RF options are bleak...any other ideas?

Greg Hibbard

Renfroe, Hunter...2.2 fwar...overpay based on current numbers, limited defensive upside...acquisition cost?

Ozuna, Marcell...1.7 fwar...transition to AL...inconsistent...will have draft pick attached, possibly...younger/athletic/still has upside 

Shin Soo-Choo...1.5 fwar...experienced in division and AL but how much left in the tank?

Avi Garcia...1.4 fwar...thousands of posts in the last half decade already exhausted in terms of commentary

Mitch Haniger...1.2 fwar...finally experiencing what by his recent standards is a down season, buy low but still costly compared to Do.Santana

Jorge Soler...1.0 fwar

Franmil Reyes...0.9 fwar...younger version of Renfroe, also limited defensively which would be hard to swallow with Jimenez on other corner

Or put all the eggs in Mookie Betts basket, meaning affording more than one quality/veteran pitcher would be a stretch.

Others to consider are Markakis, Castellanos, Puig, Domingo Santana...

Also not sure who other teams would actually desire in trade beyond the five obvious names...who would even be next on the list with decent trade value we would actually be willing to part with?  

Even Collins seems like he might have to be part of the future in some way, shape or form (platoon, backup catcher, DH, 1B, PH.)

And Lambert’s not worth much, along with our other four minor league outfielders.   Who do we have left?

Edited by caulfield12

Pretty bleak around the league too. We don't really have the trade chit to get anyone good, right now at least.

Kole Calhoun has bounced back from a miserable season to a tolerable one. The Angels have an option for 2020 but they also need a spot for Jo Adell. So, he may be available and reasonable, but not until after the season. Probably no draft picks here.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Renfroe, Hunter...2.2 fwar...overpay based on current numbers, limited defensive upside...acquisition cost?

Ozuna, Marcell...1.7 fwar...transition to AL...inconsistent...will have draft pick attached, possibly...younger/athletic/still has upside 

Shin Soo-Choo...1.5 fwar...experienced in division and AL but how much left in the tank?

Avi Garcia...1.4 fwar...thousands of posts in the last half decade already exhausted in terms of commentary

Mitch Haniger...1.2 fwar...finally experiencing what by his recent standards is a down season, buy low but still costly compared to Do.Santana

Jorge Soler...1.0 fwar

Franmil Reyes...0.9 fwar...younger version of Renfroe, also limited defensively which would be hard to swallow with Jimenez on other corner

Or put all the eggs in Mookie Betts basket, meaning affording more than one quality/veteran pitcher would be a stretch.

Others to consider are Markakis, Castellanos, Puig, Domingo Santana...

Also not sure who other teams would actually desire in trade beyond the five obvious names...who would even be next on the list with decent trade value we would actually be willing to part with?  

Even Collins seems like he might have to be part of the future in some way, shape or form (platoon, backup catcher, DH, 1B, PH.)

And Lambert’s not worth much, along with our other four minor league outfielders.   Who do we have left?

Welcome back!  Dropping a cool 13 like it’s nothing 😎.  What about Yelich after their window slams shut this season?

• Haha 2

On 6/19/2019 at 4:05 PM, soxfan2014 said:

I don't believe they would either. Just pointing it out. Unfortunately, Jay seems to be the best option for RF right now since people are souring on Tilson and Cordell. Which is bizarre because this is what people have been wanting.

Jay is a decent player and has kind of gotten a bad rap with the off season crap.  He is a reliable though not exciting player.  Once called up he will get the majority of playing time.  We paid for him...might as well use him until we find that long term right fielder.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Jay is a decent player and has kind of gotten a bad rap with the off season crap.  He is a reliable though not exciting player.  Once called up he will get the majority of playing time.  We paid for him...might as well use him until we find that long term right fielder.

Sticking with Avi and negotiating with him throughout this season would have been the better move in hindsight, unless we’re going to throw bundles eventually at Betts and/or lesser money at Ozuna.

A year ago, Castellanos was one of the most popular choices.  Now that would seem like treading water...

