International Scouting Philosophy of Marco Paddy

I thought I would mention some of the highlights of the scouting philosophy of Marco Paddy when it comes to young players because it will give some insights into how the Sox roll when it comes to International Signings.  Please see an excellent 2016 Future Sox interview for further details:  http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/2016/09/exclusive-interview-director-of-international-scouting-marco-paddy/

In short, Macro has said that they will make exceptions and go after more expensive "upper tier" players (i.e. Robert, Adolfo), especially if they are older, but they will more consistently take the greater quantity of "second tier" players (i.e. Fernando Tatis Jr.) because the odds are better if you take a quantity of quality players when you are dealing with 16 year of age prospects.  And Tatis Jr. was exactly the kind of player he had in mind when talking about "second tier at age 16" type of players.

"We don’t think that’s the best way to go. There are very few players in that upper tier but there are quite a few players in that second tier who can be developed into what you’re looking for. I mean, when you’re talking about 15 and 16 year old kids, it’s so hard to determine exactly how their career is going to evolve. I think it makes perfect sense for us to operate the way we do. "  -- Marco Paddy

In the last 2 non-penalty signing periods, the Sox signed the following ($300K plus) players.  All but Luis Robert were a 2nd tier signing:

Luis Robert, Josue Guerrero, Luis Mieses, Anderson Comes, Jenderson Caraballo, Lenya Sosa, Franklin Reyes, Fernando Tatis Jr. Santo Vasquez, Haruin Mendoza. (Some spellings may be off.)

The philosophy might be stated that you need 3 or 4 Tier 1 signings to get one above average player, and 4 or 5 Tier 2 signings to get one above average player.   Will history be kind to Paddy in these 2 particular years? 

Some might say that hitting on Luis Robert and Fernando Tatis Jr. already makes this 2-year period a success for Paddy.  This will be the 1st International signing period for Paddy since these 2 years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thomas_Ventura_Roberts said:

In the last 2 non-penalty signing periods, the Sox signed the following ($300K plus) players.  All but Luis Robert were a 2nd tier signing:

Luis Robert, Josue Guerrero, Luis Mieses, Anderson Comes, Jenderson Caraballo, Lenya Sosa, Franklin Reyes, Fernando Tatis Jr. Santo Vasquez, Haruin Mendoza. (Some spellings may be off.)

The philosophy might be stated that you need 3 or 4 Tier 1 signings to get one above average player, and 4 or 5 Tier 2 signings to get one above average player.   Will history be kind to Paddy in these 2 particular years? 

Some might say that hitting on Luis Robert and Fernando Tatis Jr. already makes this 2-year period a success for Paddy.  This will be the 1st International signing period for Paddy since these 2 years.

This is true, and frankly I'm not sure how to square the idea of frustration that we haven't gotten enough out of our international pipeline while also it is impressive to have generated two top ten prospects out of it (Tatis Jr, Robert).

But part of my issue is I just don't think it functions that well outside of older Cuban talent. Theoretically the sox will give credit to this group for Abreu, Tatis, and Robert. We, unfortunately, feel very little benefit to having had tatis.

And we do benefit from Robert and Abreu, but that is a pipeline nearly dried up (older, cuban professional players). And the best successes to date we've had from the traditional market (which again, is probably not fair to exclude Tatis from) is Adolfo, who was a premier signing.

I'd say our best work has been when we've tackled the top of the market, but you could also say the sox have only done so when paddy has provided a high recommendation. 

But why I say they do one thing and say another is that they really missed out in getting a monster signee class that has fueled some other farm systems. 2016 in total dollars is large due to Robert, and I am high on due to Sosa, Comas and Mieses. But we did not go way over as many did for a 40+ person class, and even 15 and 14 and 13 were fairly modest in terms of numbers.

Robert, at this point, may very well all be worth it. But as we returned to the market I wanted to stock up on a bigger class, exactly what you mentioned, and instead they are going after an older, more secure prospect with half the budget.

Paddy's scouts clearly have some eye for talent, I just wish they'd take more chances.