Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Eloy Jiménez

GRate to get Netting to the Foul Poles

Recommended Posts

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2019/6/18/18683945/white-sox-to-extend-protective-netting-at-guaranteed-rate-field-mlb-cubs-albert-almora-jr

Quote

The White Sox and Illinois Sports Facilities Authority are planning to extend the protective netting at Guaranteed Rate Field down the lines to the foul poles, according to a source.

Exact details will be announced later, but the changes will be made as soon as possible this season.

All 30 major-league teams extended netting to the ends of their dugouts before the 2018 season, but going beyond was left up to each individual team. No ballpark currently extends the netting all the way to the foul poles in the outfield corners.

Calls for more netting increased after a 4-year-old girl was struck by a foul ball off the bat of Cubs outfielder Albert Almora Jr. at Minute Maid Park in Houston on May 29. A woman was bloodied and taken to a hospital after being hit by a foul ball off the bat of Eloy Jimenez at Guaranteed Rate Field on June 10. At both parks, netting extends to the ends of the dugouts. In both cases, extended netting would have protected those particular fans.

‘‘MLB has taken a few steps in the right direction extending the netting, but, honestly, it can go all the way down to the pole and it wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all,’’ Sox pitcher Evan Marshall said at the time. ‘‘There’s not a player in here that wouldn’t be in favor of that.’’

Players have called for more netting for years.

‘‘I’m a big believer in nets all around,’’ Sox first baseman Yonder Alonso said. ‘‘No. 1 is the safety of not only the players but of the fans and everybody in the baseball stadium. That’s the reason why we have nets [behind] the dugout. Two feet behind us are the fans, and they don’t have a net. That two feet is nothing when a ball is coming 110 miles per hour.’’

Absolute no-brainer.

Now for the crying tough guys.

Edited by Eloy Jiménez
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, this makes sense.  Too many people have been drilled by foul balls recently.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Now for the crying tough guys.

Can’t wait until they forget about it 15 seconds after sitting behind it, just like last time. 

Its not even worth the argument

Edited by mqr
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only question is what will happen to pregame autographs for those that sign them. 

Cool to be the first one with these to the pole, though

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mqr said:

Can’t wait until they forget about it 15 seconds after sitting behind it, just like last time. 

Its not even worth the argument

The best argument is the "People need to pay attention" argument.  

People buy concession.  The beer guy sells in the "pay attention" seats.  They can stop selling in those areas or they can extend the nets so everyone is safer and no one notices.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

My only question is what will happen to pregame autographs for those that sign them. 

Cool to be the first one with these to the pole, though

Miami has them extended way out into the outfield and they have doors in the nets I believe.

I suppose it's not guaranteed that they'll have that, but I would imagine they do. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am happy they added it, but there are a few posters here who go to a lot of games and really hate the netting, and aren't making arguments like "you should pay attention". 

I do think they should try and experiment with lowering it during between innings and allowing some interaction between players/employees on field and young fans.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always hated nets, but with the golf balls they use now coupled with the lack of attention in the stands whether its texting or taking selfies or whatever, it must be done.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am happy they added it, but there are a few posters here who go to a lot of games and really hate the netting, and aren't making arguments like "you should pay attention". 

I do think they should try and experiment with lowering it during between innings and allowing some interaction between players/employees on field and young fans.

Brooks Boyer originally  claimed the current netting would be lowered until game time for interaction.  I don't know if that was determined to be too big of a pain in the ass or what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dick Allen said:

Brooks Boyer originally  claimed the current netting would be lowered until game time for interaction.  I don't know if that was determined to be too big of a pain in the ass or what.

Sounds like marketing biting off more than the engineering team was paid to chew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mqr said:

Sounds like marketing biting off more than the engineering team was paid to chew

I admittedly am not a net engineer but don't football teams do this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I admittedly am not a net engineer but don't football teams do this?

Nor I, but your dealing with a much more  complicated situation with a baseball stadium than football I would imagine. 

Nets need to be sturdier, are much larger, aren’t straight across etc. etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mqr said:

Nor I, but your dealing with a much more  complicated situation with a baseball stadium than football I would imagine. 

Nets need to be sturdier, are much larger, aren’t straight across etc. etc. 

Yea, I would think some sort of a system would need to be implemented in order to pull that off.  Nothing that you can just set up and go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sucks for the few passionate fans that can and are willing to take the risk but it's the right thing to do and will ensure a safe experience for all fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yea, I would think some sort of a system would need to be implemented in order to pull that off.  Nothing that you can just set up and go

I get it for the new full nets, I was just surprised that the extended netting from the previous year had not been made to retract for between innings/pregame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I specifically sit in section 145 a couple rows off the field because it's close to players and there is no net.  I got a ball Tim threw into the section a couple weeks ago between innings actually.  I also go to a fair bit of games.  I get why they are doing it bit I still don't like it.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I get it for the new full nets, I was just surprised that the extended netting from the previous year had not been made to retract for between innings/pregame.

Not really sure what the point would be, or if the point would be worth the trouble. Not like you can high five someone over the dugout, and fans are still able to get balls tossed to them. 

I've seen Tim go over the netting a bunch this year.

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I specifically sit in section 145 a couple rows off the field because it's close to players and there is no net.  I got a ball Tim threw into the section a couple weeks ago between innings actually.  I also go to a fair bit of games.  I get why they are doing it bit I still don't like it.

Unfortunately it's not something you can "opt into" as you might have a neighbor or something in the section that for whatever reason wants the netting down or needs it down.

I get the frustration it's really going to dampen the experience towards the foul poles where you get to interact with the players, lean over the railing, get foul balls and ball thrown to you, stuff like that will be more limited now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Effectively Wild podcast recently debated this and the best argument they could come up with against the netting is that it will impact the player-fan interaction that MLB already struggles with. We aren't going to get to see any of those great into-the-stands diving catches anymore, and it will be harder for kids to interact with players before games. That is a shame to some degree.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Effectively Wild podcast recently debated this and the best argument they could come up with against the netting is that it will impact the player-fan interaction that MLB already struggles with. We aren't going to get to see any of those great into-the-stands diving catches anymore, and it will be harder for kids to interact with players before games. That is a shame to some degree.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Brooks Boyer originally  claimed the current netting would be lowered until game time for interaction.  I don't know if that was determined to be too big of a pain in the ass or what.

I have a feeling in a few years we'll end up seeing this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×