McCann finalist for catcher for ASG

Real

How to be popular with the voters 2019 edition.

Be on national TV regularly. 

Be on ESPN nightly

Be a name that has already played in multiple ASG

Have glitzy 20th century stats.

Be a player that serious fans will vote for. (This is the hardest path and what Sox players usually need.)

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 1:55 PM, Richie said:

If OPS was the lone metric to measure offensive output... You MIGHT have a point. However, no... 88 points in OPS is not in a different world, his AVG/OBP are superior and as of yesterday McCann has passed Sanchez in WAR.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mccanja02.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mccanja02.shtml

Quite frankly, this is a case where McCann would get in if he was the Yankees player and Sanchez was the White Sox player.

2.8 WAR for McCann so far this year? That’s 1 WAR per $1M spent and there’s still half a season to go. Hot damn, very impressive signing by Hahn. Makes up for misses on the other FA signings.

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Quite frankly, this is a case where McCann would get in if he was the Yankees player and Sanchez was the White Sox player.

2.8 WAR for McCann so far this year? That’s 1 WAR per $1M spent and there’s still half a season to go. Hot damn, very impressive signing by Hahn. Makes up for misses on the other FA signings.

Some of us have been encouraging a McCann extension for quite a while.  Others have taken the no rush approach.  Now we are going to see that it will get quite expensive to have waited. Oh well...not my money.

On 6/23/2019 at 11:59 AM, Moan4Yoan said:

You’re first mistake was thinking that defense matters much for picking Allstars.

Our first mistake was thinking that anything other than popularity matters for All Stars.  If it wasn't for the new format, McCann would have been the first loser in the race for playing in the all star game.

New format is better, but it still stinks that it's all left up to the fans.  I mean, shit, all three of the Cubs outfielders were selected to move on to the second round.  Moncada and Anderson weren't even close to advancing.

6 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I disagree.  It just makes me think what better players he could have spent the $40+ million on that he wasted.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

33 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I disagree.  It just makes me think what better players he could have spent the $40+ million on that he wasted.

Machado has been red hot of late and McCann is still 0.4 WAR higher than the $30M man so far this year. Harper at $25M has been even worse. 

10 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

McCann could still make it even if Sanchez does. The two teams are clearly going to carry more than one catcher. 

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yeah, dodged a bullet.

ACB2176-E-1204-42-D2-9-D26-653-CBB43-C43

Definitely don’t think that’s worth $30M. Besides, the Sox weren’t competing this year. Their contention window is 2021-2025/2026. How will Manny produce during those years? That’s what matters. Padres are in the same boat. They’re not going anywhere this year and probably not next year either. 

Sox shouldn’t be investing big long term dollars in position players. They need pitching and lots of it. That’s primarily where the money should be spent the next two offseason.

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Definitely don’t think that’s worth $30M. Besides, the Sox weren’t competing this year. Their contention window is 2021-2025/2026. How will Manny produce during those years? That’s what matters. Padres are in the same boat. They’re not going anywhere this year and probably not next year either. 

Sox shouldn’t be investing big long term dollars in position players. They need pitching and lots of it. That’s primarily where the money should be spent the next two offseason.

That's 35+ HR and 100+ RBI with GG caliber 3B defense.  He is definitely worth that.

Then you have Yo at 2b and don't have to see putrid Rondon ever again.  

Edited by BackDoorBreach

33 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Well the Sox gave 13 million to Alonso and Jay for essentially nothing, so I'd say they are. 

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I think you are shooting the window of contention too far into the future.  The Sox could compete as soon as next season with a few free agent signings (2 SP, RF, and relief) and Machado will still be in his prime at 27.

You and a few other posters ridiculously jumped the gun and talked a lot of smack when Machado was struggling early in the season but he’s a premier talent and it should have been obvious to everyone that he would turn it around sooner or later.

Now you change the narrative to: he won’t be good within the Sox contention window.  Absolutely ridiculous.  Nice to see BackDoorBreach and SonofaRoache call you out on your ludicrous post as well.  Please don’t forget that Hahn pretty much wasted $40+ million this past offseason.

God forbid we might have had this amazing Yankees-esque future lineup:

RF  Robert

2B  Moncada

3B  Machado

LF  Eloy

1B  Vaughn

DH  Abreu

SS  Anderson

C  McCann

CF  Madrigal

Edited by Moan4Yoan

On 6/25/2019 at 9:34 AM, Texsox said:

How to be popular with the voters 2019 edition.

Be on national TV regularly. 

