GT Chicago vs Chicago, 6/19/19, 7:05 CT

soxfan49

1 hour ago, Chisox378 said:

You all attack me because I believe same sex marriage and homosexuality is a sin.  You preach tolerance but you are the most intolerant of all.

Someone said something once about putting your sword away... no?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Ok great, I mostly agree.  But that issue won’t apply to every single free agent in this offseason’s class.  Outside of Rendon & Cole, everyone will be fair game because the length of their contracts will be short.

Michael Brantley would have fit our club nicely  but we wasted the offseason chasing you know who.  If we make an offer to Rendon and/or Cole we shouldn't hang around waiting while everyone else gets sucked up.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

Michael Brantley would have fit our club nicely  but we wasted the offseason chasing you know who.  If we make an offer to Rendon and/or Cole we shouldn't hang around waiting while everyone else gets sucked up.

They didn’t want to sign guys like Brantley last year though.  And while he has been fantastic, let’s see what the Astros get out of him in 2020 & 2021.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They didn’t want to sign guys like Brantley last year though.  And while he has been fantastic, let’s see what the Astros get out of him in 2020 & 2021.

They didn't sign Brantley because they hoped to get Harper.  My point is make fair offers and move on if they are not excepted.  Don't get caught empty handed.

8 hours ago, Chisox378 said:

You all attack me because I believe same sex marriage and homosexuality is a sin.  You preach tolerance but you are the most intolerant of all.

You don't get to play this card, you are the one that brought your unsolicited  opinions to the board and you are the intolerant one on the board.  My best friend is homosexual and I trust him with my life and I would appreciate if you would keep your incredibly wrong and hateful opinions to yourself for the entirety of your continued membership to this site.

• Thanks 8

7 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I think you greatly underestimate the effect of a TRULY competitive FA market.

All of the players you cited will have more than one or two teams vying for their signature. In order to sign any of the top player available in FA this offseason, one or more of the teams trying to sign them will have to offer more money, more years, or both. This FURTHER reinforces the imbecility of not signing Machado or Harper in a comparatively non-competitive offseason for top FAs this past winter.

Moreover, JR's reluctance to sign pitchers to longer term deals will likely keep them out of the, say Bumgarner, or other top SP sweepstakes.

On balance I agree with those who [IMO] rightly state that the money will be spent, but it will be spent on extensions, NOT FA additions. I hope I'm wrong, but I see no evidence to the contrary.

I love the idea of extensions but I think both extensions and FA additions will be their MO.  It's time to roll out the big guns.

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I do hope the mentality of the FO becomes more aggressive. Teams like Houston, Boston, New York, LA are not afriad to see what they will get out of a player down the road. I have said the same thing about service time. When you become a competitor, service time also becomes a lesser concern.

The Sox are not there yet but hopefully by 2021 we are signing players to win that year and are bringing up players who can help us win now rather than worry if it affects their service time.  It is a different mentality with more risks taken when you hope to have long term success but make moves for short term success. 

5 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I do hope the mentality of the FO becomes more aggressive. Teams like Houston, Boston, New York, LA are not afriad to see what they will get out of a player down the road. I have said the same thing about service time. When you become a competitor, service time also becomes a lesser concern.

The Sox are not there yet but hopefully by 2021 we are signing players to win that year and are bringing up players who can help us win now rather than worry if it affects their service time.  It is a different mentality with more risks taken when you hope to have long term success but make moves for short term success. 

I have every expectation that we will compete in 2020.  Jerry is 83 years old.  Long range plan should be now.

9 hours ago, Chisox378 said:

Give it up. Stick with the White Sox and the game of baseball. Yes the left today is very intolerant. So is the other side, we live in very ugly times. I wonder if you feel like the words of this old tune? The world has gone mad today
And good's bad today,
And black's white today,
And day's night today,
When most guys today
That women prize today
Are just silly gigolos

A great tune from a golden era. Written by Cole Porter. You should google him. The world is more complicated and nuanced than we want it to be.

As for the game. I had a gut feeling the Cubs would win and that Giolito would lay an egg. He was over due for a sub par outing. There's lots of promise on the Sox but they still have a long way to go. Lastly, I HATE losing to the Cubs. 

Kyyle has proven my point in his last post.

SI1020, Im happy to stick with baseball and that is what I was doing until they started to negatively comment on my faith for no reason but to silence me and comments I made on a thread months ago.

I get it though, everyone is a little on edge after the Cubs had us whipped up.

Edited by Chisox378
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Kyyle has proven my point in his last post.

SI1020, Im happy to stick with baseball and that is what I was doing until they started to negatively comment on my faith for no reason but to silence me and a thread that I posted months ago.

I get it though, everyone is a little on edge after the Cubs had us whipped up.

Yea stick to baseball, probably your best bet.   Although I'm sure you can find like minds elsewhere 

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic