Banuelos to IL; Fulmer recalled

soxfan49

With Banuelos on the shelf, the Sox pretty much have to call up Cease this weekend.  Literally no other options in the upper minors even remotely worth trying, and they are not going to roll with 4 starters, though they maybe could with 2 more off days in the next 8 days. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

With Banuelos on the shelf, the Sox pretty much have to call up Cease this weekend.  Literally no other options in the upper minors even remotely worth trying, and they are not going to roll with 4 starters, though they maybe could with 2 more off days in the next 8 days. 

They could start Fulmer.

4 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

They could start Fulmer.

Not really.  He hasn't made a start in 2019.  They could use him as 2-3 inning opener, but they're not going to stretch him back out in the bigs.  Fulmer is a reliever.  

Just now, Jerksticks said:

Let him work on shit as long as we have control.  Would love to get some production at some point.  Maybe he makes a tweak that clicks one of these years.  He knows what he’s doing isn’t good enough.  

I agree - but FWIW, Fulmer will be out of options next season.  So we won't be able to option him back to AAA next season without exposing to waivers.  

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Detwiler will be the starter called up

Yes, he deserves a shot. 41 ip 3.73 era in Charlotte, thats better than Cease (57ip with a 4.37) at this point.

Edited by Chisox378

28 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I dont know why but I still believe in him. If he can just figure a few things out and be a good BP arm. 

I'm with you.  I also just have a feeling that he will be a useful bullpen arm when we are ready to really compete.  Throw strikes Carson!!

I don't think Carson was called up because of an assessment by the FO that he's definitely ready...in fact I suspect they'd prefer to keep him down there until his walk numbers get down. But Vieira can't be called back up at this point and they aren't going to open a spot on the 40 man for someone else to get the call.

48 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Shoulder inflammation for Banuelos, btw

BIG surprise (sarcasm implied). I think Rick has to deal for a pitcher soon, whether he likes it or not, not just for the rest of this year but as I stated previously to get a jump on the off season when the price of pitching poker goes way, WAY up.

Regarding Fulmer, as they say in baseball he's down to his last strike in my book. We'll see what happens.

Edited by Lip Man 1

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

I don't think Carson was called up because of an assessment by the FO that he's definitely ready...in fact I suspect they'd prefer to keep him down there until his walk numbers get down. But Vieira can't be called back up at this point and they aren't going to open a spot on the 40 man for someone else to get the call.

The dude was drafted as an almost ready college arm over 4 years ago. If he isn't ready for the big leagues by now then he most likely will never be ready. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is frankly no reason to move on yet.  

I agree 100%. He is still young and trying to get it figured out. He has displayed some real good stuff. It amazes me how quick some folks are willing to dismiss young prospects because the don’t win 20 games their first year in the Bigs or hit .400 with 60 homers 

40 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

The dude was drafted as an almost ready college arm over 4 years ago. If he isn't ready for the big leagues by now then he most likely will never be ready. 

It turns out he wasn't almost ready and the Sox seemed determined to ignore this information as they kept promoting him despite him struggling. For me, it throws off any obvious timeline for when he might reach his potential because he got to the MLB before he showed he was ready to move on from AA.

This year, his numbers are much different in that he's getting a lot more strikeouts and swings and misses than ever before, but his command is worse as well. I don't have high hopes for his time in the MLB right now but I don't dismiss the possibility that he eventually figures it out and becomes quite useful.

11 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

I agree 100%. He is still young and trying to get it figured out. He has displayed some real good stuff. It amazes me how quick some folks are willing to dismiss young prospects because the don’t win 20 games their first year in the Bigs or hit .400 with 60 homers 

C’mon, this is hyperbole when it comes to Fulmer.  No one expected this from Fulmer but they expected more than these numbers from a 1st round pick:

6.72 ERA and 1.69 WHIP in 77.2 career innings

• Like 1

I would like to believe the team gives him till the end of the year to try and figure it out at the ML level. If he could reproduce his results from AAA he would be a welcomed addition to the pen; here is hoping he crushes it this go around.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not really.  He hasn't made a start in 2019.  They could use him as 2-3 inning opener, but they're not going to stretch him back out in the bigs.  Fulmer is a reliever.  

Hopefully someday a good one.  For what he cost us...needs to be.