Cease Struggling in AAA Recently

I'm not that worried. His stuff is still there. His velocity is still there. His fastball command has escaped him the past couple starts. I'd rather see him go through this weird funk in the minors, fix it and come up with confidence when he reaches the majors. Kopech had a more extended, more worrying funk in AAA before going on a dominant stretch. I don't think Cease is hurt and I don't think he has the yips or anything (like Hansen possibly does), so I think he'll be fine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

I imagine the development team instructed him to work heavy changeup, or do something besides dominating with his fastball/curve before calling him up. 

His pitch mix really hasn't changed his last few starts from what I've noticed. He just hasn't been able to find the strike zone with his fastball. I think Dan's assessment is correct.

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

His pitch mix really hasn't changed his last few starts from what I've noticed. He just hasn't been able to find the strike zone with his fastball. I think Dan's assessment is correct.

Fair enough, I was just working on a hunch

9 minutes ago, ron883 said:

You'd think he will be up anytime now with the injuries in the staff

Yeah they're definitely running out of guys they can start. Injuries, the rotation having Despaigne, no one else pitching that well at Triple-A (hell, get Detwiler up here too).

I also almost suggested picking up Smyly and Straily until I looked at their numbers.

Edited by soxfan2014

40 minutes ago, raBBit said:

God forbid Gio or even Nova or Lopez get hurt...they have no depth whatsoever.

I don't think they planned too. They are expecting to compete next year with a rotation base of Giolito,  Lopez, Cease, Kopech and Rodon with Dunning in the minors. They didn't  want to acquire anyone who would take innings away from that group for next year. Even with Rodon going down they really only have one spot for next year. For this year they can fill the rotation with literally anyone. Find another Despaigne.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I don't think they planned too. They are expecting to compete next year with a rotation base of Giolito,  Lopez, Cease, Kopech and Rodon with Dunning in the minors. They didn't  want to acquire anyone who would take innings away from that group for next year. Even with Rodon going down they really only have one spot for next year. For this year they can fill the rotation with literally anyone. Find another Despaigne.

If they intend to actually contend next year the LAST thing they need is another has been who loses most of his starts. How soon fans forget years like 1996, 2003 and 2004 where the Sox "5th starters" were absolutely horrendous and was a big reason they failed to make the playoffs.

They need five "serviceable" pitchers guys who actually give them a reasonable chance to win every game they start, not four decent / good guys and a bum.

Stop shopping in the dumpster and get some quality and some depth.

On 6/19/2019 at 6:35 PM, Saladino'sMustache said:

https://therunnersports.com/something-is-wrong-with-dylan-cease/

Are you guys worried that something could actually be wrong with him? Or is he just working on different pitches?

This article says he was supposed to start tonight, but he’s not. Was the rotation shuffled a little but due to a rain out or something?

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If they intend to actually contend next year the LAST thing they need is another has been who loses most of his starts. How soon fans forget years like 1996, 2003 and 2004 where the Sox "5th starters" were absolutely horrendous and was a big reason they failed to make the playoffs.

They need five "serviceable" pitchers guys who actually give them a reasonable chance to win every game they start, not four decent / good guys and a bum.

No, we want the mediocre and bad players. Give us as many 10 million dollar and under bums as we can handle. 

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The reason you get a Despaigne is that they will only have him for this year. They don't need any special this year. They will have 5 for next year with the additions of Cease and Kopech, plus 1 to find in the off season. They price for a trade (if they go that route) will be too high during the season with the new trade deadline.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

The reason you get a Despaigne is that they will only have him for this year. They don't need any special this year. They will have 5 for next year with the additions of Cease and Kopech, plus 1 to find in the off season. They price for a trade (if they go that route) will be too high during the season with the new trade deadline.

That's why I suggest you try to get some help this year before everybody and his brother jumps into the pitching pool this off season. Not so much to help this year (although it couldn't hurt) but to try to avoid having to pay through the nose to get that one (or two) serviceable starters next winter. 

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

That's why I suggest you try to get some help this year before everybody and his brother jumps into the pitching pool this off season. Not so much to help this year (although it couldn't hurt) but to try to avoid having to pay through the nose to get that one (or two) serviceable starters next winter. 

I am all for this plan to get a head start. But what are we willing to trade for a good pitcher? 

On 6/20/2019 at 10:51 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

This is unrealistic though. No one is trading a quality starter at this time of year. Most teams are still in the race for a wild card and if they aren't they probably don't have a pitcher the Sox want. Even if they are willing, the price is probably too high right now. It will be interesting to see how the trade market changes with no extended waiver trade deadline this year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

This is unrealistic though. No one is trading a quality starter at this time of year. Most teams are still in the race for a wild card and if they aren't they probably don't have a pitcher the Sox want. Even if they are willing, the price is probably too high right now. It will be interesting to see how the trade market changes with no extended waiver trade deadline this year.

Even halfway decent starting pitching is very expensive to trade for. Every MLB club could use starting pitching depth. 

Cease will be up by August, and I don'[t blame the Sox for not rushing him to the majors just yet. 

On 6/20/2019 at 10:51 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

...and who might you suggest they go out and acquire in June?

1 hour ago, mqr said:

...and who might you suggest they go out and acquire in June?

Look at the eight teams that are out of the race / rebuilding and see what you may be able to do. In 2004 when the Sox needed pitching they got Garcia and Contreras. How did that work out? It can be done.