine." It reality, it is a building that is over 100 years old and needs to go. The Cubs and their sick traditions need to go, too.

I hate the cubs so... 

Like Kaminsky said, and like Hawk said.

Fuck Wrigley,  and also cubs fan seem to forget their team was a joke for about 60 years.  

I guess if you were around the decade the beaches of Normandy wore stormed - they were competitive.

Edited by harkness99

The funny thing about Wrigley is that it was really a dump in it's time.  Cubs fans along with the local and national media, act like it's so great and historic because it's old, but in reality it was built on the cheap with no upper level for the Federal League Whales.

It never held a candle to Old Comiskey, Tiger Stadium, Old Yankee Stadium (pre-70's reno), Shibe Park, etc.   

When I was a kid, after the game you could go under the grandstand and watch all the players go by on the way to the shower room.  They didn't even have an entrance from the dugout.  Of course, the walkway was screened, because all the stupid Cub fans would shout obscenities and throw things at them.  Disgusting.  It was like a Perp Walk.  Cub fans were obnoxious then, too.  After they showered, they would go to their parking lot and get their car.  Themselves.  There was little or no security.  Fans would wait for them and let them have it.

Cubbie fans sitting in the row behind me last night were really upset about that "old senile Hawk guy" dissing their beloved stadium...it brought a great grin to my face...and by the way, Wrigley is still a dump.  I haven't been there in years and it is just as unpleasant as ever.

58 minutes ago, soxfan18 said:

The funny thing about Wrigley is that it was really a dump in it's time.  Cubs fans along with the local and national media, act like it's so great and historic because it's old, but in reality it was built on the cheap with no upper level for the Federal League Whales.

It never held a candle to Old Comiskey, Tiger Stadium, Old Yankee Stadium (pre-70's reno), Shibe Park, etc.   

I came to post exactly this. It was a dump when it was new and it still is. Of all the notable ballparks of that era, it was the worst one. 

41 minutes ago, oldsox said:

When I was a kid, after the game you could go under the grandstand and watch all the players go by on the way to the shower room.  They didn't even have an entrance from the dugout.  Of course, the walkway was screened, because all the stupid Cub fans would shout obscenities and throw things at them.  Disgusting.  It was like a Perp Walk.  Cub fans were obnoxious then, too.  After they showered, they would go to their parking lot and get their car.  Themselves.  There was little or no security.  Fans would wait for them and let them have it.

nice anecdote thanks for sharing.  For someone myself or younger (34) it's hard to remember that for much of our child hood and prior the cubs were a joke franchise not some lovable loser brand.