GT Chicago vs Chicago, 6/19/19, 7:05 CT

soxfan49

1 hour ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Not even 24 hours ago Moncada couldn't swing the bat right handed, now he is starting. I really don't want him to actually play unless he is 90-100%, the risk isn't worth the reward

It's like they are trying to test the baseball gods to see how far he can go before it's a more serious injury.

10 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

It's like they are trying to test the baseball gods to see how far he can go before it's a more serious injury.

I agree it's really strange but surly the Doctors have given the green light.  He's a very valuable piece of property and Ricky wouldn't have the authority to override the Docs.

Just now, SoxAce said:

Docs from Golden State agree. ;)

players will do weird things in championship series/games. Jack Youngblood played in the playoffs and Super Bowl with fractured fibula. John Elway had a surgery to detach his biceps so he could play in a Super Bowl.

usually don't do this for regular games though.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

players will do weird things in championship series/games. Jack Youngblood played in the playoffs and Super Bowl with fractured fibula. John Elway had a surgery to detach his biceps so he could play in a Super Bowl.

usually don't do this for regular games though.

Oh I was joking. I know there is a big difference in the magnitude of it.

Just now, SoxAce said:

Oh I was joking. I know there is a big difference in the magnitude of it.

I know you were joking about moncada but it just reminded me of some of the weird things players do for championships.  The competitive drive is a lot more than I ever had or have.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I know you were joking about moncada but it just reminded me of some of the weird things players do for championships.  The competitive drive is a lot more than I ever had or have.

I often wonder if players aren't being forced by their teams to play. Millions of dollars are on the line and teams want to win. I can see Jordan willing himself to play because he was crazy in that way, but not many others would truly sacrifice their bodies willingly. 

7 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I doubt if they even pitch to Moncada with Cordell, Sanchez, and Out batting behind him. 

Ricky should've batted Giolito behind Moncada juuust in case. :lol:

Edited by SoxAce

25 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I often wonder if players aren't being forced by their teams to play. Millions of dollars are on the line and teams want to win. I can see Jordan willing himself to play because he was crazy in that way, but not many others would truly sacrifice their bodies willingly. 

In 30 years in the field I have never seen a player forced to play. I've seen some talk them into it, but I've never seen someone refuse to play and them forced to.

Most of the time it's the players themselves contradicting the medical staff. Whether it be from not wanting to lose a roster spot or the competitive drive to win. I can't tell you how many times an NFL player would come off the field with a head injury and say it was their shoulder so they wouldnt check for a concussion. This is why they came up with the AT spotter up in the booth and the independent neurologist  on the sidelines.

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

In 30 years in the field I have never seen a player forced to play. I've seen some talk them into it, but I've never seen someone refuse to play and them forced to.

Most of the time it's the players themselves contradicting the medical staff. Whether it be from not wanting to lose a roster spot or the competitive drive to win. I can't tell you how many times an NFL player would come off the field with a head injury and say it was their shoulder so they wouldnt check for a concussion. This is why they came up with the AT spotter up in the booth and the independent neurologist  on the sidelines.

I'm referring to big games. I dont think teams put guns to their heads but they may strongly urge them to play. Leaks come out about players being cleared by doctors, or in Durant's case, that teammates question his heart and desire to play. I don't think Durant would have played if his heart and toughness weren't questioned. In championship games I think truly injured players are nudged to play by their teams. 

That being said, you are right about concussions and the like during regular season contests especially with non stars. Congrats on the 30 year career, that is awesome. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic