MLB.com updated top 100

soxfan49

28 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I figure Vaughn will be somewhere in the top 50 as well. The Sox basically need all these guys to pan out as there is very little depth behind them. 

On the mlb pipeline podcast they said Vaughn would slot in somewhere around 30.

https://www.mlb.com/news/rangers-sam-huff-joins-the-pipeline-podcast?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

It's at about 38 minutes in where they touch on Vaughn.

Edited by TomPickle

Having 5 guys in the top 30 isn't that bad. At the beginning of the year I wouldn't have said we lacked in prospect depth, but after all the struggles in AA it is starting to feel that way. It also hurts having the guys who did so great in great falls last year stumbling in Kanny. Also we have recently graduated quite a few top prospects which also hurts depth. I really think if we have a guy or 2 break out who is struggling in AA or A the depth wont be that big of an issue.

2 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

Having 5 guys in the top 30 isn't that bad. At the beginning of the year I wouldn't have said we lacked in prospect depth, but after all the struggles in AA it is starting to feel that way. It also hurts having the guys who did so great in great falls last year stumbling in Kanny. Also we have recently graduated quite a few top prospects which also hurts depth. I really think if we have a guy or 2 break out who is struggling in AA or A the depth wont be that big of an issue.

My take is all of our currently ranked prospects (outside of Vaughn) likely "graduate" this year or next year.  We are pretty barren after that unfortunately.  We will land a top 15 pick next year at least.

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

My take is all of our currently ranked prospects (outside of Vaughn) likely "graduate" this year or next year.  We are pretty barren after that unfortunately.  We will land a top 15 pick next year at least.

That's true, but also it is really nice that we will have most of the talent from our highly ranked farm a couple years ago all up at the same time. I wish we had better player development. we have a big group of guys that I feel like if they were in the Rays or Cardinals system would take off and become highly ranked guys. Also, if our AA outfield played for the Yankees a couple of them would be in the top 100. (I don't think theyre deserving but being a yank would get them there)

I don't think the cupboard is that bare. 

They may not currently be ranked top 100, but there is still a chance the Rutherfords, Dunnings, Burdis, Adolfos, Basabes, Walkers and even the Gonzales and the Pilkingtons could become something. 

We don't know what Burger might do, and heck, I'm still hopeful for Ian Hamilton and Ryan Burr.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

We are really lacking prospect depth.

Not really. We are top heavy but other teams have four guys in the top 100, but they are further back. I'd rather ours be up front. We have guys in that 110 to 175 range and that is okay after our graduations. 

On 6/19/2019 at 6:53 PM, BackDoorBreach said:

We are really lacking prospect depth.

That is pretty normal if you graduate like 5 or 6 top 100 prospects in the last 3 years.

Kopech, giolito, lopez, moncada, eloy all graduated so having like 5 top 100 left is pretty decent. 

Also Rutherford, hansen, dunning and fullmer have been ranked top100 by some publications but it didn't work out.

The cubs systems wasn't great either after their guys all graduated. You have to look at prospects plus young mlb guys, nobody graduates tons of guys and remains a top system, farms are cyclical.

The big issue w the sox is not lack of prospect depth but the rate of injuries and underperformance, their young guys simply didn't hit immediately like the Braves or cubs kids. 

Fortunately gio and moncada seem to have turned the corner, sometimes it takes time.

• Like 1