Time For Palka To Come Back Up

Soxsi75

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I would actually like to see him in the lineup again.  He's most likely not going to be a contributer going forward but we don't have much there.  Stick him in RF the rest of the year.

Doing some thinking about it, I'm fine with him in RF. The entire rotation outside of 1, arguably 2 guys, is important going forward. Go with a better defensive team when Giolito (and Lopez) is on the mound.

I feel like people have somehow forgotten how horrendous defensively Palka has been. His performance last year is one of, and perhaps *the* worst of any outfielder in the Statcast era. Playing him in the outfield every day is like playing late career Adam Dunn out there. If the Sox play him out there again, it will really worry me about their ability to evaluate their own talent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake said:

I feel like people have somehow forgotten how horrendous defensively Palka has been. His performance last year is one of, and perhaps *the* worst of any outfielder in the Statcast era. Playing him in the outfield every day is like playing late career Adam Dunn out there. If the Sox play him out there again, it will really worry me about their ability to evaluate their own talent.

The reasons why he was out there to start the year were:

1. His bat last year was good enough to earn playing time this year.

2. He belonged at DH, but Yonder Alonso was key to our plan to convince Manny Machado to take a $50 million discount so we had to block the DH position. 

3. If he hurt us out there defensively, this wasn't a year when we were going to win anyway, we can afford weak defense if it develops a useable cheap bat. 

The flaw is not with the White Sox failing to recognize he's crappy defensively. Rather it is at a different part of the plan. 

1 hour ago, Jake said:

I'd argue playing him this year is exactly the time to do it.  Let him play the rest of the second half and see what you get out of him.  At best he helps his value, at worst we lose a game or 2 because of him.  We are going to finish 3rd in the division, it literally does not matter if we throw Palka out there and he's garbage.

18 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I would actually like to see him in the lineup again.  He's most likely not going to be a contributer going forward but we don't have much there.  Stick him in RF the rest of the year.

Do people not remember how abysmal he was in RF this year? He should not be anywhere near the field.

On 6/26/2019 at 2:25 PM, Soxsi75 said:

You may be right there. Most certainly possible. 

Well, looks like we were both right. You were right Alonso got DFA'd and Palka got brought up like I said he should have been when I started this post. 

Palka should be released before the cub series. Who is in charge of talent evaluation?  Palka doesn't even look like a major league baseball player.

Call up Robert and Madrigal.

Oh, good riddance to Fulmer. Enough is enough with him as well.

On 6/26/2019 at 1:22 PM, Soxsi75 said:

With Anderson on the IL, which means Garcia is going to play short for the time being, it's time to bring Palka back up. Jay will play center and Palka right. There is no other choice or option. The guy hit 27 homers last year, and though he did begin the year in a miserable slump, he's now hitting .274 with an OBP of .370 with 16 homers in only 257 plate appearances.  They can't give any excuse to not bring him up. It's the only option.

this aged well (just busting your chops)

I know Palka has looked terrible, but give him a chance to get it together before sending him to the trash heap. The people on here give up on player so quickly and seem to have no memory at all. 

On another thread, I said this same thing about Lopez. Yes, the guy is really struggling, but give the guy some time to pull it together. Does nobody remember last year with Lopez? It was just last year??

Well, the same logic with Palka. He hit 27 home runs last year, just last year. Three pinch hit home runs. He was the only guy who seemed to be at all clutch last year when nobody else was ever being clutch. I know you can't wait forever for him to pull it together, but give him more than a week and what, 12 or so at bats?

We are in such a hurry to dump one player and go on to the next guy on this board. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's a 4 A hitter.  Last year he hit some meaningless home runs in meaningless games.  That was last year.  This year they're not playing meaningless games and he's 1 for fucking 45.  It's inconcievable that this bum is on a major league roster.  

Yeah, we don't want to be taking left-handed at bats away from Collins who is a .234 career batter in the minors and is "he's 1 for fucking" 19. 

1 minute ago, vilehoopster said:

Yeah, we don't want to be taking left-handed at bats away from Collins who is a .234 career batter in the minors and is "he's 1 for fucking" 19. 

I'd mention Collins OBP in the minors, but I'm afraid that might be too much of a "new age" statistic for you and you will get all worked up again

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

Palka may likely not be worth much for the long haul.

But it's too early yet.

I mean not exactly the same thing.. but people were calling jiminez trash after 60 at bats.

Nobody was seriously calling Heblows trash after 60 ABs though