6/21 Games

BamaDoc

Cease looks better today. 4 strikeouts, no walks through 2 innings.

He has given up 4 hits and two runs, but 3 of the hits were a bit unlucky. A grounder up the middle in the first. A totally sawed off double in the second where the guy was fooled but flared something just inside the foul line. The ball didn't even make it out of the infield dirt, but went for two bases. He did fall behind one batter and grooved a 3-1 fastball for a double that bounced off the wall. The fourth hit was a roller that found a hole in the infield.

He's been ahead of most everyone and has only been hit hard once or twice. Not the best I've seen him look, but better than his recent outings for sure.

Let's see how he looks in the later innings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not saying Cease was incredible, but I swear I've never seen so many groundball hits. His BABIP tonight was 9/17 and maybe only 3 or 4 sharp hits. I'm actually more encouraged by today's start. The last few were somewhat worrying. This was progress.

Anybody know anything about Cease's changeup? I didn't see much of it tonight, but he threw two wicked ones in his last inning. At least I think they were changeups. 83 MPH that didn't move like his curve.

4 minutes ago, danman31 said:

Not saying Cease was incredible, but I swear I've never seen so many groundball hits. His BABIP tonight was 9/17 and maybe only 3 or 4 sharp hits. I'm actually more encouraged by today's start. The last few were somewhat worrying. This was progress.

Anybody know anything about Cease's changeup? I didn't see much of it tonight, but he threw two wicked ones in his last inning. At least I think they were changeups. 83 MPH that didn't move like his curve.

I too haven't seen much of his change-up. But when he does use it I've noticed some gnarly, silly looking hacks at it.