Rangers and Sox Game Thread

22 minutes ago, poppysox said:

16 for 16 for Colome.  He's worth a fortune in trade value.

I'm of a different mindset. I think we are too close to putting it all together, to be trading useful pieces, for more prospects. I'd rather see the Sox hold on to the guys who can contribute, going forward and acquire the few guys, to fill the holes. We are going to need a solid bullpen next year, and Colome can help. I'm not necessarily advocating that the Sox trade prospects, to acquire the missing pieces, however I think it's time to at least stop trading away good veterans for more long shot prospects, who may not be ready to contribute, during the window of contention. if ever.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Lillian said:

I'm of a different mind set. I think we are to close to putting it all together, to be trading useful pieces, for more prospects. I'd rather see the Sox hold on to the guys who can contribute, going forward and acquire the few guys, to fill the holes. We are going to need a solid bullpen next year, and Colome can help.

I don't disagree.  I've said a number of time that I'm 50-50 on both he and Abreu.  I'm happy to keep both but am open to trade for the right piece.  Neither in my mind should go for anything less than a useful right fielder who might be blocked where he is.  Starting pitching is also a need.  Not much interest in future pieces anymore.  The future is now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I don't disagree.  I've said a number of time that I'm 50-50 on both he and Abreu.  I'm happy to keep both but am open to trade for the right piece.  Neither in my mind should go for anything less than a useful right fielder who might be blocked where he is.  Starting pitching is also a need.  Not much interest in future pieces anymore.  The future is now.

That is my sentiment, exactly

40 minutes ago, poppysox said:

With Vaughn and Collins in the fold, I'm ok with them moving Abreu if the value is there. I think it is ok to keep Colome. 

5 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

With Vaughn and Collins in the fold, I'm ok with them moving Abreu if the value is there. I think it is ok to keep Colome. 

I think you keep Colome. Finding a top closer is always a problem.  If you think 2020 looks like a year to contend for a wildcard I think you have to keep him. If 2021 is the year, then that may be too long and you cash in this year. 

I am not sure Abreu has a lot of value in the AL since it looks like the division leaders are opening up distance. The big race may be Tampa /Boston against anyone who gets hot.  If he has NL value as a !B then he may bring a decent prospect. 

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

I think you keep Colome. Finding a top closer is always a problem.  If you think 2020 looks like a year to contend for a wildcard I think you have to keep him. If 2021 is the year, then that may be too long and you cash in this year. 

I am not sure Abreu has a lot of value in the AL since it looks like the division leaders are opening up distance. The big race may be Tampa /Boston against anyone who gets hot.  If he has NL value as a !B then he may bring a decent prospect. 

Wild card??  I see no reason not to contend for the division next year.  Time to start playing for real.

8 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Abreu won't net you squat in a trade. Knowing the Sox, the majority of the trade value will be them not having to pay the remaining salary. 

• Like 2