Be on ESPN nightly

Be a name that has already played in multiple ASG

Have glitzy 20th century stats.

Be a player that serious fans will vote for. (This is the hardest path and what Sox players usually need.)

The All-Star farce is and has been nothing but a popularity contest for decades now, I basically stopped watching it in the mid-80's when it was clear fans had no idea what they were doing and were being allowed to vote multiple times. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I think you are shooting the window of contention too far into the future.  The Sox could compete as soon as next season with a few free agent signings (2 SP, RF, and relief) and Machado will still be in his prime at 27.

You and a few other posters ridiculously jumped the gun and talked a lot of smack when Machado was struggling early in the season but he’s a premier talent and it should have been obvious to everyone that he would turn it around sooner or later.

Now you change the narrative to: he won’t be good within the Sox contention window.  Absolutely ridiculous.  Nice to see BackDoorBreach and SonofaRoache call you out on your ludicrous post as well.  Please don’t forget that Hahn pretty much wasted $40+ million this past offseason.

God forbid we might have had this amazing Yankees-esque future lineup:

RF  Robert

2B  Moncada

3B  Machado

LF  Eloy

1B  Vaughn

DH  Abreu

SS  Anderson

C  McCann

CF  Madrigal

I’ve been consistent on Machado from day one. I’ve said his performance will drop off significantly this year from last year (which it has) and that a few years from now his contract will be an albatross (TBD). Why spend $300M on a position where the Sox actually have some solid depth while they have just one viable starting pitcher? You can have a great offense but you aren’t going anywhere in October without pitching. That’s where the resources need to be spent and I’d much prefer Cole+Wheeler or similar combination over one Manny Machado.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Well the Sox gave 13 million to Alonso and Jay for essentially nothing, so I'd say they are. 

They spent a whopping $26M between their three “big” free agent signings last winter - Jay, Herrera, McCann. That group has produced 2.4 bWAR this year (same as Machado) at a cost of $15M this year. BUT it allows the organization to allocate their resources where help is really needed in the coming years (pitching, pitching, pitching) since these are not long term commitments.

2 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

That's 35+ HR and 100+ RBI with GG caliber 3B defense.  He is definitely worth that.

Then you have Yo at 2b and don't have to see putrid Rondon ever again.  

Madrigal is the starting 2b next year playing on league min salary. The infield is covered for the foreseeable future. Use the $$$ for pitching. Need at least two starters and another reliever or two.

I’ve been consistent on Machado from day one. I’ve said his performance will drop off significantly this year from last year (which it has) and that a few years from now his contract will be an albatross (TBD). Why spend $300M on a position where the Sox actually have some solid depth while they have just one viable starting pitcher? You can have a great offense but you aren’t going anywhere in October without pitching. That’s where the resources need to be spent and I’d much prefer Cole+Wheeler or similar combination over one Manny Machado.

The Sox have 25 million on the books next year and Tim Anderson and Eloy for 2021.  They could have signed Harper, Manny, Cole, Wheeler, and any combination of RP and been fine.

Manny has also not dropped off significantly by any stretch.

You haven’t been paying attention then.  The guy has raised his OPS by 100 points in a matter of weeks.  He could easily be back up to .900+ OPS on a few more weeks.

And the Sox aren’t signing Cole so keep dreaming.  Who was the last pitcher the Sox signed for 6+ years and $140+ million?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Madrigal is the starting 2b next year playing on league min salary. The infield is covered for the foreseeable future. Use the $$$ for pitching. Need at least two starters and another reliever or two.

Nick Madrigal is a prospect with no power.  Manny Machado is an All Star and GG fielder.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

They spent a whopping $26M between their three “big” free agent signings last winter - Jay, Herrera, McCann. That group has produced 2.4 bWAR this year (same as Machado) at a cost of $15M this year. BUT it allows the organization to allocate their resources where help is really needed in the coming years (pitching, pitching, pitching) since these are not long term commitments.

Why would you not include Nova and Alonso?  Free agent acquisitions or trades — what’s the difference?  That right there tells me you are intentionally being biased to defend Hahn.

Herrera:  2-years / $18 million

Nova:  $9 million

Alonso:  $9 million

Jay:  $4 million

Santana:  whatever $$$ was wasted on him for 3 starts

Thats $40+ million in bad guaranteed money spent in one offseason.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Nick Madrigal is a prospect with no power.  Manny Machado is an All Star and GG fielder.

Hilarious how he doesn’t seem to understand this.

Who would you rather have — Machado and Madrigal in our lineup versus Madrigal and whatever RF the Sox sign?

• Like 1