RF options are bleak...any other ideas?

Greg Hibbard

After giving extended looks to Cordell and Tilson, it appears neither is particularly Major League Caliber. Cordell fell off to .220 BA and .611 OPS in May, and is having a Palka-like June with zero power and a .214 OPS. Tilson had a decent May, but has fallen off the last few games.

Do we give these two more time? Option one for Palka? Think about calling anyone else up? Could Robert be here in September?? What's the best thing to do here?

Cordell should be sent down. I think Tilson deserves a bit longer look.  Jay coming up is kind of a drag because I'd like to see Palka get another shot before next year.  

I don't think we see Robert this year, if we do maybe the last couple weeks of the season if he just rakes.

5 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I forgot about Jon Jay: The Phantom Menace

Like the movie, he's definitely the worst and there's no plot or hero worth rooting for

Who is Jar Jar Binks in this scenario...Alonso?

Jay is most certainly going to take the RF at bats once he comes up, until he is likely traded for the ultimate lottery ticket in late July.  

I don't really see how Tilson and Jay coexist on the roster, so I think Tilson is the one to get demoted.  If Jay plays RF against RHP, when exactly is Tilson going to play?  

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Jay is most certainly going to take the RF at bats once he comes up, until he is likely traded for the ultimate lottery ticket in late July.  

I don't really see how Tilson and Jay coexist on the roster, so I think Tilson is the one to get demoted.  If Jay plays RF against RHP, when exactly is Tilson going to play?  

Jay is solid against lefties so a platoon of Tilson against righties and Jay against lefties works.

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Jay is solid against lefties so a platoon of Tilson against righties and Jay against lefties works.

Meh.  Jay's lifetime OPS+ against RHP is 103, 91 against LHP. He has hit .280 against LHP in his career and definitely takes his walks, so he is definitely solid against LHP, but I don't see the Sox reverse platooning him - that would be bizarre.  I suspect he'll be in RF most days regardless once he arrives.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Meh.  Jay's lifetime OPS+ against RHP is 103, 91 against LHP. He has hit .280 against LHP in his career and definitely takes his walks, so he is definitely solid against LHP, but I don't see the Sox reverse platooning him - that would be bizarre.  I suspect he'll be in RF most days regardless once he arrives.  

I don't believe they would either. Just pointing it out. Unfortunately, Jay seems to be the best option for RF right now since people are souring on Tilson and Cordell. Which is bizarre because this is what people have been wanting.

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I don't believe they would either. Just pointing it out. Unfortunately, Jay seems to be the best option for RF right now since people are souring on Tilson and Cordell. Which is bizarre because this is what people have been wanting.

Why is it bizarre? Tilson and Cordell were the right move at the time, but are what we thought they were. Neither were particularly highly touted and both are looking like replacement pieces. I've liked the contributions from both, but after the initial burst, pitchers made the adjustment. It's time to see what else we might have.

1 hour ago, Hatchetman said:

This situation is mind-numbing. How hard is it to find a replacement level RF'er?

Very hard apparently for the Sox who went years and couldn't find a center fielder. Bad minor league system will do that to you.

You just play the hand you've got the rest of this year and maybe get a power hitting outfielder in the off season via trade or free agency although I think the Sox have to concentrate on pitching first.

51 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Conforto is 26 years old and a stud. Would have to give up a boatload to get him. Love him as a player, but really don’t see Hahn doing it. 

Would something like Madrigal, Dunning, and a lotto ticket be enough for Conforto? 

Sox could sign a guy like Schoop or Gennet to play second. 

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Why is it bizarre? Tilson and Cordell were the right move at the time, but are what we thought they were. Neither were particularly highly touted and both are looking like replacement pieces. I've liked the contributions from both, but after the initial burst, pitchers made the adjustment. It's time to see what else we might have.

This is kind of the problem. There is no one else. And you would like to give the player more of a sample size to see if they can adjust back.