Let's talk Eloy hitting cleanup

Richie

McCann has been a revelation with his production from the catcher position, but this is inevitable... right? I would say he's about earned it. 

I would also like to see Moncada slot back up to lead-off (at least vs LHP) and Anderson permanently hit 2nd. However, Ricky seems married to Leury (despite his low walk rate) and only hitting Anderson 2nd vs LHP. McCann slots into 5th. Leury slides down to 6th or 7th. Abreu sticks in the #3 hole. Moncada gets on more than anyone on the team. Him followed by Anderson/Abreu/Eloy/McCann seemingly is our best offensive attack. 

However, this other stuff has already been discussed and this thread is about Eloy... so... I sort of digress. 

Edited by Richie

27 minutes ago, Richie said:

McCann has been a revelation with his production from the catcher position, but this is inevitable... right? I would say he's about earned it. 

I would also like to see Moncada slot back up to lead-off (at least vs LHP) and Anderson permanently hit 2nd. However, Ricky seems married to Leury (despite his low walk rate) and only hitting Anderson 2nd vs LHP. McCann slots into 5th. Leury slides down to 6th or 7th. Abreu sticks in the #3 hole. Moncada gets on more than anyone on the team. Him followed by Anderson/Abreu/Eloy/McCann seemingly is our best offensive attack. 

However, this other stuff has already been discussed and this thread is about Eloy... so... I sort of digress. 

Hell No to Moncada at leadoff. He needs to hit 2nd. Moncada is much better hitting 2nd than leadoff. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I'm probably in batshit crazy PlayStation mode here, but a couple bullet points....

• Moncada is the best hitter on the team and should hit 3rd.
  • Abreu isn't a 3 hitter. F$%& pride. He is a power bat in decline, and should bat cleanup.
  • Eloy is at his ceiling a prototypical 5 hitter on a great offensive team.
  • We don't have a prototype OBP/Speed leadoff hitter,
  • Anderson needs as many ABs as he can get so he can have the most impact for the team. 

So...

Anderson
McCann
Moncada
Abreu
Eloy

Everyone else on the team is replacement level or below so who cares who hits where after the 5-hole.

I'm gonna go back to my day job now and stop with the armchair baseball managing.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Eloy is at his ceiling a prototypical 5 hitter on a great offensive team.

Since when are power hitters who hit above .300 prototypical 5 hitter? The number 3 spot historically has been for the best bat in the lineup, guys who hit for power and average, I think Eloy should be moved to 3rd spot now with Moncada and Anderson batting either 1 or 2 and Abreu clean up.

3 hours ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Since when are power hitters who hit above .300 prototypical 5 hitter? The number 3 spot historically has been for the best bat in the lineup, guys who hit for power and average, I think Eloy should be moved to 3rd spot now with Moncada and Anderson batting either 1 or 2 and Abreu clean up.

Traditionally, the power hitter bats 3rd, but in reality, the fourth and 5th hitter are more likely to be at bat with more people on base.  The 3 slot is severely overvalued in today's game.  There is a very high chance the 3 slot comes up to bat with no one on.  The 5, on the other hand, has a better opportunity to bat with people on base.

The math is a little tricky, but it works out.  

Want to get really fun?  All this discussion only talks about the first inning.  There is another school of though which says "get your best player to bat the most".  In that case, the leadoff man and the 2 spot should be your best all-around hitters, because once the first inning is over, the leadoff man doesn't necessarily lead off anymore.  That's when things get really fun.

1/2 spot should be guys who get on base, 4-6 more power.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Traditionally, the power hitter bats 3rd, but in reality, the fourth and 5th hitter are more likely to be at bat with more people on base.  The 3 slot is severely overvalued in today's game.  There is a very high chance the 3 slot comes up to bat with no one on.  The 5, on the other hand, has a better opportunity to bat with people on base.

Want to get really fun?  All this discussion only talks about the first inning.  There is another school of though which says "get your best player to bat the most".  In that case, the leadoff man and the 2 spot should be your best all-around hitters, because once the first inning is over, the leadoff man doesn't necessarily lead off anymore.  That's when things get really fun.

The good news is, that when Magical, Robert, and FA right fielder get here, we won't have any glaring holes in our lineup. 

4 hours ago, JuliusO1274 said:

you are probably right... at his ceiling. Today though he's probably best suited in the 5 hole. I probably should have been more specific with my conjecture. :)

17 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

One problem the White Sox have is that until reinforcements arrive you've basically got three automatic outs (or singles) at any given night 7,8,9.  Makes it so Moncada and Leury don't see enough chances with RISP.

Not going to worry about posting a lineup ROS this year as it will have holes anyways.  Long term here's my ideal lineup.

Madrigal (280/360/380 30/38SB)

Moncada (280/350/500 10/15 SB)

Vaughn (260/360/480)

Eloy (300/350/550)

Robert (260/310/490 20/25 SB)

Anderson (290/320/500 35/40 SB)

McCann (270/340/400)

Tilson/FA/Madrigal (if they find someone better for leadoff)

My god we could be loaded in a couple years.  Astros like lineup.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Not going to worry about posting a lineup ROS this year as it will have holes anyways.  Long term here's my ideal lineup.

Madrigal (280/360/380 30/38SB)

Moncada (280/350/500 10/15 SB)

Vaughn (260/360/480)

Eloy (300/350/550)

Robert (260/310/490 20/25 SB)

Anderson (290/320/500 35/40 SB)

McCann (270/340/400)

Tilson/FA/Madrigal (if they find someone better for leadoff)

My god we could be loaded in a couple years.  Astros like lineup.

Personally I want Robert batting 1 getting more at bats. I would put Madrigal batting 8 or 9. With that stacked line up its not an insult to his bat.

Just now, yesterday333 said:

Personally I want Robert batting 1 getting more at bats. I would put Madrigal batting 8 or 9. With that stacked line up its not an insult to his bat.

Yea that was the hardest decision I had making it.  If Robert can hit for a high enough avg and OBP yea put Madrigal down and Robert up.  

Robert has 133 K's to only 47 bb at the minor league level. Unless he improves Madrigal would be a better option at leadoff since he will work counts and get on base. Madrigal should have a higher average as well. Right now Madrigal has an absolute outstanding walk to k rate as he as 27 bb to 12 k's in the minor leagues.

Edited by Chisox378