GT Chicago v Chicago, 6/18/19, 7:05 CT

soxfan49

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I pretty much expect at least a 7-8 spot against a good team in non-Giolito starts. 

Of all of the pitchers in the Sox rotation currently, Giolito is the only one with an ERA south of 6.25

Lopez-6.31

Nova-6.28

Banuelos-6.90

Despaigne-8.71

How can you not expect a 7-8 spot at the very least when these guys are pitching? 

Well, the Sox have given up 4, 6, 5, 1, 4, 10, 2, and 1 runs in their last 8 games Nova has started, so you'd have been wrong in 7 of those.  Let's hope tonight makes 8!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

They've handled this poorly to say the least.  

Why? It's one of the muscles attached to the scapula, probably rhomboid or mid trap. It only hurts when he really uses that shoulder more.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Why? It's one of the muscles attached to the scapula, probably rhomboid or mid trap. It only hurts when he really uses that shoulder more.

As soon as he wasn't ready to go after the two days off they should have just retro'd him to the 10 day and brought up another body.  Especially given the lefty starters that were coming up.

I feel like the young latin guys might have a bit of an issue properly reporting their pain levels as well.  Yoan seems to try and play through a lot which I respect but it's OK to say you need a couple weeks to get right.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

As soon as he wasn't ready to go after the two days off they should have just retro'd him to the 10 day and brought up another body.  Especially given the lefty starters that were coming up.

I feel like the young latin guys might have a bit of an issue properly reporting their pain levels as well.  Yoan seems to try and play through a lot which I respect but it's OK to say you need a couple weeks to get right.

I can see that especially with the LH starters coming up but i wonder how far in advance they knew that.

It doesn’t take a genius to know that the Cubs regular rotation goes a certain way, but I think we have proven that Ricky is dumb as rocks and lacks vision beyond his constructing his myopic lineups to dazzle has-been kissasses as to how “old-school” he is. Moncada should probably sit out until he feels fine for a week. Maybe until after the break. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The Cubs pitching probables were announced Friday, so they knew they were facing lefties on Friday. Don't say Sunday that he'll be ready to go against the Cubs then.

28 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I remember when Yoan first came up he was very vocal and adamant about his goal of wanting to play "all 162". I think Ricky even made a comment last year about giving Yoan a day off and he put up a slight protest. Then, earlier this season when we had a run where the team played every day for a couple of weeks he was asked about it. Quickly dismissing it as "I'm young, playing a bit sore is nothing". 

He really seems to pride himself on that. So, I think you may be onto something. I don't know if it's something that is common across the latin baseball community, though. 

26 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

Is it against the law for a switch hitter to bat left-handed vs. a LHP? 😏

24 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea that's a good point why not just give up switch hitting for a couple weeks?

Presumably, Yoan Moncada has never in his baseball life seen a slider or a breaking ball as a left handed hitter from a LHP. Actually, he's never seen a ball come out of a LHP's hand from the left handed batters box. Certainly not at any level resembling professional. 

Seeing a slider come out of a LHP's hand from behind you, having that ball break at your back or hip before it slides violently into the zone? Never having seen that before and NOW you're going to see that mid-season in the Major Leagues? With ZERO time to prepare or practice for that? Yeah, good luck. lol. I'd literally rather bat a pitcher. 

Asking him to suddenly do that, is not far short of asking Jose Abreu to suddenly hit from the left side against RHP. 

A better comparison might be asking a right-handed boxer to fight left-handed the day of a prize fight. Maybe implementing a complex new offense for a QB to run in a football game as you're sitting in the locker room, waiting to take the field. 

This is something which would require the ENTIRETY of an off-season to even attempt. 

Edited by Richie
  • Thanks 1