Don’t be surprised if Ryan Goins is called up

KnightsOnMintSt

24 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Having a great year. .318BA and a .926OPS.

Who cares?  He’s 31.  He’s an AAAA player and has zero place on this team.  Stay in the minors please.  I don’t even care much about Mendick but he should obviously be called up before Goings.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

16 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Who cares?  He’s 31.  He’s an AAAA player and has zero place on this team.  Stay in the minors please.  I don’t even care much about Mendick but he should obviously be called up before Goings.

They're not calling him up as the future SS. He's a stopgap while Timmy is on the IL. What does it matter what his future holds?

6 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

They're not calling him up as the future SS. He's a stopgap while Timmy is on the IL. What does it matter what his future holds?

Because you let the kid in Mendick have a shot while there is a shot to give.  Major league opportunities are going to be harder to come by in 2020 and beyond.  You don't waste these opportunities on AAAA players in their 30s like Goins.   

10 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

I get wanting to see Mendick more than Goins, but it is almost certainly going to be 8 games. I can't get worked up over that.

Timmy is almost certainly going to be out more than 8 games.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Timmy is almost certainly going to be out more than 8 games.  

The first game after the All-Star break is 15 days after the injury. It looks like a pretty run of the mill ankle to me, two weeks should hopefully be enough time.

1 minute ago, TomPickle said:

The first game after the All-Star break is 15 days after the injury. It looks like a pretty run of the mill ankle to me, two weeks should hopefully be enough time.

High ankle sprains usually take at least a month to heal.  Same injury Eloy had.  He missed just short of a month.  

17 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Call up both Goins and Mendick. Cordell is showing some life, but Rondon has not turned the corner, give these guys in AAA that are playing well a chance.

Ryan Goins has over 1500 mlb plate appearances. He’s well into his 30s. He’s had his chance and he’s been awful. There is zero benefit to giving him or Escobar or any other journeyman player that isn’t a pitcher a chance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The one way in which it would make sense is if you plan to have Leury and/or Rondon covers all the innings at SS and just need a bench guy. In that case, no reason to call up a semi-prospect in Mendick just to have him sit on a bench for 2 or 3 weeks.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ryan Goins has over 1500 mlb plate appearances. He’s well into his 30s. He’s had his chance and he’s been awful. There is zero benefit to giving him or Escobar or any other journeyman player that isn’t a pitcher a chance. 

I dont agree with this. Why even have these journeymen players then? He is performing, what more can we ask for? Goins is perfect for a spot start and utility role, rather then a younger player who needs more playing time and would benefit staying in the minors until ready for a full time ML role.

As far as Mendick, I would send down Rondon, put Sanchez on the bench and let Mendick start for a month or two.

Edited by Chisox378

Just now, Chisox378 said:

I dont agree with this. Why even have these journeymen players then? He is performing, what more can we ask for? Goins is perfect for a spot start and utility role, rather then a younger player who needs more playing time and would benefit staying in the minors.

As far as Mendick, I would send down Rondon, put Sanchez on the bench and let Mendick start for a month or two.

This probably isn't even worth responding.

Rondon can't be sent down, he'd need to DFA'd as he out of options.

Journeyman players make very little sense for a team like the White Sox that are in the later stages of a rebuilding process.  If the Sox have opportunities to give, it should go to younger guys that are going to have a hard time breaking into the bigs in the next season or two.  Mendick fits that description.

If the plan was to just let Rondon play SS for a few weeks while Timmy is out and Sanchez stays at 2B and its purely as a back-up IF that plays once per week, sure I'd prefer to use a guy like Goins over a guy like Mendick.  But Rondon is not an everyday player, and Yoan seems to be getting dinged up alot this season, so whomever is the back-up infielder the next few weeks is going to get a decent amount of work.  Don't waste those at bats on a shit player like Goins, or Escobar for that matte.r