Sox sign Hector Santiago

Moan4Yoan

38 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I’m inclined to wait on Cease,  Robert, and Madrigal until after service time flips next year. I would much rather have them as mature pieces of a competitive 2026 than as learning on the job in 2019.

Madrigal and Robert are not on the 40 man so that matters also unless they are really ready.  You would possibly lose someone in the Dec draft you might want to keep.

3 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Madrigal and Robert are not on the 40 man so that matters also unless they are really ready.  You would possibly lose someone in the Dec draft you might want to keep.

Eh there's plenty of dead wood to cut off.  Jimmy Cordero, Yonder, Cordell, almost another half dozen relievers.  Engel (you'd probably pick one of Cordell and Enge to cut).

Sox will have a 40 man crunch when they are good again.  They aren't quite there yet.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Eh there's plenty of dead wood to cut off.  Jimmy Cordero, Yonder, Cordell, almost another half dozen relievers.  Engel (you'd probably pick one of Cordell and Enge to cut).

Sox will have a 40 man crunch when they are good again.  They aren't quite there yet.

I am not ready to take my annual dive into it but yes I count about ten that can be removed with minimal pain.  But there are more you have to add usually than this.  

3 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I’m inclined to wait on Cease,  Robert, and Madrigal until after service time flips next year. I would much rather have them as mature pieces of a competitive 2026 than as learning on the job in 2019.

I think you have to throw service time concerns out the window when it comes to pitchers. They’re so fragile. I think you have to almost treat like NFL teams treat running backs. Get what you can out of their arms and move on. 

34 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I think you have to throw service time concerns out the window when it comes to pitchers. They’re so fragile. I think you have to almost treat like NFL teams treat running backs. Get what you can out of their arms and move on. 

I don’t think, in this case, you should. Giolito was a highly touted prospect, struggled, and now is apparently ace caliber. Cease has shown flashes of dominance, and if you have the type of pitcher that gives you 4-6 good to great years, we should absolutely bring him up 8 months later when there is no pressing need

5 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I know where you're coming from.  Extensions could solve those problems I would think.

11 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I don’t think, in this case, you should. Giolito was a highly touted prospect, struggled, and now is apparently ace caliber. Cease has shown flashes of dominance, and if you have the type of pitcher that gives you 4-6 good to great years, we should absolutely bring him up 8 months later when there is no pressing need

I disagree. Arms and elbows have a certain number of bullets in them before they’re done for good. I want as many as those bullets spent in the majors as possible. 

A good example of this is Zack Burdi. A lot of people said that he could pitch in the majors right after being drafted as a reliever. Maybe the Sox were wrong not to rush his development. He’s not a starter who needed a third pitch or something. 

In 10 years time or so, Odaris Despaigne will be the answer to a query on Soxtalk "hey remember that starting pitcher who never really warmed up before games and sucked?". That is the next time I'd like to hear about him please.  Just release his sorry butt and bring up Santiago.  

16 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Almost all of our best development recently has been in the majors so I think you are just putting off the inevitable by waiting.

This signing is an indication of several things. First, it obvious. Starting pitching is thin. Secondly, the Sox will need to address this problem in the off-season in some manner. And this team is still at least one more year away from being a serious contender.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I disagree. Arms and elbows have a certain number of bullets in them before they’re done for good. I want as many as those bullets spent in the majors as possible. 

A good example of this is Zack Burdi. A lot of people said that he could pitch in the majors right after being drafted as a reliever. Maybe the Sox were wrong not to rush his development. He’s not a starter who needed a third pitch or something. 

What if those “bullets” include the kind of outings we are seeing from underdeveloped or lesser talent in the rotation?

I think the recent scary run of injuries tends to overshadow that most pitchers don’t go down like that necessarily, historically. I guess the ball is different now, though. 

3 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

What if those “bullets” include the kind of outings we are seeing from underdeveloped or lesser talent in the rotation?

I think the recent scary run of injuries tends to overshadow that most pitchers don’t go down like that necessarily, historically. I guess the ball is different now, though. 

Manfred just admitted to that fact:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/are-baseballs-juiced-mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-says-centering-of-the-pill-is-partially-causing-home-run-spike/

Santiago had a 4.50 era last season in over 100 innings pitched.  Not bad considering our pitching situation this season if Santiago can repeat. But first give Detwiller a chance,he has earned it.  Not sure if they are going to give Fulmer a shot either.

15 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I still want as many of those bullets spent in the majors as possible.