We also don’t have another two years to wait on Steele Walker, unfortunately.  They should be positioning for at least staying in the thick of the wild card race next year...we can argue that they’re at least sort of in the conversation currently, but that’s still unrealistic without Lopez returning to his 2019 form.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sticking with Avi and negotiating with him throughout this season would have been the better move in hindsight, unless we’re going to throw bundles eventually at Betts and/or lesser money at Ozuna.

A year ago, Castellanos was one of the most popular choices.  Now that would seem like treading water...

We also don’t have another two years to wait on Steele Walker, unfortunately.  They should be positioning for at least staying in the thick of the wild card race next year...we can argue that they’re at least sort of in the conversation currently, but that’s still unrealistic without Lopez returning to his 2019 form.

In hindsight sticking with Avi would have been just to simple.  

3 hours ago, daggins said:

I don't think we have enough bullets to get Merrifield or Conforto, let alone one of the best players in baseball. I mean, unless you're willing to trade Cease and Madrigal/Robert.

Those trade aren't happening.

4 hours ago, Timmy U said:

In another thread I suggested Gregory Polanco

I've also suggested Scooter Gennett as a free agent. Lefty with pop primarily a 2nd baseman but has played the OF . If Madrigal continues playing well do some scouting and see how good Gennett plays the OF . If Madrigal falls off we have a very good 2nd baseman.

4 hours ago, daggins said:

Pretty bleak around the league too. We don't really have the trade chit to get anyone good, right now at least.

Kole Calhoun has bounced back from a miserable season to a tolerable one. The Angels have an option for 2020 but they also need a spot for Jo Adell. So, he may be available and reasonable, but not until after the season. Probably no draft picks here.

Yeah that option is for $14 mill. And they have Goodwin who can get at bats until Adell is ready. I wouldn't mind Kalhoun for RF and hitting towards the end of the lineup (7 or 8).

Polanco is an interesting idea but he hasn’t really had much of a history of success.  But he does have youth on his side, turning 28 in September, and a nice contract with two team options if he does pan out.

19:  $5.5M

20:  $8M

21:  $11M

22:  $12.5M club option ($3M buyout)

23:  $13.5M club option ($1M buyout)

Edited by Moan4Yoan

32 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Polanco is an interesting idea but he hasn’t really had much of a history of success.  But he does have youth on his side, turning 28 in September, and a nice contract with two team options if he does pan out.

19:  $5.5M

20:  $8M

21:  $11M

22:  $12.5M club option ($3M buyout)

23:  $13.5M club option ($1M buyout)

For three of his five years, he has been a pretty consistent 2-2.5 contributor.   Is that enough, though, compared to the relative certainty of an Ozuna or even his teammate Marte?

0.6 two years ago and -0.1 this year.

(Of course, just out of curiosity...looked it up and Eloy’s still only at 0.3 despite his recent offensive surge and might never be more than a 2-3 fwar contributor due to his defensive shortcomings in the outfield.  So it’s quite easy to get bogged down in fwar and bwar, yet they’re not going to accurately capture Jimenez or Madrigal in terms of their overall value to the lineup.)

At least Polanco has some physical tools and a strong arm.  But then is he really a better bet than Avi?

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m guessing the Dodgers aren’t going to trade a young cheap CF who is hitting well.

The rap on him has always been somewhat limited power...but how much do they value his relative cheapness compared to extending Joc Pederson, for example?

He’s the type of player who might never get regular playing time on such a deep team but definitely would with the Sox.

But who the heck would they actually want back in trade?

I think Steele Walker is the future there.  I hate that the Sox overpaid Jay to use him as a pawn in an awful and stupid game but Jay is probably the best internal option.  Would would it take for the Reds to ship over Puig?  He is starting to heat up.

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

I think Steele Walker is the future there.  I hate that the Sox overpaid Jay to use him as a pawn in an awful and stupid game but Jay is probably the best internal option.  Would would it take for the Reds to ship over Puig?  He is starting to heat up.

Steele needs to develop some power first.

Puig is a FA after this season.  No reason to trade for him now.

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Steele needs to develop some power first.

Puig is a FA after this season.  No reason to trade for him now.

I know he's a free agent coming up.  I thought we were looking for someone for the rest of this year but I would only want him if the Reds did not want much in return.  That is probably not going to happen since he is starting to hit.

16 minutes ago, wegner said:

Reds are trying to contend. Doubt they trade Puig.