GRate to get Netting to the Foul Poles

Panerista

The nets are a negative experience for me. Just another reason why I have lost interest in going to games. I understand why they are necessary. Perhaps they  could have an open helmet section for adults only. The limp entertainment and contests btw. innings is also a drag. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I've responded to it before and bmags had a post on it on the front page. I've already gotten rid of season tickets of the netting making the views worse, so that's the top reason. The one word responses are because a lot of it isnt worth responding to. We have posters who dont come off as genuine but rather want to feel morally superior on an internet message board for... reasons, shouting stuff like someone is going to die. Of course no one actually believes that. We have 140 years worth of data telling us why that wont happen. There are other safety factors to consider but this is probably the laziest way to address it. MLB more than ever needs fans to have an intimacy with the field and to have a closeness with its players. The first is a major selling point of modern baseball and the second point has always been one. The netting is going to do a lot more damage to that than I think people realize, but we shall see.

mod note: removed previous quote.

Except we really don't. So much has changed that we have kind of hit a confluence of factors that makes the situation untenable.

• Due to the swing change revolution, more balls are being hit in the air as opposed to on the ground. That makes it more dangerous.
  • Due to the juice ball and reduced drag, balls are being hit harder than ever and keeping that speed for a longer time. That makes it more dangerous.
  • Teams are eliminating foul ground and putting seats closer to the field so fans can be closer and so teams can fit more seats in. That makes it more dangerous.

So basically there are more balls hit harder in the air than ever before all while fans are closer to the field than before. So no, its not really the same as 100 years ago.

Edited by GenericUserName
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Just like the outrage when they banned smoking in bars, the net thing will blow over and most will be happy with it in a year. 

Earlier this year I ended up behind in seats behind the net behind the dugout. Honestly, you don't even really notice. You just kinda see past it. People are acting like they put a brick wall up or something lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

Earlier this year I ended up behind in seats behind the net behind the dugout. Honestly, you don't even really notice. You just kinda see past it. People are acting like they put a brick wall up or something lol

It could have been worse. They could've put up plexiglas or something like they have up in hockey rinks.

• Like 1