Who is going to pitch Friday?

ChiSox59

3 SP on the current roster.  Nova announced for Saturday, Gio for Sunday.  Lopez going today.

Santiago pitched yesterday and Detwiler on Monday.  

Covey making a rehab start tonight for Charlotte.  

Is #Ceaseday finally going to come.  Frankly, he hasn't pitched well for about a month now.  I doubt they go bullpen game 2 out of 3 games.  He hasn't pitched since last Friday.  It almost has to be Cease....right?  

4 minutes ago, bjm676 said:

hopefully Kubat.  I'm tired of watching the Despaignes and Santanas.  Kubat could be bad, but why the hell not give him a shot.

I'd like to see Kubat.  I bet we see Justin Nicolino though.  

50 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The ghost of Billy Pierce (who probably would do better than the guys they are trotting out now...)

My father's favorite Sox player of all time.  I would love to go to that game with the ghost of my Dad and bring him a Heineken and a "hot dog with the good onions" as he called it.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, wegner said:

My father's favorite Sox player of all time.  I would love to go to that game with the ghost of my Dad and bring him a Heineken and a "hot dog with the good onions" as he called it.

Speaking of Billy (who I had the honor of calling a friend):

June 27, 1958 - He came so close to perfection. Sox left hander Billy Pierce fired four one-hitters in his brilliant career, but he never came closer than on this night to baseball immortality.

With two out in the ninth inning, Pierce lost a perfect game as the Senators Ed Fitz Gerald doubled down the first base line. The hit was fair by a foot off a low outside breaking ball. The crowd at Comiskey Park stared in disbelief. The Sox won 3-0 but Pierce never came closer to pitching the ultimate masterpiece.

Another historical oddity… Fitz Gerald’s grandfather was an important businessman in Milwaukee, including the shipping industry. Years later a ship would be named after him. The name of the ship? The Edmund Fitz Gerald. (Cue the song from Gordon Lightfoot!)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

June 27, 1958 - He came so close to perfection. Sox left hander Billy Pierce fired four one-hitters in his brilliant career, but he never came closer than on this night to baseball immortality.

With two out in the ninth inning, Pierce lost a perfect game as the Senators Ed Fitz Gerald doubled down the first base line. The hit was fair by a foot off a low outside breaking ball. The crowd at Comiskey Park stared in disbelief. The Sox won 3-0 but Pierce never came closer to pitching the ultimate masterpiece.

Another historical oddity… Fitz Gerald’s grandfather was an important businessman in Milwaukee, including the shipping industry. Years later a ship would be named after him. The name of the ship? The Edmund Fitz Gerald. (Cue the song from Gordon Lightfoot!)

I caddied for Pierce once in a golf outing.  Couldn't have been a nicer guy.  That was one thing about being a Sox fan over a Cubs fan, I usually got to pick a Sox player in our annual Baseball Charities Golf Outing to caddie for because of how many Cub fans there were...even on the south side. 

Over the years I caddied for Pierce, Farmer, Bill Melton, & Konerko.  Konerko was especially exciting because it was the 2000 season before he was really known, he decided he wanted to walk instead of ride in a cart so I got to carry his bag (he actually used Greg Norton's clubs), and he got a hole in one to win a trip to Ireland.  Easily one of my most enjoyable rounds ever.  It was funny too because the guys in the cart didn't really know who Konerko was because it was so early in his career that Paulie pretty much just talked to me the whole time.

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Fuck it just call up Cease. He can try figuring it out in the majors. Although it would probably be better if there was a James Shields-veteran type here as well.

It's funny how Shields right now wouldn't look all that bad with the vomit bag we have for 4/5 of the rotation. 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, wegner said:

One of the nicest men I have ever had the pleasure of spending time around.

Billy was the FIL of my old man's best friend growing up - RIP as Jerry died before Billy at a young age. Billy was also my old man's little league coach. Billy played in a day when you had an offseason job. 

Billy was always upbeat and positive and overall a pleasure to be around. He was robbed of the HOF - he was better than Whitey he just played for some of the worst offenses in MLB history.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Terrific story...thanks Lip

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

One of the nicest men I have ever had the pleasure of spending time around.

Billy was the FIL of my old man's best friend growing up - RIP as Jerry died before Billy at a young age. Billy was also my old man's little league coach. Billy played in a day when you had an offseason job. 

Billy was always upbeat and positive and overall a pleasure to be around. He was robbed of the HOF - he was better than Whitey he just played for some of the worst offenses in MLB history.

Billy Pierce, a Sox legend in my opinion and a man who you only hear terrific things about.  Minnie Minoso is the same way.  I never had the pleasure to meet either of them but my wife met Minnie at her work one day and she said he was the nicest man.  Plus she brought me,  her then fiancé and now lucky husband Minnie's signed autograph and I was thrilled.