McCann finalist for catcher for ASG

Real

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

The Sox have 25 million on the books next year and Tim Anderson and Eloy for 2021.  They could have signed Harper, Manny, Cole, Wheeler, and any combination of RP and been fine.

Manny has also not dropped off significantly by any stretch.

Eloy - $2.3M, TA - $4M, Herrera - $8.5M, Abreu - $10M (?), Colome - $10M (?), McCann - $6M (?), Garcia - $4M (?), 18 players on league min or close to it - $11M

That’s $56M with 5 spots reserved for vets. Add in two frontline starting pitchers is another $40M, two high leverage relievers is another $20M, and one position player vet is another $5M. Altogether that’s $121M. Seems  like a reasonable payroll. Not sure jerry would be willing to push that to $150M with either Machado or Harper also included. Seems unlikely.

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

How much “power” did Dustin Pedroia have at age 22? How many prospects have Madrigal’s hit tool, like not just currently but in the last decade?

So your argument is that Machado, a guy who we all know is a star, isn’t worth $30 million a year.  However, we should all believe that Madrigal will develop power just because Dustin Pedroia did?  Wow.  Our opinion on Machado is based on factual statistics.  Yours is based on hope that Madrigal turns into Pedroia.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

13 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

You haven’t been paying attention then.  The guy has raised his OPS by 100 points in a matter of weeks.  He could easily be back up to .900+ OPS on a few more weeks.

And the Sox aren’t signing Cole so keep dreaming.  Who was the last pitcher the Sox signed for 6+ years and $140+ million?

And he could easily be below 800 by the end of the season too. He’s been hot lately, yes, but let’s see if it keeps up.

yes, I’d like for them to sign Cole but signing two solid starters like Bumgarner and Wheeler could be just as beneficial over the next few years. Bottom line, the offense looks good with the chance to be great with minimal additions. The starting pitching staff looks like a black hole at the moment.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

So your argument is that Machado, a guy who we all know is a star, isn’t worth $30 million a year.  However, we should all believe that Madrigal will develop power just because Dustin Pedroia did?  Wow.  Our opinion is based on factual stats.  Yours is based on hope that Madrigal turns into Pedroia.

Madrigal is 2018 Kinsler already with no significant increase in power. Upper 600s OPS with great defense and good baserunning. That’s a 2 WAR player as is. With a slight uptick in power he’s a 3-4 WAR guy. All while making league min for several years. After Cease, who has that type of upside as a starting pitcher in the coming years that’s currently in the Sox minor league system? It’s obvious the money needs to be spent on pitching. Not sure how you can’t see how that’s a more productive use of their financial resources over the next several years?

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Madrigal is 2018 Kinsler already with no significant increase in power. Upper 600s OPS with great defense and good baserunning. That’s a 2 WAR player as is. With a slight uptick in power he’s a 3-4 WAR guy. All while making league min for several years. After Cease, who has that type of upside as a starting pitcher in the coming years that’s currently in the Sox minor league system? It’s obvious the money needs to be spent on pitching. Not sure how you can’t see how that’s a more productive use of their financial resources over the next several years?

They have no real money comitted to anybody why don't you understand this?  They could have Machado and Cole/Wheeler/whoever else they want.

Machado is going to end the year close to 5 WAR again lol.  He is absolutely worth 30 mil.  

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The Sox could have had both Machado and Madrigal in their lineup so why are we comparing the two anyways?  Am I missing something?

How so? You don’t move Madrigal off 2b. Moncada has been very good at 3b and even with the errors I take TA over Manny defensively at SS. Again, $30 a year better spent on pitching upgrades. What’s your solution to address the pitching staff?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

They have no real money comitted to anybody why don't you understand this?  They could have Machado and Cole/Wheeler/whoever else they want.

Machado is going to end the year close to 5 WAR again lol.  He is absolutely worth 30 mil.  

I laid it out in a previous post. Do you think Jerry is willing to spend $140-150M next year?

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I laid it out in a previous post. Do you think Jerry is willing to spend $140-150M next year?

You have Jose Abreu, Colome, Herrera, and McCann factored in. The only one of those that might be here in 2 years is McCann.  They have no money on the books dude.  They have played with top 10 salary rosters fairly recently with shit teams.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

You have Jose Abreu, Colome, Herrera, and McCann factored in. The only one of those that might be hete in 2 years is McCann.  They have no money on the books dude.  They have played with top 10 salary rosters fairly recently with shit teams.

All four guys will be back next year most likely. Maybe they trade Colome before next season but I doubt it. My numbers were looking at 2020 payroll. Who knows where they will stand with payroll after that but if they’re not here then they need to be replaced, especially considering 3/4 have been very productive players since they’ve been in a Sox uniform. 

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Something no one will remember you said in 10 years or whatever it takes to prove you right or wrong.

You are right...in 10 years no one will remember which of us is right  about Moncada & Madrigal.  I have been one of Madrigals biggest supporters on this sight.  You tend to be Mr. negative about most things.  These are just opinions we have.  No one is right or wrong about anything we discuss. Just because you like to be more confrontational doesn't make you any more right in your opinions than anyone else.   JUST OPINIONS.🙂

How did a thread about McCann being a finalist for starting the all star game devolve into yet another thread about how the Sox missed out on Machado and Harper?

Back to topic: I think we all knew Sanchez would get the most votes, but it's still disappointing.  McCann should still make the all star game; he definitely deserves it.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

How so? You don’t move Madrigal off 2b. Moncada has been very good at 3b and even with the errors I take TA over Manny defensively at SS. Again, $30 a year better spent on pitching upgrades. What’s your solution to address the pitching staff?

Sign Machado and Moncada makes ASG at second base. Trade Madrigal in a package for high end pitcher on mediocre to bad team. Sign Bum or Stras. 

Machado, Anderson, Moncada. 

Top end starter from trade and Bum or Stras. 

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

You are right...in 10 years no one will remember which of us is right  about Moncada & Madrigal.  I have been one of Madrigals biggest supporters on this sight.  You tend to be Mr. negative about most things.  These are just opinions we have.  No one is right or wrong about anything we discuss. Just because you like to be more confrontational doesn't make you any more right in your opinions than anyone else.   JUST OPINIONS.🙂

I don't think many disagree that Madrigal will be awesome, it's just that we could have constructed a better roster by signing Manny and trading him for a front line starter. 

36 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

He very well should as he's been saving money and the team can compete next year. 140 million would put him at league average. 

Jerry's 83 years old and shows no signs of selling before his death.  I believe I read there are estate tax reasons which make it foolish to sell.  My point is it's foolish to think Jerry isn't a die hard fan just like any of us.  I believe he will spend the money as it's his last chance to build a lasting dynasty type team.

47 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't think many disagree that Madrigal will be awesome, it's just that we could have constructed a better roster by signing Manny and trading him for a front line starter. 

It's very difficult to build a winning roster when you give 20% of your resources to one player.  

19 minutes ago, poppysox said:

It's very difficult to build a winning roster when you give 20% of your resources to one player.  

Not when all of your good players are here the next 4 to 8 years on first contracts. If we were concerned about this problem, we could have front loaded his contract and gave him a 5th year opt out. The two benefits are if he is good or decides to opt in, his annual salary would be much lower when we need to pay other guys. If he opts out because the salary is lower the last 5 years, we don't have to pursue him. If he opts out and we want him, we can just offer a good bid.  We were set up where we could offer him a big deal and pay to get a quality pitcher as well. The rest of the roster would have just been fine tuning with guys looking to prove themselves. 

38 minutes ago, poppysox said:

The 2018 Boston Red Sox gave 22.86% of their payroll to Rusney Castillo, Hanley Ramirez, and Pablo Sandoval.