6/27 Games #CeaseDay

soxfan49

55 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

We have a huge stockpile of 1B/DH types.  Part of the reason I wanted Bleday.🤷‍♂

Yeah, but Vaughn is a way better player than Sheets/Mercedes/Collins/Burger/whoever. Don’t draft on need, and none of those guys are guaranteed to fill that need anyhow.

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

Yeah, but Vaughn is a way better player than Sheets/Mercedes/Collins/Burger/whoever. Don’t draft on need, and none of those guys are guaranteed to fill that need anyhow.

Bleday is also better than Tilson, Cordell, Palka, Rutherford, Walker and plays a more valuable position.  They were graded pretty similar as well.  I'm not going to beat a dead horse about it but we will see.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

What does Yermin Mercedes need to do to get some attention. 

According to some soxtalk experts hes a bad defensive catcher and too fat, too old.

Seems like he can hit for average and has some decent pop in the minors atleast.

33 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

Is there any data suggesting the Mercedes is a bad defensive catcher? 45% caught stealing. Seems like atleast an average catcher defensively? Or am I way off?

From what I read, he's always had a strong arm, but struggles with everything else. Per BA after the 2016 season when he was still with the Orioles:

His defense behind the plate needs a lot of work in terms of blocking and receiving, but he has a plus arm and threw out 30 percent of basestealers in 2016. He also had made pro appearances at first base, third base and left field. He wasn't protected on the 40-man roster and wasn't picked in the Rule 5 draft, a sign he lacks the defensive polish to stay behind the plate full time. He should spend most of 2017 at Double-A Bowie.

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

From what I read, he's always had a strong arm, but struggles with everything else. Per BA after the 2016 season when he was still with the Orioles:

That is from 2016 though. You figure that he could/should have improved in the last 3 years??