6/25 Games

soxfan49

5 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Ok so Hansen..

DP, GO, single, single, walk, DP. 

I got to watch the Barons tonight via stream. First time I've watched Hansen. The first batter he faced he piped in two fastballs for strikes, the second one getting an inning-ending double play (he entered in the middle of the inning after Battenfield was taken out). Man, those were eye-popping. Then it started to fall off the rails. The two singles were actually a little cheap. A bloop and a roller that found a hole. No one was hitting anything hard. That's partially due to his stuff being too good for these guys and his command being so all over the place that no one has any clue where the ball is gonna be. His offspeed pitch has great movement, but he buried so many in the dirt.

I wouldn't call it Ankiel levels of bad, but it was tough to watch because the stuff was so obviously there. For that reason alone, I wouldn't want to bail on him any time soon. I also probably wouldn't bet on him turning into an MLB starter liked we hoped after 2017.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, danman31 said:

I got to watch the Barons tonight via stream. First time I've watched Hansen. The first batter he faced he piped in two fastballs for strikes, the second one getting an inning-ending double play (he entered in the middle of the inning after Battenfield was taken out). Man, those were eye-popping. Then it started to fall off the rails. The two singles were actually a little cheap. A bloop and a roller that found a hole. No one was hitting anything hard. That's partially due to his stuff being too good for these guys and his command being so all over the place that no one has any clue where the ball is gonna be. His offspeed pitch has great movement, but he buried so many in the dirt.

I wouldn't call it Ankiel levels of bad, but it was tough to watch because the stuff was so obviously there. For that reason alone, I wouldn't want to bail on him any time soon. I also probably wouldn't bet on him turning into an MLB starter liked we hoped after 2017.

Hey if you haven't read the mvp machine I'd really recommend it, it has a few stories on fixing the yips for players. 

59 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Walker will probably pass up several others in our mid year rankings.

He's one of the only prospects outside of Madrigal/Robert that hasnt either A) got hurt B) struggled (in aggregate) C) graduated. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raBBit said:

He's one of the only prospects outside of Madrigal/Robert that hasnt either A) got hurt B) struggled (in aggregate) C) graduated. 

This is undeniably true, but look at what Luis Gonzalez did last year in W-S: .313/.376/.504, 9.4 BB%, 16 K%

Walker: .268/.347/.436, 10.8 BB%, 16.2 K%

They both joined W-S after midseason promotions in their first full seasons of pro ball and were 22. I definitely have Walker above Gonzalez right now, but I'm a bit scarred by W-S performance after seeing everyone fall on their face in AA this year.

• Like 1

Yeah that's fair. The figurative roadblock everyone not named Madrigal/Robert have hit at AA is pretty scary. Even so, if Walker has Gonzalez's BABIP in A+ he has a better slash than Gonzalez did. Walker still not even above .300 BABIP with recent run.

In that same vein, I don't want any of our pitching prospects to go to Charlotte. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Yeah that's fair. The figurative roadblock everyone not named Madrigal/Robert have hit at AA is pretty scary. Even so, if Walker has Gonzalez's BABIP in A+ he has a better slash than Gonzalez did. Walker still not even above .300 BABIP with recent run.

In that same vein, I don't want any of our pitching prospects to go to Charlotte. 

I don’t think that roadblock, specifically for Rutherford and Gonzalez, is as bad as some people are making it seem. This isn’t directed at you, but it seems as if some people have completely written them off as prospects. If I were using the 5 tier system that @Chicago White Sox used for evaluating their years so far, I would put both those guys in tier 4. 

• Like 1