Favorite under the radar prospects

ron883

Any of you have prospects you're particularly interested in that may be under the radar and not often discussed? Mine would be Benyamin Bailey, 6'4 215 pound 17 year old in DSL. Purely a meatball take due to his size and numbers so far. Here's a quote about him on Reddit

"He's from Panama, and comes from a youth program that has placed several prospects in different organizations (including a few that have progressed very quickly). He's very big, but lanky, and is known for his natural hitting and some raw pop. In his youth ball, he was the star hitter on his team, and played a combo of 1B and OF. He has the size and speed to stick in the OF and might be able to play in center. He will likely bulk up once stateside, and that power should be more evident."

Sam Abbott is another one

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

For a true under the radar type, I’m going with Harvin Mendoza.  The fact that everyone is suddenly screaming out for Abbott when Mendoza was the far better 1B prospect at the same age & level shows just how under the radar he is.

Big time. Just looked up his stats. Any idea where he is starting this year?

• Like 1

I like following all of the DSL and AZL prospects because you just hope at any one point one will explode, but I admire when they can even handle the levels with some plus sign.

I think pitchers are really hard to follow early on but this Guzman in DSL has a great Badler writeup and has been missing bats while not throwing tons of walks. At a true 16, that’s pretty exciting.

Funny, I was just looking at this and constantly ponder future 40 man roster issues.  There is a reliever who has slowly and steadily progressed up the levels.  Incredible numbers lower and leveling off now.  Doesn't throw 100 but k's over one per inning yet doesn't walk many which is very different from most of our relief prospects.  Has a WHIP of about 1.0 for career and now at AAA.  Giving up a few to many HR but first time at AAA.  24 yoRHP.  Often pitches over an inning per appearance.  Think he will be rule 5 eligible after this year.  I wonder if he could be a solid middle reliever, not a all star mind you but solid which does have value.  So far he has been very steady as he moves up which again is different than many relievers.  Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Matt Foster.

Courtesy MILB.com

Matt Foster Stats Summary

LG LEVEL W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR HB BB IBB SO AVG WHIP GO/AO
Minors 2019  [-] - Minors 1 1 2.52 22 0 0 0 3 6 35.2 23 10 10 5 1 9 0 39 .185 0.90 0.67
Birmingham SOU AA 0 0 0.00 6 0 0 0 1 1 9.2 3 0 0 0 0 2 0 12 .097 0.52 0.45
Charlotte INT AAA 1 1 3.46 16 0 0 0 2 5 26.0 20 10 10 5 1 7 0 27 .215 1.04 0.75
Minors Career - Minors 3 8 2.24 111 0 0 0 29 34 153.0 109 50 38 10 2 41 1 183 .201 0.98 0.98

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Definitely only sign the named brand Guerrero’s.  Josie or whatever his name is should teach us that going forward.

He's had a nice start in AZ. He was very bad his first two years, absolutely. Adolfo didn't fare too much better his first two before finding his footing in year 3.

He's played 2 games so far, but he still has that talent somewhere, it could still be molded into a guy.