GT Chicago vs Chicago, 6/19/19, 7:05 CT

soxfan49

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Cub fans are already trolling, saying Gio sucks, etc. 

The average fan has a limited iq and barely knows what is going on in this game.   If it wasn't for the names on the back of the jerseys they would be completely lost.  

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You seriously can’t believe this nonsense right?  This is all just an act?  Because no one could possibly believe the guy who said “the money will be spent” and that we “unprecedented economic flexibility” is going to turn around 12 months later when we have a cheap and controllable promising young core in place and pull a complete 180.  I get being skeptical of landing a whale, but this is just irrational thought.

He believes that when Hahn says those things, he's referring to keeping the homegrown players after their team control is up, and not signing FA. If you go by franchise history, he has a point. The Sox love to keep their own, and they go on the cheap in FA. 

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

The average fan has a limited iq and barely knows what is going on in this game.   If it wasn't for the names on the back of the jerseys they would be completely lost.  

Not the average fan. These are people that know their baseball that are Cub fans. 

Cubs/Sox comes in and these folks completely lose their collective minds. 

Shove it up your ass, Cub fans. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Not the average fan. These are people that know their baseball that are Cub fans. 

If they are saying that Gio sucks based on a single start then I would suggest that they are morons who happen to be Cub fans.   I doubt they know baseball.  

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You seriously can’t believe this nonsense right?  This is all just an act?  Because no one could possibly believe the guy who said “the money will be spent” and that we “unprecedented economic flexibility” is going to turn around 12 months later when we have a cheap and controllable promising young core in place and pull a complete 180.  I get being skeptical of landing a whale, but this is just irrational thought.

End of last offseason — “The money will be spent.”  Hahn extends Eloy.

End of next offseason — “The money will be spent.”  Hahn extends Giolito.

What is so crazy about what I am suggesting? History, and specially last offseason, is on my side.  I don’t see much in Sox history that would make me think your expectations will occur.

He believes that when Hahn says those things, he's referring to keeping the homegrown players after their team control is up, and not signing FA. If you go by franchise history, he has a point. The Sox love to keep their own, and they go on the cheap in FA. 

No he doesn’t because that’s not at all what Hahn said over and over last season.  Again, it’s one thing to be skeptical we land a major free agent, it’s somewhat totally different to just make up BA theories that run counter to things that were actually said.  

And if you want to cite history, when have we ever had this much finically flexibility?  The answer is we haven’t so this is unprecedented territory.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This exactly.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

End of last offseason — “The money will be spent.”  Hahn extends Eloy.

End of next offseason — “The money will be spent.”  Hahn extends Giolito.

What is so crazy about what I am suggesting? History, and specially last offseason, is on my side.  I don’t see much in Sox history that would make me think your expectations will occur.

Other than we have never rocked as small of a payroll like you are suggesting in a season we where going for it.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

No he doesn’t because that’s not at all what Hahn said over and over last season.  Again, it’s one thing to be skeptical we land a major free agent, it’s somewhat totally different to just make up BA theories that run counter to things that were actually said.  

And if you want to cite history, when have we ever had this much finically flexibility?  The answer is we haven’t so this is unprecedented territory.

But we had more than enough room last offseason and going forward to add a $25 to $30 million dollar per year player salary.  The Sox publicized their damn interest in both non-stop and failed to land either guy with minimal teams interested in both guys.  History supports me.  Look no further than last year.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They stayed away from 2005-2009 which were the years they made the most money in JR's ownership time. They won 89+ games 3 times, they did carry a top 5 payroll but they never put the team over the top. 

One of my biggest gripes is them not spending to put the team over the top from 2001-04. 

I'm not going to bring it up in a gamethread, but I'll believe the Sox sign any FA of significance when Twitter is blowing up and Rosenthal, Heyman et al, are all saying it's done, and the Sox have signed player X. Too scarred by this past offseason. 

They proved with their offers they were never actually serious. If the number didn't start with a 3, they weren't serious. I don't want to re-hash the offseason, so I'm going to STFU right now. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

But we had more than enough room last offseason and going forward to add a $25 to $30 million dollar per year player salary.  The Sox publicized their damn interest in both non-stop and failed to land either guy with minimal teams interested in both guys.  History supports me.  Look no further than last year.

And they were willing to add said player at $30M/year for the next eight seasons, so what is your point?  The issue was with years nine & ten, which is stupid but a totally different issue.  And while that same issue might prevent us from landing Rendon or Cole, pretty much every other free agent will be in play.  The Sox will have more money to spend than any other team in baseball next offseason and will no longer have a “it’s a year too early” excuses to not spend it.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Other than we have never rocked as small of a payroll like you are suggesting in a season we where going for it.

Hahn couldn’t afford a $25-$30 million dollar franchise player last year that would still be in his prime for the start of the expected competitive seasons?  Does Hahn not have payroll projections for years into the future at his ready, to know that one of these two guys could easily fit into their payroll moving forward?

Where will you move next when I am proven right?  😉

Edited by Moan4Yoan

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They stayed away from 2005-2009 which were the years they made the most money in JR's ownership time. They won 89+ games 3 times, they did carry a top 5 payroll but they never put the team over the top. 

One of my biggest gripes is them not spending to put the team over the top from 2001-04. 

Not spending money to put a team over the top is not the same as having a bottom five payroll like some people are suggesting.  In non rebuilding years, the Sox have always been league average or better.  That would be ~$125M in 2019 and I personally think we go higher than that.

And they were willing to add said player at $30M/year for the next eight seasons, so what is your point?  The issue was with years nine & ten, which is stupid but a totally different issue.  And while that same issue might prevent us from landing Rendon or Cole, pretty much every other free agent will be in play.  The Sox will have more money to spend than any other team in baseball next offseason and will no longer have a “it’s a year too early” excuses to not spend it.

“Willing” means nothing to me.  Is either guy a White Sox?  Even when there were limited suitors?  Nope.

”If my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle.”

Not spending money to put a team over the top is not the same as having a bottom five payroll like some people are suggesting.  In non rebuilding years, the Sox have always been league average or better.  That would be ~$125M in 2019 and I personally think we go higher than that.

They were in the middle of the pack in payroll during those years. 

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Hahn couldn’t afford a $25-$30 million dollar franchise player last year that would still be in his prime for the start of the expected competitive seasons?  Does Hahn not have payroll projections for years into the future at his ready, to know that one of these two guys could easily fit into their payroll moving forward?

Where will you move next when I am proven right?  😉

Again, not wanting to guarantee money into years 9 & 10 has nothing to do with the fact they prepared to pay Machado $30M/year over the next eight seasons.  Like are you really ignoring that?

Anyway, these are still ace numbers: 

85.1 IP 2.74 ERA 1.02 WHIP 104 K

Gio is still good. If  you spread out an extra run here or there and have 3 tonight, you still get the same numbers. 

I take solace that he made Kris Bryant his b**** 3 times. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Again, not wanting to guarantee money into years 9 & 10 has nothing to do with the fact they prepared to pay Machado $30M/year over the next eight seasons.  Like are you really ignoring that?

A team that truly wants a franchise player isn’t worried about guaranteeing years 9 and 10.  How long did Harper, Arenado, and Trout sign for?  If the Sox are too worried about the final two years of a contract that every other young top tier free agent gets guaranteed, then they had no chance to sign the guy to begin with.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If hey were that concerned, they could have front loaded it and off set it with 2 14M  years at the end. That would be chump change by then, offset it in 2019 and 2020. Machado gets his $300M, We get the player. Everyone wins. But no, they had to outsmart themselves. 

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic