Time For Palka To Come Back Up

Soxsi75

With Anderson on the IL, which means Garcia is going to play short for the time being, it's time to bring Palka back up. Jay will play center and Palka right. There is no other choice or option. The guy hit 27 homers last year, and though he did begin the year in a miserable slump, he's now hitting .274 with an OBP of .370 with 16 homers in only 257 plate appearances.  They can't give any excuse to not bring him up. It's the only option.

Edited by Soxsi75

The Sox have 3 SP on the active roster.  That will be addressed before bringing up Palka. They are also very short on infielders, so I imagine Mendick would be next.  Then you have Castillo who needs to return from the IL in a week or so.  Then maybe Palka gets his chance again.  He's a bit down the pecking order, and wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him until September, unless there are several more injuries. 

8 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

With Anderson on the IL, which means Garcia is going to play short for the time being, it's time to bring Palka back up. Jay will play center and Palka right. There is no other choice or option. The guy hit 27 homers last year, and though he did begin the year in a miserable slump, he's now hitting .274 with an OBP of .370 with 16 homers in only 257 plate appearances.  They can't give any excuse to not bring him up. It's the only option.

Absolutely. Now, if the Sox had a veteran RF who is just a solid smart baseball player who fields well, has a little pop and runs somewhat well, that's one thing.

BUT WAIT! THEY DO!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox have 3 SP on the active roster.  That will be addressed before bringing up Palka. They are also very short on infielders, so I imagine Mendick would be next.  Then you have Castillo who needs to return from the IL in a week or so.  Then maybe Palka gets his chance again.  He's a bit down the pecking order, and wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him until September, unless there are several more injuries. 

Disagree, and I'll tell you why. Garcia's now playing short in Anderson's place so that solves the shortage of infielders problem. For the starting pitchers situation, send down one of the many minor league level relievers we currently have up here and call up a starter. Like Cease maybe? When Castillo comes off the IL, Collins goes back down. Certainly don't need 3 catchers.  

3 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

Disagree, and I'll tell you why. Garcia's now playing short in Anderson's place so that solves the shortage of infielders problem. For the starting pitchers situation, send down one of the many minor league level relievers we currently have up here and call up a starter. Like Cease maybe? When Castillo comes off the IL, Collins goes back down. Certainly don't need 3 catchers.  

Yah I disagree.  Even if Garcia is playing SS, we could use another IF.  I don't htink they plan to keep Leury in the infield everyday now either.  I do think Collins will stay when Castillo returns - Collins Dhs again RHP (occasional start at C), Castillo DHs against LHP (occasional start at C), McCann catches 5 days a week (occasional start at DH).  I actually think it works quite well.  

I do agree that the Sox are carrying an extra reliever and option Fulmer or Ruiz, or DFA Osich.  But that only solves 1 of the 2 rotation openings.  Sox may able to get by through the ASG with 4 starts though.  

Bottom line is that Palka likely isn't really that close to getting recalled.   

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah I disagree.  Even if Garcia is playing SS, we could use another IF.  I don't htink they plan to keep Leury in the infield everyday now either.  I do think Collins will stay when Castillo returns - Collins Dhs again RHP (occasional start at C), Castillo DHs against LHP (occasional start at C), McCann catches 5 days a week (occasional start at DH).  I actually think it works quite well.  

I do agree that the Sox are carrying an extra reliever and option Fulmer or Ruiz, or DFA Osich.  But that only solves 1 of the 2 rotation openings.  Sox may able to get by through the ASG with 4 starts though.  

Bottom line is that Palka likely isn't really that close to getting recalled.   

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one then because he should be. The guy has proven himself on the major league level by hitting 27 homers last year. And as I proved, he's performing at Charlotte right now. Because of his starting the year in a slump, he's become the forgotten man. And with Garcia playing short at least part of the time Anderson is out,  why do we need another infielder, unless Moncada also has to go on IL? If Moncada is only day to day, we already have Rondon as a backup infielder. Now if you think they are that high on Mendick, I guess I'd be OK with bringing him up and sending Rondon down. He certainly isn't anything to write home about. And I guess they can keep Collins up here and do what you describe, but personally I don't think Collins is ready.  And what do they do with Alonso with that scenario you gave?

2 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one then because he should be. The guy has proven himself on the major league level by hitting 27 homers last year. And as I proved, he's performing at Charlotte right now. Because of his starting the year in a slump, he's become the forgotten man. And with Garcia playing short at least part of the time Anderson is out,  why do we need another infielder, unless Moncada also has to go on IL? If Moncada is only day to day, we already have Rondon as a backup infielder. Now if you think they are that high on Mendick, I guess I'd be OK with bringing him up and sending Rondon down. He certainly isn't anything to write home about. And I guess they can keep Collins up here and do what you describe, but personally I don't think Collins is ready.  And what do they do with Alonso with that scenario you gave?

Alonso will be DFA'd when Castillo returns.  I am fairly certain of that.  He may be gone before that.  

1 hour ago, Soxsi75 said:

In an era where even the bat boys are hitting balls 400 feet (LOL). Home runs can not be the sole indicator of why you bring someone up. I appreciated what he did last year but this guy does nothing besides hit an occasional home run. he can't run, he can't field and if he isn't hitting the home run he doesn't get on base.

He's another four A player...period. Nothing more. On a good team he'd be nice to have as a late inning pinch hitter if you need a home run, on a rebuilding / developing team, he isn't needed at all in my opinion.

The obvious problem with keeping Collins is that he needs to catch more games, than he would have the opportunity to catch, with McCann. Then too, what do you do with Castillo? Collins should catch most of the games at AAA. Next year, when Castillo is gone, he could share the catching duties with McCann. Even then, I would give at least 2 out of every 3 starts to James.

Regarding Palka; the only way he gets called up is if they dump Alonso. PLEASE!!! The best advice to Yonder, if he is still getting at bats, is to remember how he hit, before 2017, when he changed his swing plane, to try to become a power hitter. Just go back to being able to make contact, and spray line drives to all fields. He isn't a prolific enough power hitter, to be using his recent approach. If he doesn't figure it out soon, he is going to play himself right out of the Big Leagues. After almost 1/2 a season, he is just about the worst hitter in the Majors.

Edited by Lillian

6 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The obvious problem with keeping Collins is that he needs to catch more games, than he would have the opportunity to catch, with McCann. Then too, what do you do with Castillo? Collins should catch most of the games at AAA. Next year, when Castillo is gone, he could share the catching duties with McCann. Even then, I would give at least 2 out of every 3 starts to James.

Regarding Palka; the only way he gets called up is if they dump Alonso. PLEASE!!!

Collins DH vs Righties, Castillo backup C, Alonso go bye bye.  Problem solved.

Edited by SouthWallace

38 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Collins DH vs Righties, Castillo backup C, Alonso go bye bye.  Problem solved.

Well, that's fine, but it doesn't completely "solve the problem". In that scenario, Collins doesn't get the much needed reps, behind the plate. 

Edited by Lillian

1 hour ago, SouthWallace said:

Who is more important to the future of the big league club, Palka or Collins?  

I love what Palk did last year but if Collins is going to get regular ABs there really isn't a spot for Palka unfortunately.  

I think there's a real possibility that Palka could be more valuable to the club going forward. Palka hit 27 home runs in the majors last year, including a few really clutch ones. I thinks there might be something about Palka's make up mentally that could make him a very good player.

Collins has 49 home runs in four years in the minors. He is a career .234 batter in the minors. There's a real possibility that Collins could turn out to the every bit as good of a batter as Cordell, Rondon, and Delmonico turned out to be (Sarcasm there). You guys all assume that Collins is a sure thing; that automatically he's gonna be a good to very good player. I think you're seeing more with your hearts than your heads. 

With that said, if I had to pick one. I would pick Collins because of the position he plays, but Collins is in no way clearly better than Palka, and I would say it's pretty close to 50/ 50 which one ends up helping the Sox more. 

Edited by vilehoopster

We know what Palka did in his rookie year. This year, at AAA, here are his split stats vs. RHP:

AB 156     DOUBLES   11  HOMERS  13   RBI'S 33      AVG       308   OBP .416 .  SLG .628   OPS  1.044

The question is; Why isn't he a better option than Alonso, to split the playing time with Abreu, between First Base and DH?

If he can produce, like he did last year, he would be a useful piece, next year, or in a trade. Alonso, gets us nothing. He isn't going to hit well enough to garner any trade interest, and he certainly should not be allowed to reach the plate appearances, which would automatically vest his option, to come back next year. Just bite the bullet and DFA him, already. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

We know what Palka did in his rookie year. This year, at AAA, here are his split stats vs. RHP:

AB 156     DOUBLES   11  HOMERS  13   RBI'S 33     AVG       308   OBP .416 .  SLG .628   OPS  1.044

The question is; Why isn't he a better option than Alonso, to split the playing time with Abreu, between First Base and DH?

If he can produce, like he did last year, he would be a useful piece, next year, or in a trade. Alonso, gets us nothing. He isn't going to hit well enough to garner any trade interest, and he certainly should not be allowed to reach the plate appearances, which would automatically vest his option, to come back next year. Just bite the bullet and DFA him, already. 

Palka has earned the callup and Alonso has earned he DFA at this point.  The only thing preventing this no brainer move from happening is Rick Hahn’s pride.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

6 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox have 3 SP on the active roster.  That will be addressed before bringing up Palka. They are also very short on infielders, so I imagine Mendick would be next.  

They have Leury to play SS and Rodon to play backup.  If Moncada is out, then they'll have to bring up somebody.

They have slap hitters on the roster.