Strike zone yesterday.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Definitely one of the most one-sided games you will ever see in terms of strike zone. When you add in the blatantly missed call on Garcia, it was bad enough where Blaser should be disciplined.

disciplined?  The ump union will probably want to give him a raise.  their response to the machado ejection was bush league.   right now one of the biggest problems in MLB is the ump's union and I'm more often than not a union guy.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

disciplined?  The ump union will probably want to give him a raise.  their response to the machado ejection was bush league.   right now one of the biggest problems in MLB is the ump's union and I'm more often than not a union guy.

Umpiring is obsolete. Their job is obsolete. They can have a group of schmos in a war room in NYC make all of the calls in real time, with gameday and live video. 

MLB can tell the Umps to fuck off or they'll all lose their jobs. Either go along with this route and be the schmos, or we will find someone else to do it. 

I'm 100% a union guy, but times change and as long as they offer these guys the opportunity to run the war room I have no problems with it. 

If they want to have the guys travel still, they can have a booth at each ballpark. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

When you play teams like the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees, and BoSox, you must be prepared to have all the calls go against you. 

This is accurate and bullshit simultaneously, if that's possible 

Edited by Jack Parkman

20 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Umpiring is obsolete. Their job is obsolete. They can have a group of schmos in a war room in NYC make all of the calls in real time, with gameday and live video. 

MLB can tell the Umps to fuck off or they'll all lose their jobs. Either go along with this route and be the schmos, or we will find someone else to do it. 

I'm 100% a union guy, but times change and as long as they offer these guys the opportunity to run the war room I have no problems with it. 

If they want to have the guys travel still, they can have a booth at each ballpark. 

Totally.  If the Umps think losing one guy behind home plate every night is bad just wait until baseball proposes all umping is now done by one man per game via video in NYC.

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Totally.  If the Umps think losing one guy behind home plate every night is bad just wait until baseball proposes all umping is now done by one man per game via video in NYC.

I was with you until this, that sounds horrible if not totally untenable.

Too much needs to be watched simultaneously. 

Edited by mqr

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

I was with you until this, that sounds horrible if not totally untenable 

Obviously it will take a generational paradigm shift in how sports are officiated but things are moving in this direction.  Look at the XFL with their "eye in the sky" official -- something originally proposed by Dan Rooney a decade ago.  The NFL is finally considering it.

We already accept (easily I'd add) that replay is dictated by a central office thousands of miles away from the game so why not every call?

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Obviously it will take a generational paradigm shift in how sports are officiated but things are moving in this direction.  Look at the XFL with their "eye in the sky" official -- something originally proposed by Don Rooney a decade ago.  The NFL is considering such a move as well.  

We already accept (easily I'd add) that replay is dictated by a central office thousands of miles away from the game so why not every call?

It's less about being away from the field than it is too much for one person to officiate without way too many stops for reviews.

But on the topic of actually having people on the field, how would handle a pitcher headhunting if the ump is in New York? Wait for a phone call? A light behind the plate that says someone is ejected? 

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Definitely one of the most one-sided games you will ever see in terms of strike zone. When you add in the blatantly missed call on Garcia, it was bad enough where Blaser should be disciplined.

This.  I try very hard not to complain about umps/refs in any sport but that was legit one of the most one sided games I’ve ever seen.

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

It's less about being away from the field than it is too much for one person to officiate without way too many stops for reviews.

But on the topic of actually having people on the field, how would handle a pitcher headhunting if the ump is in New York? Wait for a phone call? A light behind the plate that says someone is ejected? 

trap door under the mound opens.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

need to go to robots.  the tech is pretty much mature at this point they have a 3D zone.

I agree...why would it be less important to get a strike/ball call correct than a safe or out at a base?  Some of these umps are just bad.

This might be dumb, but I was wondering if they could work out some sort of situation where the Ump still makes the calls but he has access to some sort of handheld device that could tell him where the pitch was if he's unsure of his call. So he'd still have the final say but would be able to use the technology as a backup for borderline pitches or something like when the catcher has to move his glove a long way so it looks like a ball but its actually in the zone. 

:huh

22 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yeah MLB umps might want the union to shut up... but....

I'm definitely for

Weekends
All Breaks at Work, including your Lunch Breaks
Paid Vacation
FMLA
Sick Leave
Social Security
Minimum Wage
Civil Rights Act/Title VII (Prohibits Employer Discrimination)
8-Hour Work Day
Overtime Pay
Child Labor Laws
Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
40 Hour Work Week
Worker's Compensation (Worker's Comp)
Unemployment Insurance
Pensions
Workplace Safety Standards and Regulations
Employer Health Care Insurance
Collective Bargaining Rights for Employees
Wrongful Termination Laws
Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
Whistleblower Protection Laws
Employee Polygraph Protect Act (Prohibits Employer from using a lie detector test on an employee)
Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)
Compensation increases and Evaluations (Raises)
Sexual Harassment Laws
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
Holiday Pay
Employer Dental, Life, and Vision Insurance
Privacy Rights
Pregnancy and Parental Leave
Military Leave
The Right to Strike
Public Education for Children
Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 (Requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work)
Laws Ending Sweatshops in the United States

Edited by harkness99

2 hours ago, joejoedairy said:

This might be dumb, but I was wondering if they could work out some sort of situation where the Ump still makes the calls but he has access to some sort of handheld device that could tell him where the pitch was if he's unsure of his call. So he'd still have the final say but would be able to use the technology as a backup for borderline pitches or something like when the catcher has to move his glove a long way so it looks like a ball but its actually in the zone. 

I actually had the same thought last night.  Ump calls it, but if it's so bad in pitch trax (like missed by a good inch) the ump gets like a little shock and changes the call.  Kidding about the shock part.  Maybe.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I actually had the same thought last night.  Ump calls it, but if it's so bad in pitch trax (like missed by a good inch) the ump gets like a little shock and changes the call.  Kidding about the shock part.  Maybe.

Could we attach the shock wires to the testicles?  Might see rapid dramatic improvement!

• Haha 1

Wednesday's game was frustrating to watch in the extreme.  By design, I have watched very little Cubs baseball over the last 2 years or so, and seeing Lester's strike zone on Wednesday served as a good reminder as to one of the reasons why.  They rode dominant pitching to the '16 WS, but I've always felt that some of those pitching results were driven by umpiring like we saw on Wednesday.  Lester, Arrieta and to a lesser degree Hendricks were all beneficiaries of expanded strike zones then and in the case of Lester - now as well. 

Maybe some type of electronic override would be a good idea.  If a pitch is more than in inch out of the zone, a ball is recorded regardless of the call on the field.

3 hours ago, joejoedairy said:

Why cant the system just tell the ump what to call. Then you keep the ump to call the ball or strike on the field. I mean if you can make the right call you should.