GRate to get Netting to the Foul Poles

Panerista

On 6/18/2019 at 5:24 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

This sucks for the few passionate fans that can and are willing to take the risk but it's the right thing to do and will ensure a safe experience for all fans.

Jerry will pay for it in saved souvenir baseballs.

On 6/18/2019 at 11:00 PM, ron883 said:

Baseball is being taken over by a bunch of PC wimps.

Bad take. Very bad. Got to have the netting. in this day and age of home run or nothing, the ball is zipping off the bat to where only Superman can survive some of these laser beams!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

If you are afraid of a foul ball, sit in the upper deck to watch the game. When my kids were little I always sat in the upper deck or outfield on purpose to protect them. 

I'm not saying it isn't a good idea to have the nets, it will protect people. However a little fore thought goes a long way.

I think one thing MLB teams should do is allow the season ticket holders in the seats that will have the new nets in front of them to change seats or get a refund. they are changing the experience for them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 12:09 PM, ptatc said:

If you are afraid of a foul ball, sit in the upper deck to watch the game. When my kids were little I always sat in the upper deck or outfield on purpose to protect them. 

I'm not saying it isn't a good idea to have the nets, it will protect people. However a little fore thought goes a long way.

I think one thing MLB teams should do is allow the season ticket holders in the seats that will have the new nets in front of them to change seats or get a refund. they are changing the experience for them.

It's not a matter of being afraid or not.  It's not even really a matter of paying attention.  You are not a professional athlete and are unlikely to do something as basic as buying a beer when a baseball is flying at your head.  

Nets are essential.  The end.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

It's not a matter of being afraid or not.  It's not even really a matter of paying attention.  You are not a professional athlete and are unlikely to do something as basic as buying a beer when a baseball is flying at your head.  

Nets are essential.  The end.

2 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Nets are essential.  Just my opinion.

Fixed.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

They started installation today. It probably will be all up by the next homestand.

They started the installation before yesterday. They went public with it yesterday. I think the Sox didn't like the Nationals stealing their headline.

The one thing that's kind of annoying (and I am going off what I've been told, not what I've seen so could be off) is that the net reportedly goes up roughly 3/4 of the foul pole. I am fine with the extended nets but does it have to be so high? Balls hitting the top of this net aren't going to be of the dangerous variety. I am nitpicking and I get the risk-reward here and how it is a no-brainer, but I am just hoping it's not messing with sight lines going over the top with the protection. 

27 minutes ago, raBBit said:

The one thing that's kind of annoying (and I am going off what I've been told, not what I've seen so could be off) is that the net reportedly goes up roughly 3/4 of the foul pole. I am fine with the extended nets but does it have to be so high? Balls hitting the top of this net aren't going to be of the dangerous variety. I am nitpicking and I get the risk-reward here and how it is a no-brainer, but I am just hoping it's not messing with sight lines going over the top with the protection. 

I’d rather it take up my whole field of vision than part of it tbh. Easier to tune out that way. 

Edited by mqr

Just now, mqr said:

I’d rather it take up my whole field of vision than part of it tbh.

That's an interesting point and you may be right. I wonder if that's the thinking behind the height of it. 

14 minutes ago, raBBit said:

That's an interesting point and you may be right. I wonder if that's the thinking behind the height of it. 

I would imagine minimizing the wire being in peoples sight was a consideration. That's why I was bigger on just going to the poles rather than like an extra 30 feet or something. It's almost certainly overkill from a safety perspective, but I think it's better from a viewing perspective. 

The most annoying seats (rather the only annoying seats) are the ones right on the edge and 108 and whatever the other corner is have the pole in their way anyway. 

Edited by mqr

• 2 weeks later...