GT Chicago vs Chicago, 6/19/19, 7:05 CT

soxfan49

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

In 2024 when Eloy is a 5 WAR player hitting 290/360/550 annually and Quintana is barely hanging around the league as a back end starter it will be obvious who got the better of the deal.   Cease will have his say as well.

You mean when Q is back on the Sox 

• Love 1

Adding a piece to a team at the exact time the piece is needed is very valuable. You could argue that whatever production you get from Eloy this year is "wasted" in the sense you miss the playoffs (although this is overly simplistic). The gap between Q and the guys he was replacing on their staff was large and at a time they really needed it. Certainly more justifiable than the Aroldis Chapman deal.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jake said:

Adding a piece to a team at the exact time the piece is needed is very valuable. You could argue that whatever production you get from Eloy this year is "wasted" in the sense you miss the playoffs (although this is overly simplistic). The gap between Q and the guys he was replacing on their staff was large and at a time they really needed it. Certainly more justifiable than the Aroldis Chapman deal.

First time I've heard this take:  most believe all is forgiven in the Chapman deal because he helped them win a world series.  They have little to show for the Q deal.

Let's not shit on Q. He was quietly one of the best left-handed pitchers in baseball and their staff was abysmal. He was also on a cheap, long term contract.

Verlander hadn't begun his career second wind and wasn't under contract long term.

18 minutes ago, Quin said:

Let's not shit on Q. He was quietly one of the best left-handed pitchers in baseball and their staff was abysmal. He was also on a cheap, long term contract.

Verlander hadn't begun his career second wind and wasn't under contract long term.

Verlander didnt discover PEDs at the time

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

Verlander didnt discover PEDs at the time

Do you know this for a fact or are you assuming PED use because of his rejuvenation?

I ask this because there was an excellent story in Sports Illustrated a couple of months ago about how Houston is on the leading edge of the new analytics craze.  Since he was traded to the Astros, Verlander has spent countless hours delving into all the new-fangled stuff such as how to increase spin rate, etc.

I say that's the reason for his second life.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Not even 24 hours ago Moncada couldn't swing the bat right handed, now he is starting. I really don't want him to actually play unless he is 90-100%, the risk isn't worth the reward

Did Moncada and Leury get cortisone shots or something?

1 minute ago, vilehoopster said:

Just looked at the radar. I don't see anyway this game gets played. There's a long line of rain coming up from the southwest towards Chicago. 

I was wondering about this as well. I've got tickets but I am not driving into the city an hour and a half just to have to turn around and come back. 

7 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Just looked at the radar. I don't see anyway this game gets played. There's a long line of rain coming up from the southwest towards Chicago. 

I would think they'd call this early and say screw concession money if they didn't want to play it. Chicago weather has been odd and it may actually get through comfortably. 

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic