Have the White Sox ever started worse pitchers?

vilehoopster

This is a question for old-time White Sox fans since I am pretty new to being a White Sox fanatic. 

So, here's my question: In your memory, have the White Sox EVER started two such horrible pitchers  in the same season as Ervin Santana and Despaigne? 

I have to believe the anwer is no. 

Now I know the Sox have started some pretty bad pitchers the last few years and especially lately, but these to were so clearly and obviously incompetent and not major-league ready. And with both pitchers this was obvious after a couple innings of their first starts. I am assuming that Despaingne will be receiving the the Santana response from the front office in a day or two. 

So back to the question, can you think of a season where the White Sox started two pitchers of this poor quality in the same season?

3 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

This is a question for old-time White Sox fans since I am pretty new to being a White Sox fanatic. 

So, here's my question: In your memory, have the White Sox EVER started two such horrible pitchers  in the same season as Ervin Santana and Despaigne? 

I have to believe the anwer is no. 

Now I know the Sox have started some pretty bad pitchers the last few years and especially lately, but these to were so clearly and obviously incompetent and not major-league ready. And with both pitchers this was obvious after a couple innings of their first starts. I am assuming that Despaingne will be receiving the the Santana response from the front office in a day or two. 

So back to the question, can you think of a season where the White Sox started two pitchers of this poor quality in the same season?

Todd Ritchie, Dan Wright, Gary Glover in 2002; Phil Humber, Liriano, Danks, Peavy in 2012.

Edited by greg775

I don't remember those guys from 2002, but I remember the names you mentioned for 2012. And I don't think any of those guys had ERAs of 9.75 (Santana) and 9.45 (Despaigne in a small sample with a guy getting thrown out at home and another one thrown out at 3rd). I somewhat remember Peavy and Humber being bad (about like Lopez and some of our other guys are now) but nothing like those two. 

46 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Todd Ritchie, Dan Wright, Gary Glover in 2002; Phil Humber, Liriano, Danks, Peavy in 2012.

Dear lord yes. Buehrle and Garland saved that rotation (similar to Giolito all by himself but even better numbers) but those guys were so, so bad. Then you had guys like Parque and Jon freaking Rauch who couldn't even last 10 starts cause they were embarrassingly bad.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Dear lord yes. Buehrle and Garland saved that rotation (similar to Giolito all by himself but even better numbers) but those guys were so, so bad. Then you had guys like Parque and Jon freaking Rauch who couldn't even last 10 starts cause they were embarrassingly bad.

In the Reinsdorf-Kenny-Hahn era ?

Oh absolutely there have been equally as worse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

The 2013 team, a team that lost 99 games, had a better starting rotation than this year's team. Let that sink in for a minute.

That’s not THAT insane. That team just couldn’t hit. Only the three OF hit the .700 OPS mark and none hit the .800 mark.

38 minutes ago, oldsox said:

None of you youngsters can relate to the St. Louis Browns of late 40's, early 50's.

There are tons of non-youngsters who don’t relate to the 1940s, buddy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

None of you youngsters can relate to the St. Louis Browns of late 40's, early 50's.

Which has nothing to do with the White Sox.

Who by the way had pretty awful starting pitching in the late 60's / 1970. The best guys they had like Peters and Horlen, successful major league pitchers who were all-stars were usually hurting.

This staff is not for want of trying.  Well in the loose sense of trying - they did something.

Rick Hahn traded for Nova and Baneulos.  He signed Santana.  This staff is a product of Hahn and his team's eye for veteran talent.

It's as bad as 2016 signings, but that team of course had Sale and Quintana.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

I was looking up Jaime Navarro, who was so awful especially for the contract he signed and I had totally forgotten that the Sox actually traded him for Cal Aldred and Jose Valentin!!  How did they get anything for him let alone 2 guys who actually played well for the Sox especially Jose?

Edited by wegner

55 minutes ago, wegner said:

I was looking up Jaime Navarro, who was so awful especially for the contract he signed and I had totally forgotten that the Sox actually traded him for Cal Aldred and Jose Valentin!!  How did they get anything for him let alone 2 guys who actually played well for the Sox especially Jose?

The other side to the Navarro story was that then GM Ron Schueler came right out and claimed that Sox pitcher Kevin Tapani (a quality starter who had a good 96 for the team) was 'faking' a finger injury and that was the reason he wasn't interested in resigning him. 

The Cubs did sign him...and he had to sit out the first half of the year because of the "fake" injury. He came back to pitch and was OK, not great but certainly better than Navarro who was signed by Schueler to take his place in the rotation. 

8 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The other side to the Navarro story was that then GM Ron Schueler came right out and claimed that Sox pitcher Kevin Tapani (a quality starter who had a good 96 for the team) was 'faking' a finger injury and that was the reason he wasn't interested in resigning him. 

The Cubs did sign him...and he had to sit out the first half of the year because of the "fake" injury. He came back to pitch and was OK, not great but certainly better than Navarro who was signed by Schueler to take his place in the rotation. 

Great rest of the story 👍

Thanks Lip 

Parque was absolute toast after the injuries (Mike Cameron game was a highlight), Wright after injuries, James Baldwin really fell off too....Rauch lasted just a handful of starts and really just never got along with KW and was quickly sent packing.

Glover really wasn’t THAT bad, actually.

But 2003 versions of Wright, Josh Stewart, Porzio and Cotts would have fit in 100% this year.

They key difference is the latter three only had TWELVE starts combined, and Cotts at least had the talent to be a key relief contributor in 2005.

Can we say the same for any of this year’s starters?...maybe Covey is the only one who could potentially be on a White Sox playoff team in the future.

19 hours ago, greg775 said:

In 2012 Peavy had a 3.37 ERA, 3.73 FIP, 3.99 xFIP across 219 IP. Accumulated 5.0 rWAR, 4.4 fWAR and made the All Star team. I don't think he really fits here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Parque was absolute toast after the injuries (Mike Cameron game was a highlight), Wright after injuries, James Baldwin really fell off too....Rauch lasted just a handful of starts and really just never got along with KW and was quickly sent packing.

Glover really wasn’t THAT bad, actually.

But 2003 versions of Wright, Josh Stewart, Porzio and Cotts would have fit in 100% this year.

They key difference is the latter three only had TWELVE starts combined, and Cotts at least had the talent to be a key relief contributor in 2005.

Can we say the same for any of this year’s starters?...maybe Covey is the only one who could potentially be on a White Sox playoff team in the future.

I always wonder what Rauch could have been if not for the labrum injury.  He also had that game where he left the park or something early as well. Labrum's were a thing of that era as I think both Parque and Rauch suffered those injuries, plus didn't the Big Hurt tear his labrum as well.  

13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I always wonder what Rauch could have been if not for the labrum injury.  He also had that game where he left the park or something early as well. Labrum's were a thing of that era as I think both Parque and Rauch suffered those injuries, plus didn't the Big Hurt tear his labrum as well.  

After he got shelled in a game Kenny discovered that he showered and left the park instead of sticking around. He was furious at him and that eventually led to him being released if I remember correctly soon afterwards.