McCann finalist for catcher for ASG

Real

2 hours ago, BFirebird said:

How does this exactly work?  Are all 3 in already, do they take the top 2 and we vote the starter from this?  I don’t get the format. 

The votes for the three finalists are reset - the one with the highest votes on Election Day is the starter; the other two are not guaranteed a roster spot.

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

In a fair and the real world, Sanchez’s numbers still top McCann’s.

Player A: 2.6 WAR .319/.380/.505 136 OPS+

Elite defensive catcher

Player B: 2.7 WAR .274/.340/.642 153 OPS+

Defensive prowess of a young Rosie O'Donnell

And just like that... the Yankee blinders were lifted! For I was blind, but now I can see! Let there be light!

Okay, but in all seriousness... 

No one would deny that Sanchez has been a little bit better offensively, but when you take into that McCann's defense is night & day at probably the most important defensive position on the field? There is a big time argument for McCann.

Edited by Richie
  • Haha 1

Lets get McCann on this All Star Team! He deserves it, he is a good person, and works his tail off.  He is a better hitter right now than Sanchez who is a strikeout machine and has a huge advantage in average over Chirinos.

Its not a long time frame to vote: Voting starts Wednesday at 11am CST and goes through 3pm CST on Thursday. Only 28 hours to vote. 

Im also voting for:

C:McCann, Grandal

1B:Santana, Bell

2B:LaStella, Marte

3B:Bregman, Arenado

SS:Polanco, Story

OF:Betts, Brantley, Trout..... Bellinger, Blackmon, Yelich

DH: JD Martinez

Edited by Chisox378

On 6/22/2019 at 6:37 PM, Richie said:

Player A: 2.6 WAR .319/.380/.505 136 OPS+

Elite defensive catcher

Player B: 2.7 WAR .274/.340/.642 153 OPS+

Defensive prowess of a young Rosie O'Donnell

And just like that... the Yankee blinders were lifted! For I was blind, but now I can see! Let there be light!

Okay, but in all seriousness... 

No one would deny that Sanchez has been a little bit better offensively, but when you take into that McCann's defense is night & day at probably the most important defensive position on the field? There is a big time argument for McCann.

Elite is a strong word

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Calling a difference of 88 points in OPS being “a little bit better offensively” is also a bit of an understatement.

If OPS was the lone metric to measure offensive output... You MIGHT have a point. However, no... 88 points in OPS is not in a different world, his AVG/OBP are superior and as of yesterday McCann has passed Sanchez in WAR.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mccanja02.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mccanja02.shtml

Edited by Richie

5 minutes ago, Richie said:

McCann is an elite pitch receiver, blocker and thrower from behind the plate. 

McCann is 2nd among active catchers in CS% at 37.1. He only trails Yadier Molina who sits at 40%

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/caught_stealing_perc_active.shtml

Are you making this up? BP has him at -3.7 Framing runs

Edited by mqr

47 minutes ago, mqr said:

Are you making this up? BP has him at -3.7 FRAA

Last I heard, pitch framing sabermetrics have been a subject of debate for a while. However, if I am wrong about that - I digress. I never watch a game and fall under the impression that McCann is anything but a solid pitch framer. I know his CS% is elite and that his defensive WAR is currently the equivalent to Austin Hedges defensive WAR.

Edited by Richie
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Richie said:

Last I heard, pitch framing sabermetrics have been a subject of debate for a while. However, if I am wrong about that - I digress. I never watch a game and fall under the impression that McCann is anything but a solid pitch framer. I know his CS% is elite and that his defensive WAR is currently the equivalent to Austin Hedges defensive WAR.

McCann was pretty awful framing for Giolito last game

McCann has for sure been one of the best catchers this year.  I wish we would reward him with an extension and remove any doubt about his long term future with us.  The ASG is a popularity contest and I don't think who gets to start has a thing to do with being best or not.