FS: 2019-20 White Sox International Preview

Rankin

Thanks James, this was great.

I don't know, I'm in between arguments. THings have certainly shifted to the point where I think we can really say paddy has become successful. He has identified and pushed for signing an all star 1b, the top prospect in baseball (of which we get no fruits), a top 5 prospect in baseball, and for a time top 100 prospect in baseball (adolfo).

But I am not sure I buy this "sox prefer a quantitative approach" mainly because the sox are rarely even at the top for most signings in any given period are they? Seems like the yankees still sign 30 guys plus 3-4 top 30 ones. Other teams aren't avoiding signing lenyn sosas, they have their own in their class.

It doesn't mean they are bad or wrong, but after years of lack of success I'd just like sox to go all-in more. A complete quantity play with the most signings of all teams in a period. A play like the yankees or as where we throw everything ad jasson dominguez or puason. But they are just half-in, they say they are quantity but don't actually own the 500-1million market either.

It's just confusing but the next two years are going to provide the most clarity, because there seems to be some production that may come out of the 17/18 classes, more than expected.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bmags said:

Thanks James, this was great.

I don't know, I'm in between arguments. THings have certainly shifted to the point where I think we can really say paddy has become successful. He has identified and pushed for signing an all star 1b, the top prospect in baseball (of which we get no fruits), a top 5 prospect in baseball, and for a time top 100 prospect in baseball (adolfo).

But I am not sure I buy this "sox prefer a quantitative approach" mainly because the sox are rarely even at the top for most signings in any given period are they? Seems like the yankees still sign 30 guys plus 3-4 top 30 ones. Other teams aren't avoiding signing lenyn sosas, they have their own in their class.

It doesn't mean they are bad or wrong, but after years of lack of success I'd just like sox to go all-in more. A complete quantity play with the most signings of all teams in a period. A play like the yankees or as where we throw everything ad jasson dominguez or puason. But they are just half-in, they say they are quantity but don't actually own the 500-1million market either.

It's just confusing but the next two years are going to provide the most clarity, because there seems to be some production that may come out of the 17/18 classes, more than expected.

Yeah this is all true. They also don't have 2 DSL affiliates which could be one of the issues maybe. I'm curious to see what happens because Getz is pushing some of these guys through. Very small samples but Mieses has a 118 wRC+ in Great Falls and Harvin Mendoza is posting a 155. They may have some guys. They used to have absolutely nobody though so we might just have to accept them being average. It annoys me that they are so averse to risk and I tried to be fair about it in the piece. 

14 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah this is all true. They also don't have 2 DSL affiliates which could be one of the issues maybe. I'm curious to see what happens because Getz is pushing some of these guys through. Very small samples but Mieses has a 118 wRC+ in Great Falls and Harvin Mendoza is posting a 155. They may have some guys. They used to have absolutely nobody though so we might just have to accept them being average. It annoys me that they are so averse to risk and I tried to be fair about it in the piece. 

Right, this year, especially, really this month, I took stock of it all and felt like it was impossible to say it has been a failure. It has still struggled to get guys through A-ball, but those in AZL/Gfalls and to some extent now in kanny are performing ahead of their prior peers. And even short of superstars, they lack just getting depth, utility infielders, 4th outfielders, stuff that other teams generate easily.

Pitching however has just been unbelievably empty. I'm very excited for guzman but that's like 6 years away. FDLS was the last guy that provided any value I can think of.

You'd think random chance we'd have run into one in the last 10 years that sprouted up.

According to the story today at MLB.com none of the top 30 international prospects are supposedly being signed by the Sox. The Yankees will sign the top prospect an outfielder and the #18 prospect. The Cubs will also be signing two of the top ones.

For those who follow any ideas why the Sox aren't involved in any of these guys?

https://www.mlb.com/news/international-prospect-signings-july-2-2019

30 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

According to the story today at MLB.com none of the top 30 international prospects are supposedly being signed by the Sox. The Yankees will sign the top prospect an outfielder and the #18 prospect. The Cubs will also be signing two of the top ones.

For those who follow any ideas why the Sox aren't involved in any of these guys?

https://www.mlb.com/news/international-prospect-signings-july-2-2019

Sanchez was #5 in last year's rankings.  Not sure why he didn't sign then and what has happened to his stock since.  

On 6/27/2019 at 10:25 AM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Just to put a bow on our discussion, the yankees signed 13 guys despite signing Dominguez for 5 million (nearly all of their pool). The quantity aspect of the sox just never seems in the top 15 of everyone else (who also seem to have top guys)

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Just to put a bow on our discussion, the yankees signed 13 guys despite signing Dominguez for 5 million (nearly all of their pool). The quantity aspect of the sox just never seems in the top 15 of everyone else (who also seem to have top guys)

Maybe even with the changes in how this all takes place JR still isn't comfortable paying for "potential" as opposed to actual results.

• Rankin unpinned this topic