GRate to get Netting to the Foul Poles

Panerista

1 hour ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

This was only done because it is a state government run facility and they are always paranoid about litigation. not that it isn't the right decision but that's why they are one of the first.

Edited by ptatc

5 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Some idiot called into the Score and complained about his season tickets being impacted, saying he won’t renew them because it will hurt him on the secondary market and he can’t get autographs. Get over it.

Sounds like a standard-issue Score caller.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Some idiot called into the Score and complained about his season tickets being impacted, saying he won’t renew them because it will hurt him on the secondary market and he can’t get autographs. Get over it.

Why is that stupid? His view isnt as good now. The sox aren't entitled to his money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yea, I would think some sort of a system would need to be implemented in order to pull that off.  Nothing that you can just set up and go

I feel like someone will work out a system for the nets to go up and down. There will probably be enough stadiums around the world doing this that some engineering type will figure out something to sell to teams. Just give it an offseason trade show or two.

43 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

This sucks for the few passionate fans that can and are willing to take the risk but it's the right thing to do and will ensure a safe experience for all fans.

MLB should take a page out of the NPB's playbook and have "excite" seats. It gives seats with no netting for those fans who want it while also being a special experience for other fans and the team can probably charge more for those seats.

8 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Why is that stupid? His view isnt as good now. The sox aren't entitled to his money.

Because there is absolutely zero chance the secondary market is affected at all by this. And if your concerned about the secondary market not renewing right before your tickets might actually be worth something over nets is seriously short sighted. 

Edited by mqr
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GenericUserName said:

I feel like someone will work out a system for the nets to go up and down. There will probably be enough stadiums around the world doing this that some engineering type will figure out something to sell to teams. Just give it an offseason trade show or two.

MLB should take a page out of the NPB's playbook and have "excite" seats. It gives seats with no netting for those fans who want it while also being a special experience for other fans and the team can probably charge more for those seats.

Or do what they’re doing which is better in literally ever way

2 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

The secondary market argument was stupid. People will still buy his seats. If he is worried about something that will become mainstream that obstructs his view, okay, but if other parks are going to do it too, he is kind of dumb to get rid of season tickets. If the idiot gets rid of his season tickets, then so be it. I bet he keeps them and gets over it. And who the hell his age needs autographs?

Edited by The Beast

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

This was only done because it is a state government run facility and they are always paranoid about litigation. not that it isn't the right decision but that's why they are one of the first.

I was about to post this but you brought it up first.  After the little girl gettin drilled by Almora, they fear the lawsuits coming.

I have seats for many years behind the visitors dugout. There were no nets when we first moved there. They extended the nets about 2 years ago and I thought it would be terrible but you adjust suprisingly quick, after the first game I didn't even notice the nets anymore

I have witnessed a couple of horrible injuries caused by foul balls. One in particular, I saw an older women get smashed in the face by a line drive foul ball,  her nose shattered, blood everywhere. It would have been hard for many people paying attention to protect themselves on a ball like that. Players are bigger and stronger and there are more distractions (cell phones, video boards).

Its the right thing to do, the risk is too high.

• Like 1

I went to a game a while back and was sitting sort of near the foul pole but back a bit. Netting wouldnt have stopped this ball that went zooming bounced once on walkway and hit drunk guy right on the face, splitting hit cheek. He thought he could catch it, but had no chance. So everyone has to pay attention no matter what.

I do like the netting though, more safety the better, more people will be willing to bring younger children to the park and sit closer. I do wonder how this will affect the game, and it will affect the game. Players wont have the range to go in the stands to get the balls. And what happens if a ball hits the netting? Is it still in play. What if the ball is hit high and just skimms netting and player catches the ball? Hmmm. Interesting. This will have a ballpark effect. 

Edited by Chisox378

15 hours ago, The Beast said:

Lol at a Sox fan worrying about the secondary market being effected.  Not really a thing and hasn't been for a long time.